User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Start a new thread about IQ "bias" and rail on about it, if you'd like. Some people might enjoy it.
    It's just a consequence of what you are saying, that’s all. I don’t think another IQ discussion would be healthy for me. :P

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    You can't suck that much, since there usually is a heavy load of visual tasks in IQ tests. What do you score in this ( http://iqtest.dk/main.swf ) exclusively visual IQ test, for example?
    That test is pretty interesting.

Course, try answering every single question wrong and you end up with an IQ of 79. I assume that's the floor... but it makes me suspect their distribution.

(Sadly, I did worse on that test than the Mensa tests... I'm not quite sure what that means )

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

You can't suck that much, since there usually is a heavy load of visual tasks in IQ tests. What do you score in this ( http://iqtest.dk/main.swf ) exclusively visual IQ test, for example?
    106 My excuse is sleep deprivation.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    106 My excuse is sleep deprivation.
    What do you think you would score if you were in better shape, something like 115?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

What do you think you would score if you were in better shape, something like 115?
    I don't know. Maybe. I wouldn't bet money on doing that much better, though.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't know. Maybe. I wouldn't bet money on doing that much better, though.
    Anyhow, it seems like you are right ... You seem to really be a lot weaker on visual tasks than linguistic. My guess is your IQ varies quite a lot with different IQ tests …

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Increase in intelligence in the 1990s might have something to do with removal of lead in the environment. Lead has been linked to mental retardation... so by getting rid of lead paint, intelligence from the poorer communities get a boost... It also perpetrated the myth that whites are smarter than blacks. Because blacks are more likely to come from an improvished family.

Answering the questions:

-what is your IQ and your confidence with it?
    When I was tested as a little kid I believe it was around 125ish. Nowadays, my online scores are in 135-140. How confident I am at the number? Meh... I'm good with it being 1SD+ away from mean.
    -how much does your view of "intelligence" align with contemporary IQ views on general intelligence factor?
    I think a general quotient for IQ exists in people... that determines how quickly they are to pick up new things. But it's not the be all and end all type of thing where if you have low IQ, you can't do anything. "Multiple intelligence" tries to capture that... but I'm not certain whether it should be called that... perhaps talent might be a better descriptor.
    -are multiple intelligences a better representation of people's traits, or a hoax to cater to feelings of the dumb, or something in between?
    I think society as a whole place way too much emphasis on IQ. That that lead to the development of the term "multiple intelligence". My take on it is that there a general G for IQ... then there's aptitude for various areas of which G quotient can play a role in. But I wouldn't say aptitude = intelligence.
    -have you wished to be of different IQ?
    This may sound silly... but sometimes I wish I were dumb. Dumb people seem to be much happier in my mind. Sure, they have problems of their own... but it seems so much simpler and easier to solve. And afterwards, you feel happy again. In contrast to my current random brooding because I think too much. =/
    -have you noticed a drop in IQ? If so, have you done a conscious effort to negate the effect? If not, what abilities or perceptions have helped to turn the situation around?
    No, but I noticed I feel not as smart because I'm surrounded by smart people in academia. Kind of like the impostor syndrome...
    -has type awareness brought different view on IQ? how so?
    Heard that Ns on average have higher IQ than Ss... N related to pattern finding, IQ tests heavily based on patterns. Info seems to make sense, so I accepted it. Does that make Ns better than Ss? No. It didn't change my perception of people at all. IQ isn't everything.
    -have you aimed for the best job available to your intelligence?
    I don't even know what IQ range my job's suppose to be in! Maybe somebody can tell me. I'm in research... drug development in pharmaceuticals.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

This topic relates to some stuff I've recently discovered (as in the past day or two) about myself, and I also have a newfound appreciation for my parents, because they didn't let me see any results from standardized tests growing up, and it's only because I 'found' a folder in my mom's desk that had all the results...so now I know. I look forward to talking to her about it!! ;-)

I grew up in IL, where they did OLSAT (Otis Lennon) intelligence tests starting in 3rd grade, and each yr up through 7th grade. In 3rd grade I was above average, but nothing special. By 5th grade I had gotten into the 97th percentile, and I continued to improve. The OLSAT measures SAI, which is equivalent to IQ. My 7th grade Non-verbal IQ was 125, and verbal IQ was 139, for composite of 132.

The GRE up through 9/2001 is considered an intelligence test (from 9/2001 and later, though, it is not, because they re-vamped the test structure). I took it in 2/2001, and scored a 2090 total (verbal + quantitative + analytical). Lowest composite GRE score Mensa would accept is 1875 (and lowest IQ they accept is 132), so since my GRE is rather higher than 1875, I assume my IQ is higher than 132 now. --> Or, WAS. :-)

**However**. It is now 2007, and I have had 6 yrs worth of jobs that under-utilize me, and frankly I don't have to 'think' very much on the job. I haven't exercised ANY math skills for years, and I KNOW I've gotten dumber. I know it. It's kind of scary! Makes me almost want to break out all of my college notebooks and re-learn everything I used to know, because I'm becoming really...mathematically...dumb. Tied to this, I have to spend more time figuring out something, that would have been an almost instantaneous knowledge 5-10 years ago. My brain cells and neural pathways have totally become under-used, so I need to do something before they completely atrophy. :-) It's like many pathways of my brain have gone into semi-hibernation.

----------

To answer a few of your questions - I do think IQ measures ones aptitude to learn and excel in academic settings, and thrive in those settings. And I think it correlates to how easy it is for one to learn, and how quickly one picks concepts/theories/etc up.

However, you know what they say...often the more book-smart one is, the less common sense he might have. Less social intelligence, less emotional intelligence, etc. And, this would be why there are equally valid intelligence theories out there. I mean, I think emotional intelligence is vastly important in the 'real world' - and the real world is about interacting with people - and those with higher IQ may have more issues with this aspect of life.

Also, I think anxiety and depression are rather common for those with higher IQ's. I know both are beneath the surface in me, and my brother apparently has a higher IQ than I, and he has severe social anxiety, and was diagnosed with chronic depression several yrs ago, but appears to be much more functional, and happy, now.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    **However**. It is now 2007, and I have had 6 yrs worth of jobs that under-utilize me, and frankly I don't have to 'think' very much on the job. I haven't exercised ANY math skills for years, and I KNOW I've gotten dumber. I know it. It's kind of scary! Makes me almost want to break out all of my college notebooks and re-learn everything I used to know, because I'm becoming really...mathematically...dumb. Tied to this, I have to spend more time figuring out something, that would have been an almost instantaneous knowledge 5-10 years ago. My brain cells and neural pathways have totally become under-used, so I need to do something before they completely atrophy. :-) It's like many pathways of my brain have gone into semi-hibernation.
    That's actually a good idea, going over your old notes and such. I encourage it. You don't want to let it all slip away, do you? It's too bad you're being underutilized in your jobs. Even so, there's nothing stopping you from doing things outside of work to stimulate your mind.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    That's actually a good idea, going over your old notes and such. I encourage it. You don't want to let it all slip away, do you? It's too bad you're being underutilized in your jobs. Even so, there's nothing stopping you from doing things outside of work to stimulate your mind.
    Thanks! I completely agree, and it sounds like the perfect 'winter project' for me, since I'll be hibernating inside my apartment for 4 months from the arctic air anyway.