User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    -what is your IQ and your confidence with it?
    On the high ridge of average. My confidence in this assessment is shaky. I've never taken an official test, but there is some consistency between the online test's I've taken.

-how much does your view of "intelligence" align with contemporary IQ views on general intelligence factor?
    I'm too uneducated on this question to answer.

-are multiple intelligences a better representation of people's traits, or a hoax to cater to feelings of the dumb, or something in between?
    Maybe just two different ideas working on different dynamics? Multiple intelligences seems to operate on an idea of overall intellectual equality and it's focus seems to be in describing where a particular person's intellectual emphasis rests. IQ seems to describe the heirarchical quantity of a particularly defined intellectual ability.

-have you wished to be of different IQ?
    Yes.

-have you noticed a drop in IQ?
    No, but that is because I had no previous measure.

-has type awareness brought different view on IQ? how so?
    It was through exploration of type that I became interested in seeking out what my IQ was, so it heightened my awareness of the concept.

I have grown very sensitive and irritated by stratifaction of types as more or less important to society based on generalizations of which types are "smarter". I admit this sensitivity is indicative of an internal bias toward those with higher intelligence conflicting internally with my value of the overall equality of all people.

-have you aimed for the best job available to your intelligence?
    No. I pursue what engages me and I prefer not to tie my interests to my paid employment. I have tended to pursue employment that probably undershoots what the online assessed IQ level would place as appropriate.
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My IQ when I was five tested somewhere in the 140-150 range and that is what I get now (145-155) on any online test I've taken... although I would have to take a "real" IQ test to be sure.

Still, IQ tends to cater towards pattern-matching and other "N" activities, as well as to white western cultural values. Also, having a good IQ has not really improved my life, as far as I could tell, and in some ways has simply made any perception-based pain worse. I see many successful and happy people with lower scores on their IQs. So in terms of overall life success and appreciation, IQ seems to mean little. It is only one more tool to be wielded by the individual in the pursuit for pursuit fulfillment and contribution to others.

As I've gotten older, I do indeed feel "dumber" (I know my memory is shoddier than it used to be). I know intimately the embarrassment of looking in the face of someone I've known for a few years and momentarily realizing I have forgotten what their name is. ()

Part of this is based on poor physical habits. i don't get nearly enough sleep, and I need to improve my diet. I also need to "use my mind" more and stretch it and anchor data with multiple connections. I think part of the rut of adulthood is that it's easy to get into a pattern that no longer stretches you; you need security at this time of life, to provide income for a family and emotional foundations for the kids and marriage, and so you no longer have the real pragmatic need (nor the energy) to actively stretch your mind and build connections among your memories. Accordingly, "IQ" might drop; your thoughts have become somewhat entrenched and are no longer as flexible, you're far too interested in "what works" or what is practical...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Online tests put me in the 130s if I remember right. My intelligence is lopsided and concentrated mostly in verbal and to a lesser degree in non-mathematical logic. I seriously suck at spacial stuff.

I don't see where being bright has done me a whole lot of good irl. I'm pretty good at taking tests and sometimes I impress people with my mad vocab skillz, but I'm just as likely to put people off by using "big words."

I do feel less sharp than I used to, but as with Jennifer, I think exhaustion plays a part in that.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    IQ tends to cater towards pattern-matching and other "N" activities, as well as to white western cultural values
    I like to say intelligence is the ability to see connections. Per definition intuitives would be better (on average). Is there anything wrong with being superior? There is tons of stuff sensors are better at than intuitives as well (on average). Let’s just admit these things, and get on with our lives …

About the bias towards western cultural values, I hate that argument. Sure some tests, especially old tests, sin in this department, but newer tests are far better. Why do you think East Asians score best in IQ tests (on average)? If they do, surely the tests can not be that biased … Results can of course be explained by average brain size differences between "races".

