User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Translucent Emotions

What I mean by translucent emotions is, in effect, emotions lacking the qualitative aspect.

So, I think the most common one is stress. Often times I realise that my forehead is feeling tight, and other telltale signs arise to show that in fact I have been feeling stress, but haven't felt it directly.

Another common one is anger, where it is only after my actions take place that I realise the base motivation was anger.

These stand in stark contrast to regular emotions, where it is completely obvious when say, stress and anger are present, from the moment they are. Instead, I have to observe myself to realise these sneaky things are running around. Which often requires as much focus as controlling strong emotions does.

Am I being crazy or have some of you found the same thing going on in your psyche?

If so, any idea what their nature is? Repression maybe? Any tips on how to spot them?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I can feel cold when I'm stressed.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy can be effective in explaining/dealing with this problem.

Here's a link:

Dialectical behavioral therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

Ahh, I think I see.
    Sounds a bit like people who get flashes of rage, and then blank it out

I find for me it's due to thinking though my emotions, and runing away from or repressing the strong ones.

In my experience it's to do with repression, or stress, but I'm not all that sure.
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Dialectical Behavioral Therapy can be effective in explaining/dealing with this problem.

Here's a link:

Dialectical behavioral therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ha, thanks.

The mindfulness part is what I've been doing already to spot these things. Specifically though, present moment within myself, as opposed to focusing on something external. I find it's my own bias (i.e. I'm always calm and rational!!!) that makes me invisible to the external signs of these emotions, and Buddhist-like meditation is one way of eliminating that bias. They remain invisible internally though.

Distress tolerance sounds awfully familiar as well...

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

Any tips for being too 'in your head'?

Ooh, meditation is definatly one to go for
    Come along Fool

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
    Ahh, I think I see.
    Sounds a bit like people who get flashes of rage, and then blank it out.
    Really? I've never experienced anything like that. These aren't exactly powerful emotions I'm talking about here. It might even be their weak nature that makes them "translucent".

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more powerful versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
    I find for me it's due to thinking though my emotions, and runing away from or repressing the strong ones.

In my experience it's to do with repression, or stress, but I'm not all that sure.
    Hmm. Are you one to put a large portion of effort into controlling your emotions? (or trying to?)

I was lead to believe that precisely because I put so much effort into "mastering" my emotions, that I discovered these invisible ones. They are an obstacle I am having to face now, because the larger obstacles have been dealt with.

It's interesting that they could be a result of these actions. They certainly are a smaller burden than strong (negative) emotions, so it would still mean I have been successful.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Really? I've never experienced anything like that. These aren't exactly powerful emotions I'm talking about here. It might even be their weak nature that makes them "translucent".

Hmm. Are you one to put a large portion of effort into controlling your emotions? (or trying to?)

I was lead to believe that precisely because I put so much effort into "mastering" my emotions, that I discovered these invisible ones. They are an obstacle I am having to face now, because the larger ones have been dealt with.
    One of my friends radomly exploded apparently, at her sister once, just started screaming incomprehensibly, out of no where.

I think it's probably repressed rage.

I suffer from exceeding introspection - constantly analysing and evaluating - which numbs me raaaather alot. I must abide by my inner sense of values (NF), yet N and P lead me to be overly abstract and overly second guessing, so it gets rather vague.

So there arn't really big emotions, 'till my unconscious can't take them, and I get lost looking for the small ones.
    Come along Fool

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post

I have to observe myself to realise these sneaky things are running around. Which often requires as much focus as controlling strong emotions does.

Am I being crazy or have some of you found the same thing going on in your psyche?

If so, any idea what their nature is?
    One possible explanation could be "Tertiary Temptation."

The "Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki" defines it this way:

The temptation, when we feel pressure from our Inferior Function, to explain our problems to ourselves in terms of an attitude opposite to our Secondary Function. This supports the self-understanding of our Dominant Function in Extraverted or Introverted terms, whichever we are most accustomed to. This cognitive move doesn't lead us to address the real problems, which would require a more genuine change in perspective; it does, however, restore an inner sense of harmony.

And specifcally, for an INxP, Tertiary Temptation looks like this :

Tertiary Si (INxP): "I can't possibly go along with this, I don't have any reliable concepts or map to anchor myself with: it's all arbitrary and untrustworthy and meaningless. I'd be diving in without any orientation; I'd be tripped up or harmed from any random direction, and my efforts wouldn't be cumulative. I just won't budge. I'll build myself some barricades and wait for the storm to blow over."
    There seems to be a basic fear of losing control here.

I think the bolded part has to do with denying/supressing emotion, out of fear of losing control.

The solution?

Develop Secondary Ne:

The Secondary Function (Ne) would say: "Look around, shake up the pot, see what new arises, and deal with it imaginatively; there must be better alternatives available than being stuck here." (My secondary Ne says something more in the lines of "Pay attention to your surroundings and do the thing that will have the most interesting results. Don't be dumb just because you don't have any experience.")
    Of course, DBT and Mindfulness Meditation seem to help too --which is probably more about developing Sensing.

In any case, I think it's good to know there are many tools available to sort these things out.

I hope this helps.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

Yay for get up off your ass and do something about it! Action and psyical work can be good for releasing different tensions that haven't registered in the conscious mind yet.

It most certainly does help
    Come along Fool