User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

-what is your IQ and your confidence with it?
    I took the WISC-III test once when i was 11 and then again when i was 17. I scored 158 when i was 11 and 154 when i was 17.
    Usually when i take online IQ tests i score in the 140s or if i'm really distracted i score in the 130s. I'm not really confident about my IQ because i often feel like a lot of people around me are a lot smarter, so just putting a number to my intelligence doesn't seem to prove anything.

-how much does your view of "intelligence" align with contemporary IQ views on general intelligence factor?
    I think there are far too many different forms of intelligence for IQ to matter that much.

-are multiple intelligences a better representation of people's traits, or a hoax to cater to feelings of the dumb, or something in between?
    Multiple intelligence tests are okay i guess, but i still don't think they are really proving anything.

-have you wished to be of different IQ?
    Honestly i don't really sit around thinking about my IQ, so no.

-have you noticed a drop in IQ? If so, have you done a conscious effort to negate the effect? If not, what abilities or perceptions have helped to turn the situation around?
    Well it dropped a few points from the time i was 11 to 17, i'm 21 now, so it could have possibly gone down even more if the trend was the same.

-has type awareness brought different view on IQ? how so?
    nope. i see that some types might score higher than others, but i don't know how accurate that is.

-have you aimed for the best job available to your intelligence?
    Probably not. I'm a stay at home pregnant woman. Cooking and cleaning doesn't really take a whole lot of brain power to be perfectly honest. I hate working, and i find that any job i work i'm under appreciated for hard work, so i don't even bother anymore. I'd like a job working as some sort of anti drug counselor or something, i don't know if that would be the best job for my intelligence or not, but i think you should do what you love and love what you do and not worry about being intelligent or not being intelligent enough for something.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTP

IQ measures how much money you have in your pocket.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I don't find so short and vague comments very enlightening. Wouldn't you like to put your ideas in a more definitive form?

Well-formed arguments can become a subject of scrutiny, of course. That's completely unlike the treatment you would get for vague, unfitting and mysterious remarks.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I don't find so short and vague comments very enlightening. Wouldn't you like to put your ideas in a more definitive form?

Well-formed arguments can become a subject of scrutiny, of course. That's completely unlike the treatment you would get for vague, unfitting and mysterious remarks.
    Money in pocket = rich.

Mysterious, eh?

Rich = Well off.

WELL OFF

1. influential
    2. propertied
    3. in easy circumstances
    4. well to do
    5. possessed of a competence
    6. in good conditions
    7. well born
    8. well bred

WELL BORN

high born
    of good descent

See the 100 people who paid the highest taxes = made most money, last year. It is in the yesterday paper.

And who are they?

well born
    of good descent
    of high birth

Is it different say, in America?
    Not any more.

Ever heard of the Waspies? They have their own universities. They have their own country clubs.
    How many Catholics? How many Jews?

A Finnish officer could not enter an American country club. Why? He had a Swedish Family name. To a Waspie ear Swedish sounds German, and German sounds Jewish.

To add insult to injury they have these IQ tests. Ready and taylor-made for the Waspie offsprings.

Happy now?

And yes, IQ declines with age.
    Intelligence does not.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I see, wildcat. Interesting view you have. The amount of money earned is indeed one of they key points how success is measured. The main motivation for measuring IQ is to predict someone's success. So I understand how these two are interrelated. Still, it takes several decades for a person to accumulate the level of wealth indicated by their IQ.

Family background, socioeconomic factors, etc have a greater influence to a person's future wealth. If someone were to construct a test to measure a person's chance to becoming rich, they would start with the background factors, rather than measuring their ability to solve problems.

Person's problem solving ability is more of a equalizing factor between families of different wealth. Still, I don't see a problem with some families being better off than the others.

I would see the IQ as a tool of the class strugle, rather than the tool of the elite.

MBTI
    ENTJ

So now I got the results of my professionally administred IQ test, and it's disappointing, but also enlightening.

I've been extremely hesitant to see a psychologist to resolve my issues with what I think as burnout and depression, or perhaps something else.

I think the picture is coming together.

I got an IQ of 108 (15 std dev).

It's in the extreme lower end of the test score's I've ever received, although not the lowest. That record is reserved for a test that measured verbal intelligence in english language, and that only.

