• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and Neuroticism

FlamingMask

MBTI Type
INTp
Do you guys think there is a type or temperament that has a higher average of neuroticism than the others? Do you think there is a Function that contributes to neuroticism?

E.g., "I think Fi types might be more neurotic because their values are constantly clashing with society's," or "SPs are probably more neurotic because they seem to have obsessive, irrational fears."

Specifically, I'm talking about the Big Five trait called Neuroticism. (For those who don't know, the Big Five are five psychological traits that do correlate to a degree with MBTI. The traits are Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism. The first four are much clearer as to what the relate to.) For more information about them, try Wikipedia.

However, if you want to talk about another type of neuroticism as well, that's fine, as long as it's related to type.

Discuss!

FlamingMask

MBTI Type
INTp
Oh, cool. I guess the statistics speak for themselves this time.

Maybe you should have waited 'til the thread had sat around a bit before you won it. :)

On another note, I am surprised at how strongly N correlates with Openness. Openness, if I'm not mistaken, is related to appreciating different things (a common example is art). Would art really be as central to the human experience as is it is if only ~25% of the population was big on Openness? (That's a total estimation but if I'm not mistaken around 25% of Western society is N and the correlation is pretty high.)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
We've discussed it already to the extent it deserves, given the information available, so of course we want to tell how the last discussion went.

dbw

MBTI Type
INtP
I took a NEOPR test and my Neuroticism was off the charts :(