User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Does technical knowledge breed arrogance?

I've noticed something interesting since I got back into computers. I seem to feel very confident when I work with them, and have to fight very hard to avoid sounding condescending or or full of myself when I talk about them to other people. With any other subject, I'm rather humble, polite, tentative, or unsure of what I say.

It seems as though something about mastering the kind of technical knowledge associated with computers has the potential to breed arrogance in people who wouldn't normally be all that arrogant. I have noticed that that kind of arrogance seems to increase in people who get into computing, as well, though I could be imagining it.

It seems reminiscent of what I've heard about Mages and arcane magic users in fantasy universes.

What do you think?

MBTI
    INTP

Here is a tip for anyone who wants to build a client-base for independent IT consulting: treat people with respect. If you do that, you will steal so many clients from greasy nerds with narcissistic personality disorder.

Oh and,

[YOUTUBE="5TzHbcXYwI4"]Nick Burns: Your Company's Computer Guy[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="-U0OKO3-IM4"]Part 2 Nick Burns, Your Company's Computer Guy[/YOUTUBE]

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Hmmm well I do notice myself switch over to "task mode" when I'm troubleshooting things, which means I tend to be "in control" and saying/explain stuff that could be taken as condescending... but really I'm mostly talking to myself.

I guess knowledge of any sort above the level of the other person breeds arrogance regardless of the subject matter. Something to actively avoid as said by Alwar
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

All technical language is exclusive by nature, and that can be off-putting, and many people like that effect. It separates them (and their knowledge) from others.
    If you want to talk about to people who don't speak the language, then use analogies with common items or concepts to get the point across. Anti-jargon!

MBTI
    entp

go help some hot girl...be just the right amount of condescending and youll get her number

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    go help some hot girl...be just the right amount of condescending and youll get her number
    +1

Girls seem to be attracted to the dickhead wearing a dickhead disguise. It works really well.

On topic though. I had a networking class a year ago and at the beginning I was a little intimidated by all of the jargon. By then end of the class, I realized how much people take to pride the exclusive knowledge of the jargon. It turns good people into giant douche-a-saurus-rexes.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ouh yes baby

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP

I think knowing about computers up and down is simple. I can build one from the ground up and build large networks if i want to. But I'm not proud about it in anyway i more feel ashamed i know that much about computers really. I think the real pride should be the people who build the actual technology like motherboards, processors and video cards. Those people have real talent you start seeming like a know it all with computers some people will just think your narcissistic.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.derekrhode.com/MiscHosting/Pics/151645.png[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    All technical language is exclusive by nature, and that can be off-putting, and many people like that effect. It separates them (and their knowledge) from others.
    If you want to talk about to people who don't speak the language, then use analogies with common items or concepts to get the point across. Anti-jargon!
    Up until recently, I used to think analogies are stupid because they break down after a certain point, but now I realize that non-technical people just need enough knowledge to get by and do not need or want to know the edge cases. I am working on avoiding discussion about them with non-technical people.

Of course analogies could be taken too far: see Ted Stevens "series of tube" remark..

MBTI
    infp

No, I think with certain types of people, any kind of knowledge breeds arrogance because they are arrogant people to start off with. The superior knowledge is just one of the many ways they display that arrogance. If they didn't have it, they would be arrogant with other things.

You can get people who are very knowledgable who don't feel arrogant nor condescending to people who don't know as much.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari