User Tag List

123 Last

Default How do you react to neuroscience moving towards explaining the mind?

Well... it'd technically be more accurate to say attempting to figure out behaviour or the mind. Considering the forum we're on, most of us are probably rather fond of theories within psychology about how we behave, how we think, how we feel and everything else that comes with this field.

There is an old documentary called "Brain Story" about a neuroscientist explaining functions. But more disturbingly, the idea that even the most intense and surreal emotions can be explained away by combinations within the brain. While the mind-body problem has always existed within philosophy, this evidence does sort of point towards one direction surely?

Back the to original question. How do you react to the whole thing? Discoveries about how we operate being reduced to atoms moving about.
    Regardless in a practical daily life sense, it doesn't really seem to matter much but perhaps contemplation of the matter has an influence on your life.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think it's great. I'm totally pro-neuropsychology, which is an interesting field of psychology, and perhaps the most scientific. I think basic neurotransmitters like dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin play a huge role in behavior, one that we are only beginning to understand.

Some might think it takes away the mystery and romance of the human experience, but I think of the scientific unraveling of our behavior as a mystery unto itself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I wish it were true that science was closer to discovering what causes consciousness and qualia. Sadly, everyone is still stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Back the to original question. How do you react to the whole thing? Discoveries about how we operate being reduced to atoms moving about.
    Well, how is it different from knowing that cutting someone's head off kills them? (Aside from a more detailed knowledge of the operations)

It doesn't take away any of the 'magic'. Regardless of how happiness is explained, it's still happiness, and still amazing.

It doesn't take away the magic in another sense either. Philosophically, correlating neuron signals to mind activity, doesn't prove anything beyond that they are correlated (Like I said earlier, we already knew this from the way people die). When one changes, the other changes. Causation could be going in any direction. (Perception creates reality, reality creates perception, neither etc.) We are simply beginning to see that correlation in much more detail.

It doesn't even contradict any of the religions I know of.

Complex systems are inherently unpredictable. And the brain is one of the most complex systems in the world.

This means we will never be able to explain the brain. And if neurology tries to explain the brain, it will take its place among alchemy, astrology and MBTI.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Complex systems are inherently unpredictable. And the brain is one of the most complex systems in the world.

This means we will never be able to explain the brain. And if neurology tries to explain the brain, it will take its place among alchemy, astrology and MBTI.
    It may never explain the brain fully but we all know that it's possible to explain aspects of the brain in order to create a more accurate model of the mind. That's all I meant by attempting to explain.

Most people would agree that even with the most complicated systems there is some form of determination going on, and for those who cite QM as a counter point. It's plausible that there's an even more fundamental rule set going on in the background that is fixed, course this is an assumption at this point.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think it's great. I'm totally pro-neuropsychology, which is an interesting field of psychology, and perhaps the most scientific. I think basic neurotransmitters like dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin play a huge role in behavior, one that we are only beginning to understand.

Some might think it takes away the mystery and romance of the human experience, but I think of the scientific unraveling of our behavior as a mystery unto itself.
    Yes.

I don't understand why knowing how emotions/impulses/chemical reactions work negates the importance they have on most people's lives.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Yes.

I don't understand why knowing how emotions/impulses/chemical reactions work negates the importance they have on most people's lives.
    Mm... I think of it similar to as how a person feels life is meaningless when they first discover that free will might be an illusion. It's that component that seems magical to most people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm totally in favor of it! I wish for it to happen more than anything. I'm sick of not knowing how the mind works.

Let's expose the raw gears and mechanisms of the mind! Yeah!

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Mm... I think of it similar to as how a person feels life is meaningless when they first discover that free will might be an illusion. It's that component that seems magical to most people.
    Magical? I don't understand.

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Magical? I don't understand.
    the concept that you can actually do something if you tried it hard enough...almost seems like a scientific process

science understanding the human brain will work to provide people with more unnecessary and responsibility-evading crutches...'such and such is because my cerebrum synapses probably just fired chemicalABC into the temporal lobe...its not my fault'

it will be upon the uncovering of such knowledge that the world will be in need of understanding the holiness of science even more