User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 100

  1. #81
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    And that's where the difference lies. I cry when I am legitimately sad about something, so it's news to me that other people don't. I assume it's this way for most of the men who feel manipulated. I mean, I laugh when happy not angry. I eat when hungry, not bored... same principle.
    You are very lucky. The times I cry, like I said in my last post, are a result of many types of emotions, all built up. I am NOT being manipulative when I cry, because I didn't want to be crying in the first place. I'm not using it - it's using me. It's... automatic. And it can be humiliating.

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    The example you give is extreme. What about the example of women who cry to get out of speeding tickets? I've met a number of those. They are happy to admit it. And Sanveane has also given examples. Runvardh has referred (albeit vaguely) to having had experience with manipulative-criers. As has Alcea Rosea. And EJCC. And Berberella.
    The manipulative criers I've met were both doing so just to get some attention. Both of them succeeded in getting a hug from me, and sympathetic words. It wasn't for any material gain. I have NEVER met a woman who did anything like, say, crying to get out of speeding tickets. Also, I should add that those two women who manipulated me... had troubled pasts, to say the very least. One of them especially - I'm sure it was horrible, but she's a compulsive liar, so I have no idea how much of what she's told me was true (although her friends have told me that her parents essentially did nothing - it was like everyone in her family lived alone, and did their own thing, and never spoke to one another. All through her childhood.) So because of this, I don't think you should use me as evidence.

    You know, there's another thread that cites an article (written by a man) where one of the main points is that, supposedly, women need entertainment, and they'll do whatever they have to do (emotional manipulation, cheating on their spouse) to get it. I find that male paranoia similar to the things that JJJ has been saying - i.e. a big claim full of suspicion with hardly any evidence to support it. Sure, you know a few women who brag about fake crying to get (out of doing) things. Before saying that, therefore, a large percentage of women do this, there are other things to take into consideration. Do you think where you live has anything to do with it? All the women who have told you that they fake cried to get something - would you say that they're manipulative people in general? Do you think some of them may have been lying, to impress you?

    To answer your question, fidelia - I don't know if type has much to do with which women will do this sort of thing (although I'll bet that unhealthy ESFPs have an advantage). There are so many other factors, you know? HOWEVER, I'll bet that NTs are the most likely to be paranoid about crying as manipulation, because they don't relate to crying in many circumstances.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  2. #82
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    I don't like to cry in front of people and don't, usually. I couldn't cry at my brother's wake or funeral; I couldn't cry until everyone except my live-in boyfriend was gone from my house. If I'm in a public situation and somebody shouts or screams at me, I am likely to cry, but I find somewhere to hide first so that I can do it. But if I feel comfortable with a friend or lover, I will cry in front of that person. It's a big trust thing for me.


    A problem that I am having now and several women who I identify very strongly with have had as well is this: We cry in front of our lovers/partners, and we tend to cry when things get emotional, period. It is just an outward and visible sign of our investment, though we may not be horribly injured by something. If we are expected to have an emotional conversation, it must also be expected that we will cry some as that is just our natural physical response to the stress or whatever.

    And then the conversation stops, or starts to be about the crying. The men, even as well as they know us, are crippled by the tears. They may become afraid to be open with us because they're afraid we'll cry. And then things end up getting much worse, ensuing in more tears.

    What are some solutions to this awful communication loop?
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  3. #83
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    ...
    However, tears are not always manipulative and it is important to consider the other possibilities of why people cry instead of immediately jumping to that conclusion.
    Yes, of course. I just don't think it's a T/F thing. I'm not automatically suspicious but I am also not fooled by tears nor feel the need to act in a sympathetic way when someone cries and it's disingenuous.

  4. #84
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think all of the INFJs in this thread so far have expressed that they truly dislike crying in front of others. I know I do. I also view manipulators with disdain.

    However, tears are not always manipulative and it is important to consider the other possibilities of why people cry instead of immediately jumping to that conclusion.
    I HATE crying in front of people who don't know me well enough to know it's just something I do. In fact, I'm not a huge fan of crying in front of people who DO know me well enough to know that. I wish that I could choose to cry or not depending on the circumstances but it's just not an ability I have. I'm never consciously manipulating, and I'm usually trying to get it to stop. That's never very successful, so the only thing left is to duck out of the interaction altogether. Then they REALLY think something is way bad wrong.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  5. #85
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,132

    Default

    The reason I brought up type was that in our discussion of STJs in the past, I was surprised to see how many viewed what they termed as crying (but which could include behaviours such as complaining etc) as a manipulative bid to gain sympathy that they did not deserve, or to beat a dead horse instead of getting around to solving the problem. I know that INFPs I have talked to have also expressed this frustration as well. Certainly many NTs seem to view crying with suspicion because they appear to be less prone to it. And yet, there are other types for whom tears seem to be a natural response to emotion and they would also assume the same of others.

  6. #86
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,132

    Default

    Eileen, you have an excellent point. I am going to paste a copy of something I wrote in a conversation to JJJ about this very subject.

