User Tag List

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default Extraversion vs neediness

I have recently embraced my I side. This is for the first time in my life and it has thrown something in relief. I have never been comfortable in my own company, I have always sought out other people and liked having people around even when in the background. Can extraversion be an introverted neediness, or are the two things seperated?
    Last edited by TickTock; 09-04-2009 at 05:19 AM.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

do you feel energized when you are around people ? if so that's probably a good sign you're an extrovert. and just because someone is extroverted doesn't necessarily mean they have good social skills

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

It's strange really, I think Ive become more introvert since learning Im an introvert. Before, I wasn't sure. My extroversion was probably because I was acting out for lack of attention elsewhere. But I also see that at that time I was living in an almost duality going from one to the other. Probably for the most part introverted, but now I make hardly any effort at being sociable.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    It's strange really, I think Ive become more introvert since learning Im an introvert. Before, I wasn't sure. My extroversion was probably because I was acting out for lack of attention elsewhere. But I also see that at that time I was living in an almost duality going from one to the other. Probably for the most part introverted, but now I make hardly any effort at being sociable.
    That makes sense, because maybe you took pride in your introversion. But you sort of answered your own question with the first sentence. When did you learn that you were an introvert?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    That makes sense, because maybe you took pride in your introversion. But you sort of answered your own question with the first sentence. When did you learn that you were an introvert?
    Yes but I also think it has something to do with excepting Im an introvert, because Ive been told I am. Which I do agree with, but I also know I have an E side that I have put away for the most part since being typed. Which was probably a couple of years ago. We all have E and the key is striking the balance. I'm only now finding that.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I have never been comfortable in my own company, I have always sought out other people and liked having people around even when in the background.
    My introverted sister is the same way, she thinks it's because we were always together as kids. She is my step sister and is 2 weeks younger than me, we were always together. If someone asked us about something we always answered with 'we' instead of 'I.'

Did you have anyone you were always with that caused you not to experience much of life by yourself? Sometimes I think people have to learn to be comfortable by themselves.

so how does one tell the difference?

i think most needy people will be typed E even when they're I.

MBTI
    ENTP

yeah there is a big difference between extraversion and neediness, and someone ought to go and explain it to the folks at INTPc - not me though, I'd need to stock up on sick buckets first!

yeah... I get tired of hearing "...just because you need to keep talking to people to get attention to justify your existence" and "just because you're so shallow you can't bear to be in your own company, just because you don't know how to think and imagine to yourself..." and other such ignorant comments from introverts. Ludicrous. It'd be like me saying to an INTP that I hold their pleasure in reading (or an INFP their daydreaming) in utter contempt, as it's just a crutch to justify their existence in light of their lack of significance to the rest of humanity due to their poor social skills. Ignorant, mean spirited rubbish.

I have never been comfortable in my own company, I have always sought out other people and liked having people around even when in the background.
    My ISFJ sister's the same. Whilst I go for long periods quite happily in solitude, and often seek it out in solo hiking/camping trips in the wilderness. Go figure
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen