• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Difference between stupidity and being ambitious?

Snow Turtle

[YOUTUBE="OYC92sUwCzQ"]Bike Stunt[/YOUTUBE]

Taken from another student forum. Personally I thought he should be given credited for being motivated enough to do something with his life.

Where's the line?
Was it amusing?
What do you think of risk taking behaviour?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Firstly, wicked soundtrack to the video.

He pushed the boundaries to prove it was possible. I give him full credit for it.
Thank god he kept body limp and didn't tense up, that was pretty nasty.

My philosophy, if your time is up, go out with a bang. :)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Where's the line? What line? ;)
Was it amusing? More exciting. I love watching people push the limits. Can't believe you can ride a bike that fast.
What do you think of risk taking behaviour? Taking risks is the key to living. On extreme risks, each to their own. If some guy wants to jump the grand canyon on a motorbike, awesome for him. Personally I'd take something I had a good chance of surviving.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Where's the line?

The line is different for some than for others. Personally, I wouldn't do something like this.

Was it amusing?

Amusing? Not really. The slow-motion was very interesting though. Amazing that he survived and intriguing that he doesn't remember anything.

What do you think of risk taking behaviour?

This kind of risk-taking behavior? Not much, I wouldn't do it. I do give this guy the credit for actually doing this, he had to have known the possible consequences.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
In my eyes a line appears right where you start risking serious injury. There are many people who do stupid thing though, mistakes are needed to learn and boundaries are there to be pushed if progression is desired.

The video was somewhat funny 'till he fell off.

To each their own - am much as it pisses me off a little; that he's willing to cause his girlfriend and loved ones major amounts of worry and perhaps money, even risk death because that's what floats his boat.

But there are many ways a person can get hurt, the world is a screwed up place, so if that happens with him doing something to be proud of then who am I to complain?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That doesn't really look that bad. I've fallen from my bike while going at 65 km/h, and I just got a little bit of shoulder pain. I've reached 90 km/h and yeah it looks scary, but that's not something I'd characterize as extreme.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'd say you have to know you're taking a risk and are ready to face the repercussions in order to be ambitious instead of stupid.

I think risk taking behavior is pretty uh, risky. Seems like if things turn out well, you're brave, and if things turn out bad, you're stupid. Personally, I'd never do something like that.

And no I didn't think that was amusing, just watching it for me was painful, lol.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
It's only stupid if you aren't aware of the risk. Awareness of the risk involved makes it a choice like any other. Living is risk. Is it stupid to cross the street? Every time a person crosses an intersection, he is taking the risk of being hit by a car. Whether they're currently thinking about that doesn't matter. For 99.9999999% of people, that risk is worth taking. It's up to the individual to define his own limits of acceptable risk. If you gamble and lose, well, it happens.

Kudos to anyone bold enough to know the risks and act anyway.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I went 100km/h on asphalt road, but I got so scared of the poor mobility and how little brakes affected the speed, I slowed down as safely as I could to 50 or so. Sometimes I remember the fear of driving down from a cliff. If I'd be good with that kind of risk, okay, but I don't see the personal benefit - if I don't include getting to know my limits and the experience of understanding to back off.

In my opinion, it's more of a challenge to make risks like that profitable. If you can translate the stunt for fame, and in the end, money, okay. I'd calculate the risks and benefits. Fear wouldn't be a factor. How can I fear something I've noticed to be profitable?

I'm seeing these stuntmen, daredevils and such as businessmen. If not that, then artists. If not that, then it's for personal kicks.

Personally, I once prayed on a mountaintop I would be able to appreciate my life enough so as to drive it down carefully. My speed dropped from something like 70-80km/h to 40-50, when I considered what was safe speed for me. Most of the excitement was gone, though it was still fun.

In my opinion, I experienced excitement only at the risk of severe personal injury or loss of life. Weighing in the risks, I personally decided to continue the safer way. Extreme risks aren't for me, if I can't translate them to something useful.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
That doesn't really look that bad. I've fallen from my bike while going at 65 km/h, and I just got a little bit of shoulder pain. I've reached 90 km/h and yeah it looks scary, but that's not something I'd characterize as extreme.

Km/h=/=Mph

The guy in the video was going at 104Mph(167km/h).

Usehername

On a mission
Km/h=/=Mph

I think he knew that and was just illustrating his point--that even as a "regular guy" he can hit serious speed on his bicycle. (FWIW my top riding speed is only 44km/h solo riding, because hills pretty much do not exist where I am from.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Km/h=/=Mph

Yes, I know ;) still, with his body armor, it doesn't look that extreme. He probably took into account the possibility of falling and built the protection accordingly.