Something is severely impairing my mental functioning. I still retain the knowledge and the values from times when I've been smarter, and I've gotten a professional evaluation of myself as late as 5 months ago, with the career advisor recommending me career paths in the most demanding employments possible.

Unfortunately my self-image is too much tied to my intelligence to let go of this. I understand my biases. Still, I can't but to list those factors that I recognize and objectively know to have influenced my perceptions on this matter.

test score lowering factors:
    -having been tired that morning
    -having drunk heavily two days before the test
    -depression, just with sadness changed to apathy
    -relative lack of optimally challenging employment during the year
    -unfamiliarity with pen-and-paper test
    -failed time-management plan during the test. Did too much double-checking.

Possible reasons to explain the low outcome as it is:
    -inflated scores on online tests (?)
    -my intelligence (or aptitudes) are focused on other intelligences

I know that this makes a silly impression

I just wanted to be open and honest with you, so you can see me wanting to explain something that I want for myself. I know exactly how silly it seems for people to want something so much and making up explanations. Still, I'm giving myself the benefit of doubt. I'll figure out what's wrong with me and what I did wrong, and I'll correct what I find.

This is not a trivial matter; I have wanted to go for the best jobs since I were kid. These jobs are demanding on self-discipline both before and during the employment, they're demanding on general and emotional intelligence, willingness to achieve, and other personal qualities. Some employments have a de facto IQ entrance requirement, with the demands of the job being increasingly hard on the people with lower IQ. There's some point where the job is just too damn hard to be of any enjoyment, even if that's the job you've wished for.

edit: and now, 138 on a web test (15 std dev). Is that more telling of the web tests or anything.. still, everything remains inconclusive to me. Mind you, these web results are consistenly lower than they used to be, too; I used to get in the range of 142-145 before (15 std dev), or about 168-172 (24 std dev) in culture fair tests and usually about 120-125 (std dev 15) in completely english biased tests, even tho lower scrores also occured.

edit: moreover, it's not my job to be objective and realistic about myself in such a manner so as to contend with bad results. This is a signal from something bad, perhaps a wrong development - which I ought to reverse.

MBTI
    ISTP

-depression, just with sadness changed to apathy
    This one is huge. When taking a test online, something you are familiar with, you are likely also in a better frame of mind. Stress will not mix well with your depression. This alone could skew your test down a full 10 points, a crazy amount relatively speaking.

(I have to ask - do you know which test it was?)

However, I must admit in all honesty, this is not all that unusual to find. Web tests are very aptitude based - and so you may have particular aptitudes that test well online but less well in person.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I asked a friend who is a Mensa member.. he knew that there was a new test in use in Finland this fall / winter, but he couldn't name it. He suspected it was something made especially for Mensa, but I'm not that sure. There is a reason he wants to be silent about it; there's some controversy over a Mensa member who was able to order him/self the test manual with a scoring key. Given the test name, one could attempt for similar kind of deception.

Edit: So it's this Mensa test that I participated in. I don't remember myself what was said of it.

The test consisted (as far as I can remember) solely from pattern filling tasks. There was a practice question with arithmetics, but none in the scored questions. All multiple choice. The patterns consisted of 3x3 (and perhaps bigger) squares with all (or most) of the tiles filled, with one tile being asked in each task. There was 4 or 5 options for each question.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I asked a friend who is a Mensa member.. he knew that there was a new test in use in Finland this fall / winter, but he couldn't name it. He suspected it was something made especially for Mensa, but I'm not that sure. There is a reason he wants to be silent about it; there's some controversy over a Mensa member who was able to order him/self the test manual with a scoring key. Given the test name, one could attempt for similar kind of deception.
    Sounds like what happened with the Mega Society entrance exam a few years back.

Waste of time.

MBTI
    ENTJ

-what is your IQ and your confidence with it? 140+
    -how much does your view of "intelligence" align with contemporary IQ views on general intelligence factor? identical
    -are multiple intelligences a better representation of people's traits, or a hoax to cater to feelings of the dumb, or something in between? something in between, though "g" is still the unifying factor
    -have you wished to be of different IQ? yes as a kid. I did drugs such as marijuana to try to be more stupid in order to relate to others. It worked.
    -have you noticed a drop in IQ? If so, have you done a conscious effort to negate the effect? If not, what abilities or perceptions have helped to turn the situation around? No
    -has type awareness brought different view on IQ? how so? No
    -have you aimed for the best job available to your intelligence? Yes and I got it