    I have noticed though that a man's feelings of "I've crossed the line" usually are translated into stressed and often angry behaviour which makes the other person feel like crap if the tears were involuntary and he already feels like crap and so now you both do and there doesn't seem to be a way out of it. EDIT: So, many things are just left unresolved because the reactions of both parties are uncomfortable to deal with.

    If it's number two, the reasons why he thinks she's overreacting are rarely explored first. He may be lacking important information for judging the greatness of the overreaction. And sometimes the emotion needs to be cleared away in order to get down to effectively shifting attention to finding a solution. (This is something men sometimes forget and actually delay this shift by starting an exchange that creates more emotion). Often it just escalates into a fight about why she shouldn't feel the way she does (which creates more emotion and crying), or is seen as a judgement on her character (either she's illogical or her feelings are not worthy of being taken seriously).

    I do think it's manipulative however for women to use the hormone card as an excuse for poor behaviour. I do see that happen and many women feel justified in doing so. I find for myself that when I am physically or emotionally low on reserves I am more likely to be prone to tears under stress, so it is something worth factoring in, although the feelings would still be there about the issue, just not as extreme.

    How do you think men and women can overcome this divide in perspectives?

  7. #87
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I don't like to cry in front of people and don't, usually. I couldn't cry at my brother's wake or funeral; I couldn't cry until everyone except my live-in boyfriend was gone from my house. If I'm in a public situation and somebody shouts or screams at me, I am likely to cry, but I find somewhere to hide first so that I can do it. But if I feel comfortable with a friend or lover, I will cry in front of that person. It's a big trust thing for me.


    A problem that I am having now and several women who I identify very strongly with have had as well is this: We cry in front of our lovers/partners, and we tend to cry when things get emotional, period. It is just an outward and visible sign of our investment, though we may not be horribly injured by something. If we are expected to have an emotional conversation, it must also be expected that we will cry some as that is just our natural physical response to the stress or whatever.

    And then the conversation stops, or starts to be about the crying. The men, even as well as they know us, are crippled by the tears. They may become afraid to be open with us because they're afraid we'll cry. And then things end up getting much worse, ensuing in more tears.

    What are some solutions to this awful communication loop?
    Ah! Interesting... *ponders*. As an old friend, you've been in tears talking to me about something I was going through, and I remember (at first) thinking -while being quite touched - that it was due to emotional fragility, and then realising after that I needed to reevaluate downwards what tears mean to you vs tears for me (I have shed tears, i think, once in the last three years so for me it is a "big deal"). If my perspective is helpful, I think it helps to have you explain what you have done in this thread, and that ensure that someone like your bf recognises the tears for what they mean for you. It's even helped me a year or so after the event, to read it, so I am sure when it is contemporary it will do so



    Tricky one though.

  8. #88
    Free-Rangin' Librarian Jae Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    What are some solutions to this awful communication loop?
    Write a letter. This does two things: 1) it takes crying out of the realm of possibility; 2) it gets your thoughts and feelings out and makes things clearer to you.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

  9. #89
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    You are quite right JJJ to feel resentment towards women who cry about speeding tickets etc and then boast about it later.
    I don't feel any particular resentment towards fake-criers because I've never been on the receiving end of it. I don't personally have any strong feelings on the subject one way or the other.

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    You know, there's another thread that cites an article (written by a man) where one of the main points is that, supposedly, women need entertainment, and they'll do whatever they have to do (emotional manipulation, cheating on their spouse) to get it. I find that male paranoia similar to the things that JJJ has been saying - i.e. a big claim full of suspicion with hardly any evidence to support it.
    What have I been saying? That some women use tears to manipulate? How is that paranoid? How does that qualify as a "big claim full of suspicion with hardly any evidence to support it"? I think you need to go back and reread what I've actually said. There's sufficient anecdotal evidence on this thread alone to justify what I've actually said.

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Sure, you know a few women who brag about fake crying to get (out of doing) things. Before saying that, therefore, a large percentage of women do this, there are other things to take into consideration. Do you think where you live has anything to do with it? All the women who have told you that they fake cried to get something - would you say that they're manipulative people in general? Do you think some of them may have been lying, to impress you?
    Again, tell me where I said a large percentage of women do this?

    And in answer to your questions: I don't know if where I live has anything to do with it, but I doubt it. The few women I've known well enough to have a sense of their character who have fake-cried to get out of speeding tickets have not been manipulative people in general. Most of the women who have related similar anecdotes haven't been familiar enough to me to have an accurate read of their characters. And no, I doubt they were lying to impress me.

  10. #90

    Default

    JJJ, I think it is more your repeated voical of your opinion on the topic than your literal text that is furthering the opinion that you generally think of crying as manipulation.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Similar Threads

  1. Men, Women, and Monkeys (split)
    By Magic Poriferan in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 03:39 PM
  2. Women and men: exploring the "wo".
    By Samuel De Mazarin in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 03:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO