User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    15 standard deviation is the norm.

I don't think anyone here, unless through an academy, has taken a validated IQ test (that is, a very small minority). Something like KAIT or WAIS, or some other modern IQ test. I say this because there is a heavy emphasis on the relation to visual learning, which should compose less than 1/4 of any reliable IQ test.

Course, it is possible that the average person here would, apparently, be a doctor in theoretical/engineering physics... something that about a rather extreme amount of people in the world... I simply doubt it.
    Would an IQ test administered by a school psychologist count as a validated one? Because that's initially the test I took. I am a child of a mother who studied psychology and a step mother who is a school psychologist. I've been psychoanalyzed to death partly as their hobby. Plus, my family has been in family counseling for quite a few years.

I'm a little offended by the comment regarding a doctorate in theoretical physics, though. I hope it wasn't directed my way. Considering the amount of NT's and NF's on this board, I would think there would be a disproportionate interest in theoretical studies as compared to the general population.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I think I could do that. I have a friend that is getting a summa cum laude Maths degree and is aiming towards a doctorate in the same field, and we used to have similar grades throughout high school, and have similar results in competitions (even though he would get better results in maths, and I'd get better results in physics).

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl View Post
    Would an IQ test administered by a school psychologist count as a validated one? Because that's initially the test I took. I am a child of a mother who studied psychology and a step mother who is a school psychologist. I've been psychoanalyzed to death partly as their hobby. Plus, my family has been in family counseling for quite a few years.
    I'd have to know what test it is - however, you are likely to have had a pretty decent test relatively speaking. Age also matters, however, as many high IQ kids average out over time (140 to 120-130 isn't that unusual)... I would generally consider it to be validated if it was done by a clinician.

Validated here means tested and normalised properly, meaning that it is able to produce an IQ that can be compared to other tests... not to mean others are invalid. It just means that it is difficult to compare some measures of IQ against others.

I'm also not saying that the individual claims as false as much as saying that we seem to project IQ inflation, where having 110-120 can appear low, when statistically it is in the top 10-25% of the population. This thread, in general, would suggest that the majority are in the top 5% of the population. This is... unusual. It tends to undervalue the actual scores...

I'm a little offended by the comment regarding a doctorate in theoretical physics, though. I hope it wasn't directed my way. Considering the amount of NT's and NF's on this board, I would think there would be a disproportionate interest in theoretical studies as compared to the general population.
    Those doctorates average 140-150, which is why I picked them (relative to more common doctorates like medical, philosophy and such). No other reason

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

This thread, in general, would suggest that the majority are in the top 5% of the population. This is... unusual. It tends to undervalue the actual scores...
    My initial post may have initiated some kind of self-selection. There is about 1:10 reply/view ratio on most threads on this board.. and we don't know how many views upper category vs viewing a particular sub-category.

Those doctorates average 140-150, which is why I picked them (relative to more common doctorates like medical, philosophy and such). No other reason
    Where did you get the doctorates? IQ doesn't imply any particular employment.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

This thread, in general, would suggest that the majority are in the top 5% of the population. This is... unusual. It tends to undervalue the actual scores...
    Well, the members on this site would be far from your random sampling of the population as a whole....it actually doesn't surprise me at all that a forum like this would have a high % of people in the top 5% of the general population, in terms of IQ or other standardized tests.

I mean, heck....out of my whole circle of friends/acquaintances, very few of them even participate in ANY internet forum, let alone one based on psychology!!! :-)

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Where did you get the doctorates? IQ doesn't imply any particular employment.
    IQ does stratify across employment, with education being one of the better examples of it. It's not good at placing people at, say, a clerical job in a financial institution and an engineering firm, but it is good at placing people inside clerical work vs janitorial work.

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Well, the members on this site would be far from your random sampling of the population as a whole....it actually doesn't surprise me at all that a forum like this would have a high % of people in the top 5% of the general population, in terms of IQ or other standardized tests.

I mean, heck....out of my whole circle of friends/acquaintances, very few of them even participate in ANY internet forum, let alone one based on psychology!!! :-)
    That is true, and it is likely that we would have a large bias towards higher IQs. However, it is unusual that it is nearly to the exclusion of all others without the equivalent job placement and general education correlations.

Santtu is probably right - a bias of higher IQs forum wide with respondents answering only if they make the average that has been posted here, which may or may not be artificially high. (Meaning, if many do not have g loaded tests and thus inflated scores, then others with genuine but not inflated scores won't post.)

MBTI
    INTP

IQ is an apology of the well to do to do nothing.

MBTI
    xNFJ

Santtu is probably right - a bias of higher IQs forum wide with respondents answering only if they make the average that has been posted here, which may or may not be artificially high. (Meaning, if many do not have g loaded tests and thus inflated scores, then others with genuine but not inflated scores won't post.)
    I don't think most of the general population has had a reliable, normalised IQ test (I've only taken free online ones for fun, and got a range of 25 within one week). Out of those that have, many or most will have had one specifically because they've been suspected as being unusually good or unusually bad at that sort of cognition, and probably are unusually good or unusually bad.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by xNFJiminy View Post
    I don't think most of the general population has had a reliable, normalised IQ test (I've only taken free online ones for fun, and got a range of 25 within one week). Out of those that have, many or most will have had one specifically because they've been suspected as being unusually good or unusually bad at that sort of cognition, and probably are unusually good or unusually bad.
    Exactly. Most people that end up knowing their IQ is because one of the two options listed above.

MBTI
    GONE

That test is pretty interesting.

Course, try answering every single question wrong and you end up with an IQ of 79. I assume that's the floor... but it makes me suspect their distribution.

(Sadly, I did worse on that test than the Mensa tests... I'm not quite sure what that means )
    Wow that test was a pain in the ass. I should have known better than to take it at 3:45am before going to bed. I couldn't answer the last 6...

:ouch:

I tend to take online IQ tests between 1-5 am, usually when I am procrastinating.

And I know I'm coming into this late, Your IQ is not set in stone and will go up or down with training. It's like any other standardized test in that way. I think of it as studying for the SAT but with not as much "give" (or helpful shortcuts)

What IQ is measuring or what the IQ drop by age shows is just that you aren't using your brain as much, or in new and challenging ways, and your brain has simply gotten a little sluggish.

Try Brain Age! On the Nintendo DS!

Hahaha, seriously this thead almost sounds like a wind-up for an ad for some 'brain stimulating' products.

Also, IQs for children are skewed or graded on a major curve (something like dividing or multiplying by actual age) I think the IQ you get when you are a child has to be 'accounted for inflation' and then you can compare it to what the score would mean if you were an 'adult'.

I have concur about the different definitions of 'intelligence'. I have known many people with classically high intellects (meaning above average to extremely well on standardized tests including IQ).

I was frankly disappointed because when it came to discussions about their views on the world and identifying what the world's problems are, their answers were very pedestrian to daresay, a bit crass and/or typically elitist.

I don't see how IQ is correlative to reaching the 'correct views' on life or attain 'correct thinking' because, seriously, they don't agree with me AT ALL.

But yes, you get the actual cogent point somewhere in here. (Yes you really do, and if you don't, everyone else gets the point so don't be foolish and admit you're the only one who can't clearly see my point..they're all gonna laugh at you)

And with that, I really am going to bed now.

:zzz: