• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are your phobias?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't really have any irrational fears, except speaking in public.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I have a fear of things that don't end, or at least are immeasurable, like space, and the concept of eternity. It always baffled me that anyone would WANT to live forever, because the idea of going on and on, knowing you'd never die just scares the crap out of me. I can't think about the concept of it too long without getting seriously freaked out.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Deep-sea anglerfish. The teeth! The horror! The irrationality of it all! Their teeth are so damn big that it prevents them from closing their mouths without stabbing their own brains. Whenever I look at them I can't help but picture a mass of em latching onto my arms, legs, torso, etc. Makes me shiver and gag.

That and Great Cthulhu.

Those things are like a nightmare come true! But I love them for their weirdness.

I have no unusual phobias... They are all pretty typical, social phobia, scared of the dark, afraid of being alone, blood, guts, yeah. :p

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Swimming in deep water - notably the ocean, but even deep diving pools scare me a bit. Occasionally I've been in a snorkelling situation where I'm swimming along in water ~ 3 metres deep and then suddenly I swim over a ledge and the bottom drops down down down down... Not a nice feeling. I don't think I could handle swimming over the Mariana trench, for instance. It's probably just my fear of heights.

Oh, and styrofoam forks.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Snails, Slugs.
(not really odd but the reasons behind my phobia makes my best friend think I am a complete weirdo)
I get so scared when I see them, because I once read this manga about them (sort of) world dominating the world by turning lazy and slow people into snails and since then, I am terribly afraid of them.

Spiders, insects etc.
I am not scared when there is only one of them, alone. or two (I just flicked them off, or crushed them) but if they are huddled and clustered together, :vader1::vader1::vader1::vader1::vader1:, I get so scared looking at them. And I just realized most of my phobias stem from the fact that I am afraid of world domination. Humans clustered together = nahhh, since they already dominated the world. Maybe, I am scared of change.

Usehername

On a mission
I have a REALLY strange one. I'm even embarrassed to type it.

I have a phobia of religious supernatural phenomena. You know, statues coming to life, paintings becoming animated, apparitions, etc. It started in childhood when I had a series of nightmares about experiencing these things. I still get those nightmares, just not as often. I think it's curious and telling that dreams on this topic are nightmares...many people would find them joyful.

As a result, I absolutely cannot be alone in a church or any religious building with lots of statues, icons, or the like.

That's awfully hard for a Catholic like yourself, no? I wonder if there's any others like you who are now Protestant for that fact alone.

Usehername

On a mission
I'm mildly phobic of clowns and horses. Though so long as I'm not over-tired, I can pretend things are okay. Inside I'm freakin' out.
horsetripalbertayr8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On this excursion in rural Northern Alberta, I asked to be put on the most slow and gentle horse. They put me on a really, really (gentle) old one. I was always last (which made for good photo ops, though!)
My horse, Cowboy, was so old, that on the way back, we were lagging so far behind that the rancher who patiently waited for me told me that it was "about time to take Cowboy out back and put a bullet in 'em and be done with it" and that he'd "do it after lunch." I laughed, thinking he was making jokes to pass the time as my horse slowly moved along.
He wasn't joking.
RIP Cowboy Fall 2005.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I have a fascination with bloody and macabre art, partly because I can not dare stare at gore and blood for too long without being repulsed and paralyzed. I, like Haphazard, will have to cite my overactive imagination as the culprit. It's not full blown blood phobia in that I don't come close to fainting. Another quirk is that, for instance, if the art showcases some flesh wounds, or I just see them in everyday life, my hands automatically check the corresponding areas on my own body. If I see a wound in the eye I can spend some time checking with my hands if my own eyes are still there and healthy, mostly by touching the eyelids. Just thinking about it made me interrupt my posting and touch my eyes...ugh. Or, for instance, I'm watching a match in the current Euro 2008, and if a player's ends up receiving a bloody injury or wound... same thing.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have a phobia of driving some place I haven't been to before. Like what if I get lost, or can't figure out where to park? Well, I used to be scared to drive at all, so I've improved at least.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm not very fond of mirrors when it's dark. They just creep me out.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
When I'm working on the beach at night, the light reflecting with the shadows on the water look like groovy dancing spirits.

