User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What are your phobias?

I can't say they're phobias, though they do cause me general ugh from the keeping a wide berth, to the crying, sometimes yelling and running like a spazz, and feeling sick levels, depending on the situation.

Having blood taken from my elbow - I'd say this is the worst of the three.
    Heights - Conversely I also get the urge to jump when I look over edges .

Can I add intimacy phobia? >_>
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent

I couldn't find my phobia on the list, but I suppose staurophobia is the closest one. I have a phobia of religious iconography. I can't be alone in a church or in a room with a lot of religious statuary or crucifixes. I had a lot of nightmares (mostly in childhood, but every now and then to this day) about seeing religious visions or being present when religious statues or crucifixes become animated.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Staurophobia - Crosses or the crucifix.
    I actually used to have a fear of when I was younger due to a scary movie that my brother was watching. This really religious person wearing a cross was murdered by poisonous snakes. D: My parents got me a cross necklace for my birthday shortly after (they didn't see the movie). I was very nervous whenever I wore it, but I've gotten better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewitter27
    Peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth- Arachibutyrophobia.
    That's my favorite one.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    That's my favorite one.
    Teehee. Mine too. I'm always tempted to test it out and make it stick (if only I could stand the taste of peanut butter).

I don't have phobias. I think. I dislike some things, though, but not so much that it would paralyze me.

Arachnophobia - spiders.
    Automysophobia - Dirty, being dirty or personal filth.
    Claustrophobia - being closed in.
    Dystychiphobia - accidents.
    Catagelophobia or Katagelophobia - being ridiculed.
    Lygophobia - being in a dark place.
    Panthophobia - suffering and disease.
    Pharmacophobia - medicine, taking or drugs.
    Social Phobia - being evaluated negatively in social situations.
    Soteriophobia - dependence on others.

Ergophobia or Ponophobia - work
    Phobophobia - phobias

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

lamely enough, botanophobia (fear of plants) and chronophobia (in my case fear of clocks)

yeah... I know, pretty bad

at least my Coulrophobia (fear of clowns) is a sensible one (there's no fear of mimes on there )
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member Array laughingebony's Avatar

Ants- Myrmecophobia
    If there are just a few, then there's nothing to worry about. In numbers, though, they freak me out.

Bolsheviks- Bolshephobia
    Just for fun.

Beautiful women- Caligynephobia
    I get nervous around beautiful women.

Cancer- Cancerophobia, Carcinophobia
    Carcinogens make me cringe.

Creepy, crawly things- Herpetophobia
    They're so... creepy... and crawly. *shudders*

Decisions: making decisions- Decidophobia
    I have trouble making even simple decisions, like what I want to eat.

Single: staying single- Anuptaphobia
    I guess being single is okay for now, but the thought of being single forever is horrifying.

Skin lesions - Dermatophobia
    Only on myself, really. This is a result of my previous experience with acne.

Speaking in public- Glossophobia
    My brain goes into panic mode.

Tyrants- Tyrannophobia

Venereal disease or prostitutes- Cypridophobia, Cypriphobia, Cyprianophobia, or Cyprinophobia

Granted, none of these qualify as actual phobias; they're just things that make me feel substantially uncomfortable.

I might, however, have a genuine generalized social phobia.

Senior Member Array

Phobia flying in airplanes.
    Phobia doing sex.
    That's about it.

152 so/sx
    INTp Ni

Some old fears:

Atychiphobia (Failure) - Oh, good times. Long story. Very likely the longest fear I've had.

Philophobia (Being loved) - I used to have an intense fear of being liked. If someone confessed they romantically admired me, I'd think about settling on a new island far, far away. This probably stemmed from my parent's marital troubles affecting me as a young teen, and it slightly scarred me because I was afraid I'd make an endless number of stupid choices if I allowed myself to feel deeply. That and I didn't want to risk being manipulated, hurt and loosing my self-identity by my emotional attachments. Once I found someone I could completely trust, this fear became a habit of the past -- nevertheless, it was a long, difficult path. Before then, I only 'liked' the guys whom I could keep my emotional walls with, and stayed away from the ones who I felt would take them down.

Being nurtured - A combination of a fear of dependence on other people (steriophobia), personal attachment and loosing control. And just plain awkwardness: "What should I do?!?" I'm used to being the giver that I feel weird and vulnerable when I switch positions.

Loosing self-control - Super long story. Second to my fear of failure. Everything could be tied into this.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

Senior Member Array MiasmaResonance's Avatar
    5w? sp/sx

Anything new- Neophobia.
    Changes, making; moving- Tropophobia or Metathesiophobia.
    Crowded public places like markets- Agoraphobia.
    "A spill at the plant increased the phosphates in the lake and produced a scum of algae so thick that the swamp smell filled the air, infiltrating the genteel mansions. Debutantes cried over the misfortune of coming out in a season everyone would remember for its bad smell."

Default Phobias

Do you have one?

I'm more repulsed than afraid, but . . .

Trypophobia: The unofficial word adopted by Urban Dictionary to describe persons with an irrational fear of clusters of holes, pods, circles, cracks and/or other asymmetrical shapes which results in an all-over itchy feeling and general uneasiness.

I get chills just thinking about it. My general impulse is to claw away at the cluster of holes in question until the surface is flat and even.

Here's a video.