User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: reading speed

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

i can read

I read very, very fast. My 13 year old son does as well. I go nuts sitting with my ENTP friend when she tries to read as she is SO SLOW. Every single word I see-even from the corner of my eye-gets read. I cannot decide if I want to read a sign or not. They all just pop in my brain instantly. So being in a city with many signs can be very tiring.

Actually I very rarely catch the little words. I scan across whole chunks of text very rapidly, read words on multiple lines at the same time and recreate the context-potentially flawed-in my mind. I can read a 400 page novel in about three hours.

I have a visual defect called visual snow-my 13 year old does as well-basically a series of sparkles across my vision, likely caused by retinal noise-poor electronical filtering.

A neuroscientist who used to work with me said this spontanoeus optical activity is very normal and very well studied in fetal animals. The spontaneous retinal firing helps prune neurons and cause them to grow properly between the eye and the occipital lobe. It stops shortly after birth.

Except for whatever the reason, in our family it keeps going. Funny-like personality diffs-you dont notice till someone else says "no that isnt what I see..."

So maybe lots of sparkles leads to increased neuronal content thus faster reading time?

I do know I love going overseas. I cant understand what the words mean there, so they are just jumbles of letters, and so my brain is so much quieter.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post
    I read very, very fast. My 13 year old son does as well. I go nuts sitting with my ENTP friend when she tries to read as she is SO SLOW.
    And therein we may have some proof of the types not matching, then again, the definition of "so slow" is at question here due to the fact that yeu may very well have an abnormally high rate of reading. If yeu're pushing well over 500wpm reading rate, then this really wouldn't neccesarily be that slow at all if she's still maintaining 250+, even though it'd seem like a crawl in comparison.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I read very, very fast. My 13 year old son does as well. I go nuts sitting with my ENTP friend when she tries to read as she is SO SLOW. Every single word I see-even from the corner of my eye-gets read. I cannot decide if I want to read a sign or not. They all just pop in my brain instantly. So being in a city with many signs can be very tiring.

Actually I very rarely catch the little words. I scan across whole chunks of text very rapidly, read words on multiple lines at the same time and recreate the context-potentially flawed-in my mind. I can read a 400 page novel in about three hours.
    Same here, sometimes it can even be disorienting.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    some people read at a speaking pace, while others can digest the information skimming their eyes past the words at a much faster speed.

does anyone know if there is a correlation between how fast one can read and their MBTI type?
    A thing you can read fast is not worth a reading.
    A text that arrests you is worth a second reading.

MBTI
    GONE

I think ENXPs might read fast because we're so impatient and we can swallow large chunks of info and then break them down internally? We dont' have to be precise just efficient.

When I read, especially if I really like what I'm reading, I get really absorbed and I fly through the pages - almost faster than I can 'picture' what's going on.

If I'm reading and impatient (or semi bored) I'll basically skim the pages or chunk the pages of the book so I can at least get the gist of what's going on.

I've been told I'm a fast reader by others.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I think ENXPs might read fast because we're so impatient and we can swallow large chunks of info and then break them down internally? We dont' have to be precise just efficient.

When I read, especially if I really like what I'm reading, I get really absorbed and I fly through the pages - almost faster than I can 'picture' what's going on.

If I'm reading and impatient (or semi bored) I'll basically skim the pages or chunk the pages of the book so I can at least get the gist of what's going on.

I've been told I'm a fast reader by others.
    I'm like you CzeCze in this reading business.
    Impatient. Ne trait, I guess, as you wrote.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I on the other hand read very fast, but only pick up bits and pieces. I dont focus on the details, just the basic concepts. If I need it later I know where to go, or where to start looking.
    this is exactly me too.

edit: btw I think it may have more to do with practice (number of books read/lifetime) than Ne, since my Ne is not very high.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I've always read very fast. I didn't even know I was reading fast until people tried to read over my shoulder and they were only half done with the page and I was turning the page. I never took speed reading or anything of the such. I used to skim more but I can read every word on a page and understand it and still read very fast.

I know people that I consider intelligent and well read who don't read fast. I've always wondered what it is.

When I'm reading out loud I turn the page before I finish speaking the words. Perhaps that is part of it, I process in my mind rather than process the words on the page?

MBTI
    entp

I do know I love going overseas. I cant understand what the words mean there, so they are just jumbles of letters, and so my brain is so much quieter.
    i dont have visual snow.

but other than that, yeah...sometimes i catch myself reading license plates on cars...i will never remember them but for some reason i read EVERYTHING that my eyes can see

i think its Ne's fuel...Ne needs information from the outside...doesnt it