They're going to get me.

I have a REALLY strange one. I'm even embarrassed to type it.

I don't think that one's so strange. A lot of people have fears of inanimate objects coming to life. It's not one that troubles me, but if I get it in my head, I'll be freaked out.

comicsgurl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Balloons - specifically, little kids and balloons. I ha-a-ate little kids' birthday parties because they're usually very balloon-friendly. Little kids + ballons = popping nonsense.

Mole

Permabanned
The Patient Couldn't Hear a Word

I have a fascination with bloody and macabre art, partly because I can not dare stare at gore and blood for too long without being repulsed and paralyzed. I, like Haphazard, will have to cite my overactive imagination as the culprit. It's not full blown blood phobia in that I don't come close to fainting. Another quirk is that, for instance, if the art showcases some flesh wounds, or I just see them in everyday life, my hands automatically check the corresponding areas on my own body. If I see a wound in the eye I can spend some time checking with my hands if my own eyes are still there and healthy, mostly by touching the eyelids. Just thinking about it made me interrupt my posting and touch my eyes...ugh. Or, for instance, I'm watching a match in the current Euro 2008, and if a player's ends up receiving a bloody injury or wound... same thing.

A friend of mine, Arturo, a medical student took me into the operating theatre to watch a live, eye operation.

I turned up at the hospital and went into pre-op with Arturo. Naturally they thought I was another medical student.

We all scrubbed up together and put on our gowns and masks and went into the operating theatre.

I had never seen an operation before so I didn't know how I would react to the blood but to my surprise I was quite sanguine during the whole operation.

Although there was a moment when the anesthetist asked me to go out into the corridor and get some more gas.

I didn't know which cylinder to get but luckily I chose the right one.

I must admit, it was quite an experience but I was pleased to discover I don't faint at the sight of blood.

And, oh yes, the really odd thing was that although the eye was right out of the socket and blood all over the face, the surgeons talked about the horse races during the whole operation. Luckily the patient couldn't hear a word.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Aside from a ridilculous fear about being stabbed in the eye, my biggest fear at moment is of having a heart attack.

I can't think about hearts, see hearts or feel a heartbeat without starting to panic. The biggest problem about this is that I can't get away from it for physical reasons, and I can never ever be in a completely comfortable situation. In fact in bed is when the phobia manifests itself to the greatest height.

My skewed rationale that created the fear is I supposed one day that maybe if you thought about it enough you can give yourself a heart attack based purely on will power. So I started worrying that because I was worrying I would give myself one, and it's been like that ever since.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Plants with large leaves :cry:

I'm quite serious there- I live in dread terror that a large leaved plant will come into contact with my flesh! *shudder*

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Plants with large leaves :cry:

I'm quite serious there- I live in dread terror that a large leaved plant will come into contact with my flesh! *shudder*

You need some exposure therapy.

Now did I mean that this way? :) Or this way?:devil:

BridgeCable

MBTI Type
INTJ
Phobias

I have an extreme fear of being skewered in the armpits by ancient tribal communities or the occult. At night i cannot sleep unless my arms are folded or unless i tuck blankets in such a way that my arms are at my sides in cocoon-like fashion.

It all started with incessant tickling that, to me, is not fun, and is extremely painful. I would laugh when tickled, but coupled with the maniacal laughter i expressed would be this sort of deathly fear and pain that lingered under the surface and i couldn't express. I am guilty of tickling my brother and he has also mentioned pain, perhaps a genetic predisposition to tickling sensitivity?

Anyways it started to become a fear when, at my grandparents house, me my brother and my cousin were all wrestling, fighting, tickling, what young kids do, in front of the TV, it was national geographic or the dc and it showed these tribes that took schiskabob-like things and punctured their bodies, even their tongues! That image is in my mind to this day as vivid as the present images i experience... This was experienced while i was being tickled, perhaps classical conditioning? That night was the first night i remember feeling afraid of my armpits being violated while i slept by sharp skewers, held by savages or things of this nature.
I don't know, but I, to this day fear armpit puncturing or swarms of ticks and other critters assaulting them and burrowing into my lungs or heart or something...Ugh, irrational i know but, feelings trump thought in this one, that is why phobias are so fascinating i guess.

Last edited: