User Tag List

First 123

Thread: reading speed

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I thought this should be obvious...

Your reading speed increases with practice. Which means somebody who spend a lot of time reading will naturally read faster than somebody who's unaccustomed to reading.

So now are you equating type to tendency to read? If so, there's nothing surprising about such a finding at all...
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I am an INTP, a lover of books, scored high on school tests of verbal intelligence, and could read by the age of four.

My reading speed is -11 wpm.

...well, I realize that result probably had a glitch, but still score mostly in the 30-50 wpm range. So far there appear to be no correlations whatsoever

The only thing that is left is the fact that I did not read books often when I was a child. I admit this probably has something to do with it. (Well... would you be motivated to read at a young age if you took about five times longer to finish a book than your classmates?)

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I am an INTP, a lover of books, scored high on school tests of verbal intelligence, and could read by the age of four.

My reading speed is -11 wpm.

...well, I realize that result probably had a glitch, but still score mostly in the 30-50 wpm range. So far there appear to be no correlations whatsoever

The only thing that is left is the fact that I did not read books often when I was a child. I admit this probably has something to do with it. (Well... would you be motivated to read at a young age if you took about five times longer to finish a book than your classmates?)
    Hoho, true for me also. I'm a slow reader. But I have a great amount of verbosity. My friends get pissed off when I use uncommon words that just fit the situation. I have to use a synonym right after it or else they get mad. It makes me look like a big headed asshole.

I wonder if it it just curiosity of details that would make a person read slower, and another less detail oriented more inclined towards skimming?

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    I wonder if it it just curiosity of details that would make a person read slower, and another less detail oriented more inclined towards skimming?
    i read alot, and i read at a speaking pace. it takes me much longer to finish a book than many people i know, but i feel like i get alot out of the way i read.

i like reading as if i am being directly dictated to by the person telling the story or lecturing on a topic. i like to involve myself with the details. that being said, the details better be damn interesting.

it could be an appreciation of mine that an author sat down and took his or her time to write this all down, so i want to appreciate their work as they intended it to be, which is in their voice or the voice of a character they are portraying. i know some people can read really fast and achieve this, but i think alot of fast readers just skim from plot point to plot point without much reverence to the language.

also, why spend 10-14 bucks on a book when you're gonna kill it in 4 hours? and i know libraries are good for that reason but i like supporting authors $$$
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I do read books I like over and over, so I still get the benefit of my $$$. :P

Yeah, I think sometimes people don't want to read if they don't read fast but it's really about the enjoyment, not the speed.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

When interested, I read slowly. When I'm not interested, I read very quickly.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Let's see. I've been clocked by those electronic machines and tested as to my comprehension. When reading somewhat slowly for me, I can read up to 3000 wpm with about 90% retention/accuracy, however, my eye muscles tire quickly when it comes to doing that. Therefore, I generally flip through about 20 pages a minute when reading something interesting, and about 10-15 when bored out of my skull.

Riva

i really really want to increase my reading speed.
    could someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee recommend me a book/s.
    please...

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

^^^ You can do it. I did it.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.