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I seriously suck at spacial stuff.
    You can't suck that much, since there usually is a heavy load of visual tasks in IQ tests. What do you score in this ( http://iqtest.dk/main.swf ) exclusively visual IQ test, for example?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I like to say intelligence is the ability to see connections. Per definition intuitives would be better (on average). Is there anything wrong with being superior? There is tons of stuff sensors are better at than intuitives as well (on average). Let's just admit these things, and get on with our lives ...
    Isn't that sort of what we're doing? (I didn't have anything else to say about it, personally, except that we should be aware of what sample of a population a particular test or type of test might cater to. I don't really have any axe to grind.)

About the bias towards western cultural values, I hate that argument. Sure some tests, especially old tests, sin in this department, but newer tests are far better. Why do you think East Asians score best in IQ tests (on average)? If they do, surely the tests can not be that biased …
    Of course, Asian culture has been increasingly becoming westernized over the last few decades... so.... who's to tell? At the least, it's clearly documented that eastern and western cultural mindset makes a large difference in test scores depending on the sort of question being asked.

(For example, in picture analysis, asian cultures are trained to be more holistic, western cultures tend to look at the pieces of the picture. Still, both cultures are impacting and changing each other, so perhaps this will even out eventually...?)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Of course, Asian culture has been increasingly becoming westernized over the last few decades... so.... who's to tell? At the least, it's clearly documented that eastern and western cultural mindset makes a large difference in test scores depending on the sort of question being asked.

(For example, in picture analysis, asian cultures are trained to be more holistic, western cultures tend to look at the pieces of the picture. Still, both cultures are impacting and changing each other, so perhaps this will even out eventually...?)
    What you are saying then is that East Asians are even more intellectually superior to whites than IQ tests suggest?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

-what is your IQ and your confidence with it?
    I've never been formally tested, and I don't trust online test results enough to repeat them. My only formal indication comes from being tested as "gifted" in the school screening process--I think they tested primarily IQ but didn't tell us the number. In comparison to my classmates I'm probably in the top 10-25% in terms of raw intellect - bright but not genius level. My confidence in this assessment is quite shaky!

-how much does your view of "intelligence" align with contemporary IQ views on general intelligence factor?
    I don't know what the contemporary view is. I value intelligence.

-are multiple intelligences a better representation of people's traits, or a hoax to cater to feelings of the dumb, or something in between?

Neither really. Calling things like emotions and sporting ability intelligence is a bit silly, but there are many skills/qualities which are worth as much or more than IQ.

-have you wished to be of different IQ?
    No, I wouldn't want to be much higher or lower, as either one creates problems.

-have you noticed a drop in IQ? If so, have you done a conscious effort to negate the effect? If not, what abilities or perceptions have helped to turn the situation around?
    No, but I do feel a lot less "special" now that I'm in constant contact with people who are as smart or smarter than me at university. I felt so smart in middle/high school, which never challenged me in any way. But I'm aware that this is only a result of comparison to others; I'm not actually dumber now.

-has type awareness brought different view on IQ? how so?
    I'm not sure. I read that S's are supposed to have lower IQs but this theory isn't borne out in my personal experience, and it tends to make me overly defensive as a result.

-have you aimed for the best job available to your intelligence?
    I think I'm aiming at a job a step below that level, because I think the work will make me happier.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What you are saying then is that East Asians are even more intellectually superior to whites than IQ tests suggest?
    I'm not saying anything except what I said already, since I would be speaking from ignorance to try to draw any hard conclusions without more specific research on my part.

Why is this issue so important to you?

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm not saying anything except what I said already, since I would be speaking from ignorance to try to draw any hard conclusions without more specific research on my part.

Why is this issue so important to you?
    Because a lot of IQ opinions annoy me like hell, because they are so politically correct. People refuse to see the obvious.

You claim there is a western bias in these tests. That would imply East Asians would score better compared to people from western countries, if the tests had no bias. Which in turn would imply they are more superior than the tests show.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You claim there is a western bias in these tests. That would imply East Asians would score better compared to people from western countries, if the tests had no bias. Which in turn would imply they are more superior than the tests show.
    Start a new thread about IQ "bias" and rail on about it, if you'd like. Some people might enjoy it.