User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    I

Nice to see you back, stick around. Sounds like you're not a strong extrovert. I don't know about antisocial (that's like going against the rules and being reckless), and usually extroverts are good at being anti-social, but it could be bringing out your introverted side. If it were me though, I'd have gotten sick of it far before.

I think forced interaction is at fault. I'm definitely more introverted when I'm forced to interact, especially if interacting is the work itself.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

I have the opposite reaction: when I'm working with people, I transform into my Te/Se mode -- "We have to get this done, now!" -- and plow right through the obstacles. It energizes me as if I were on my own. Nonetheless, I don't have nearly the same energy for casual socializing.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Is it possible that forced interaction can make a person an introvert? Or did I have antisocial tendencies in the first place?
    Even extroverts will exhaust themselves in a social environment eventually. It's the preferences, not the mileage. Preferring to do something never guarantees skill. For instance, many American Idol hopefuls take delight in singing, yet few have the actual talent.

Extroverts, how much nonstop socializing and noise can you take before you break?
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    INtP

Nice to see you around, Whatever

I think it's probably just that everyone has their limits to interaction - and that forced interaction as part of a job is a whole different set of stresses than even interacting with a lot of people in a more casual (ie, purely social) setting. I don't know much about sales (understatement there ), but my guess is that although you're surrounded by people, you're not really free to be yourself - you're having to route your behavior through the funnel of behavior and goals that are part of your job - and not just be *you*. I'm thinking of what you'd normally do to someone who was being a jerk/stupid/selfish/annoying (ha ha, I'm *so* diggin' for some more fun Whatever-stories )... and how you might be expected to act differently with a prospective customer.

If that's true (and I think it is for an awful lot of people at work, in various ways), it makes sense that you'd be a little more reluctant to put yourself in a similar sort of situation when not working - sort of an unconscious response to having your "normal" self stressed in unusual ways at work?

But hey, if nothing else you know what it's like among the introvert crowd .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Is it possible that forced interaction can make a person an introvert? Or did I have antisocial tendancies in the first place?
    I think it (forced interaction ith people) can make even a strong extrovert need more introversion.

I've been feeling the same way lately too.

And nice to see you around, whatever.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Thanks! For a bit of background...

I've been working in direct marketing and in home sales lately, partly as research for a book that I'm having my arm twisted to write by a foundation chair... it's certainly an interesting experience- I usually am interacting with the same group of people for about 2 hours or so at a time and then move on to others, but I get the nagging feeling that my natural personality type isn't what the bosses really want us to be Most of my really successful coworkers are ESxPs (don't get me wrong here, my coworkers are absolutley great- it just gets scary to have only 3 Ns in the whole office!)

As one of the few girls working there I'm pretty much expected to be a stereotypical ESFP on the job (which is at least not the same stretch as my INTJ coworker endures while trying, and failing miserably, to be an ESTP ) Reading the replies here made me think... is it necissarily having to be extroverted that's causing the issues or having to tone down my other normal traits and play up other traits?

Maybe having to act like another type all day just isn't good for the brain?

and kelric? no fears, I have plenty of stories, I'll get around to reopening the blog in due time
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Welcome back whatever! Was wondering where you've been...

Reading the replies here made me think... is it necissarily having to be extroverted that's causing the issues or having to tone down my other normal traits and play up other traits?

Well, I would have thought that acting to be something you're not... whether it be type, or any other personality traits... will take something out of a person. It is a unnatural state to run counter to your normal behaviour. It's like you have to check yourself every time you wanted to act your way but you can't and have to "play nice" and act in another way. Obviously as you mention, there are degrees of unnaturalness. The more different your base behaviour is from what's required... the more strain it puts on your mental restrain. Push over the limit... one often just snap (become grouchy and refuse to comply). I wouldn't say it is bad for your mind on the whole because the mind is a very resilient thing.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Welcome back whatever! Was wondering where you've been...
    Well, I would have thought that acting to be something you're not... whether it be type, or any other personality traits... will take something out of a person. It is a unnatural state to run counter to your normal behaviour. It's like you have to check yourself every time you wanted to act your way but you can't and have to "play nice" and act in another way. Obviously as you mention, there are degrees of unnaturalness. The more different your base behaviour is from what's required... the more strain it puts on your mental restrain. Push over the limit... one often just snap (become grouchy and refuse to comply). I wouldn't say it is bad for your mind on the whole because the mind is a very resilient thing.
    I think that's it... anytime you're forced to spend a lot of time acting unnaturally, it tends to stress/tire you out, and you'll tend to want to stay away from that sort of thing when you can. I know that it works that way for me, anyway.

and kelric? no fears, I have plenty of stories, I'll get around to reopening the blog in due time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Hello, my darling!!!

When I was a mechanic, I'd be so physically drained by the work and emotionally/mentally drained by the boys (and men think women are cold/crude when they get in groups and talk?!) that I would go home and lay on my bed semi-unconscious and avoid the phone.

Bracing up under the derogatory conversations, I'd get "peopled-out" and hole up somewhere. Having to act unnatural will do that.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Hello, my darling!!!

When I was a mechanic, I'd be so physically drained by the work and emotionally/mentally drained by the boys (and men think women are cold/crude when they get in groups and talk?!) that I would go home and lay on my bed semi-unconscious and avoid the phone.

Bracing up under the derogatory conversations, I'd get "peopled-out" and hole up somewhere. Having to act unnatural will do that.
    That sucks.

On topic: I seem to have the opposite going on. I'm fairly asocial at work. (feigned social). But it improves my social behaviour outside of work. Like a subconscious compromise. I suppose it just sucks to have certain responsibilities at work when in a dominant position. Blegh.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf