• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

reading speed

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I thought this should be obvious...

Your reading speed increases with practice. Which means somebody who spend a lot of time reading will naturally read faster than somebody who's unaccustomed to reading.

So now are you equating type to tendency to read? If so, there's nothing surprising about such a finding at all...

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am an INTP, a lover of books, scored high on school tests of verbal intelligence, and could read by the age of four.

My reading speed is -11 wpm.

...well, I realize that result probably had a glitch, but still score mostly in the 30-50 wpm range. So far there appear to be no correlations whatsoever :tongue:

The only thing that is left is the fact that I did not read books often when I was a child. I admit this probably has something to do with it. (Well... would you be motivated to read at a young age if you took about five times longer to finish a book than your classmates?)

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I am an INTP, a lover of books, scored high on school tests of verbal intelligence, and could read by the age of four.

My reading speed is -11 wpm.

...well, I realize that result probably had a glitch, but still score mostly in the 30-50 wpm range. So far there appear to be no correlations whatsoever :tongue:

The only thing that is left is the fact that I did not read books often when I was a child. I admit this probably has something to do with it. (Well... would you be motivated to read at a young age if you took about five times longer to finish a book than your classmates?)

Hoho, true for me also. I'm a slow reader. But I have a great amount of verbosity. My friends get pissed off when I use uncommon words that just fit the situation. I have to use a synonym right after it or else they get mad. It makes me look like a big headed asshole.:yes:

I wonder if it it just curiosity of details that would make a person read slower, and another less detail oriented more inclined towards skimming?

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
I wonder if it it just curiosity of details that would make a person read slower, and another less detail oriented more inclined towards skimming?

i read alot, and i read at a speaking pace. it takes me much longer to finish a book than many people i know, but i feel like i get alot out of the way i read.

i like reading as if i am being directly dictated to by the person telling the story or lecturing on a topic. i like to involve myself with the details. that being said, the details better be damn interesting.

it could be an appreciation of mine that an author sat down and took his or her time to write this all down, so i want to appreciate their work as they intended it to be, which is in their voice or the voice of a character they are portraying. i know some people can read really fast and achieve this, but i think alot of fast readers just skim from plot point to plot point without much reverence to the language.

also, why spend 10-14 bucks on a book when you're gonna kill it in 4 hours? and i know libraries are good for that reason but i like supporting authors $$$

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I do read books I like over and over, so I still get the benefit of my $$$. :p

Yeah, I think sometimes people don't want to read if they don't read fast but it's really about the enjoyment, not the speed.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When interested, I read slowly. When I'm not interested, I read very quickly.

RenaiReborn

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Let's see. I've been clocked by those electronic machines and tested as to my comprehension. When reading somewhat slowly for me, I can read up to 3000 wpm with about 90% retention/accuracy, however, my eye muscles tire quickly when it comes to doing that. Therefore, I generally flip through about 20 pages a minute when reading something interesting, and about 10-15 when bored out of my skull.

R

Riva

i really really want to increase my reading speed.
could someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee recommend me a book/s.
please...