User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default is working with people turning me antisocial?!

sorry to start a thread when I've been more of a lurker or non-presence lately...

I've been working in sales for the past 7 months and am forced to interact with people and be nice to them (ok- I sometimes fail at the last part) on a daily basis. I meet a lot of interesting people and a majority of them are pleasant, but at the end of the day there's nothing I want to do more than to retreat home! When going out I even have narrowed down who I hang out with to just a small, select group of friends- this whole chatting up strangers thing just doesn't happen anymore like it used to.

Is it possible that forced interaction can make a person an introvert? Or did I have antisocial tendancies in the first place?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Yup. When I worked as a receptionnist, I had 3 phonelines at once coming in, customers to help, clients to put on the waiting list and doctors who nagged at me. At the end of the day, I was about ready to kill anyone who was stupid enough to call me on my phone and didn't wanna see another computerscreen ever again. And social obligations became pure torture. Once I left, the computerscreen thing vanished, but I still cannot stand my phone and I'm moody on the social obligations
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Don't think I've ever met as many people but there comes a time where I just really can't be bothered interacting with friends or strangers. It all feels the same and becomes really pointless, jumping from one person to another. What's the point in knowing so many people but spending so little time with them?

Course that's an introverts view of when he has too many aquaintances wanting to become friends.

MBTI
    yupp

well maybe the people coming in suck, and so it's their fault. see if they weren't so lame you wouldn't be as exhausted I'd say I don't know what you should do.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

WHATEEEVVEEERR YOU ARE BACK

Been missin you here already !

YES working with people can turn you on, no I mean antisocial .

I have that often that after a day of work I talked alot on the job, I have no real motivation to talk to friends on an evening out. If my friends would talk about work-related topics, I could prolly talk to them, but because they dont, getting into their mindset sometimes is too taxing then.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Interacting with people I like to talk to is stimulating. Having to interact with people I am forced to is exhausting as it requires Si style focus. It becomes work, not fun.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Whatever is back!

Woo!

(As an introvert I feel I have nothing of substance to contribute.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    sorry to start a thread when I've been more of a lurker or non-presence lately...

I've been working in sales for the past 7 months and am forced to interact with people and be nice to them (ok- I sometimes fail at the last part) on a daily basis. I meet a lot of interesting people and a majority of them are pleasant, but at the end of the day there's nothing I want to do more than to retreat home! When going out I even have narrowed down who I hang out with to just a small, select group of friends- this whole chatting up strangers thing just doesn't happen anymore like it used to.

Is it possible that forced interaction can make a person an introvert? Or did I have antisocial tendancies in the first place?
    No, it's not that your becoming antisocial. It's that who your socializing with forces you to change your personality type at the given situation. Changing personalities is what is exhausting you. If everyone you were working with were your friends (as in friends that you can 'be yourself' around) you wouldn't have this problem.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think I can somewhat relate to this. When I interact with a lot of people, but my mind isn't stimulated I feel physically energized, but mentally starved in a way. Conversely, at my current job I have interesting things to think about, but I rarely interact with everyone so I still feel drained in a more physical way even if my mind seems nourished. As an ENxP the ideal is some sort of external stimulation that also feeds your mind.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Is it possible that forced interaction can make a person an introvert? Or did I have antisocial tendencies in the first place?
    It's hard to say. I think it's possible that you're just overstimulating your Extraversion, and your mind needs Introversion for balance at the end of the day. It's funny, though, because I thought Extraverts were supposed to be energized by people. Apparently that's only true to a certain extent. I wonder what the Es have to say about it?

In my opinion, it could. Seriously, most of them are so annoying and dumb. Being constantly confronted with them in a work situation could show you just how much.

By the way, some people were talking about you while you were gone...

Whatever Gets You Off...