Thread: Entitlement

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    An high sense of entitlement is most common in which types? Fi users I think can be trapped by it if not so healthy.
    And in your opinion, is there a big difference between a self-entitlement (only as an "internal state") and an entitlement meaning someone who expects-needs-absolutely wants that his entitlement is validated by others even in "forceful" or manipulating ways?
    I think it might be equally common across all types. It's a trait of human nature.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Annwn View Post
    This is a constant issue when interacting with people. It has also been a focus of my life for the last five years or so. It has been my goal to let go of all sense of entitlement over things outside my control. This includes not considering myself cheated if someone less qualified is chosen for a job, if someone just decides it isn't worth the effort for my friendship. It is about letting go of feeling ownership over something that is in the hands of someone else to make choices about.

There is a great deal of suffering and anger that results from the creation of an ideal inside one's mind, and then expecting that to occur in the outside world. Even my diplomas state that I am entitled to all the rights and privileges associated with this degree. Since graduating I have learned they are mistaken. It isn't that I don't deserve certain things, it is that the entire process of feeling entitled to something is irrelevant. We can certainly make efforts to achieve what we desire, but effort and desire alone does not secure anything. They are intrinsic and separate. By focusing on the intrinsic value of my own self, my choices, my space, and feeling entitled to that, it has allowed me to start letting go of everything else.

What do you think?

Sadly, I think you're right. It would be nice though if there were more 'guarantees' in life.

This sense of entitlement is what I personally struggle with most. I find it next to impossible not to feel cheated for example if someone less qualified than I gets chosen for a job.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

I'm not sure if what Annwyn described is entitlement. But letting go of anything that's outside our control with full acceptance that it is outside our control is a worthwhile coping tool. The question is whether we're capable of judging what's truly outside of our control.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    I'm not sure if what Annwyn described is entitlement. But letting go of anything that's outside our control with full acceptance that it is outside our control is a worthwhile coping tool. The question is whether we're capable of judging what's truly outside of our control.
    In a way you will have to admit that you yourself are out of control. I have no power over most of what my body does. I don't even have proper control over my thoughts.

I'll agree that we fool ourselves into believing we have full control over ourselves since we can't control our unconscious mind and how it processes input. But we can control our behaviours and responses by offsetting with balancing thoughts and if done consistently, IMO, we can somewhat if not fully, reroute our neural pathways.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Annwn View Post
    This is a constant issue when interacting with people. It has also been a focus of my life for the last five years or so. It has been my goal to let go of all sense of entitlement over things outside my control. This includes not considering myself cheated if someone less qualified is chosen for a job, if someone just decides it isn't worth the effort for my friendship. It is about letting go of feeling ownership over something that is in the hands of someone else to make choices about.

There is a great deal of suffering and anger that results from the creation of an ideal inside one's mind, and then expecting that to occur in the outside world. Even my diplomas state that I am entitled to all the rights and privileges associated with this degree. Since graduating I have learned they are mistaken. It isn't that I don't deserve certain things, it is that the entire process of feeling entitled to something is irrelevant. We can certainly make efforts to achieve what we desire, but effort and desire alone does not secure anything. They are intrinsic and separate. By focusing on the intrinsic value of my own self, my choices, my space, and feeling entitled to that, it has allowed me to start letting go of everything else.

What do you think?
    I feel we are entitled to certain things, but these things are internal such as freedom of speech and dissent, but I don't believe we are entitled to anything physical like money or nice clothes. that being said, the internal things human being are entitled to (summed up quite nicely in the bill of rights) are well worth fighting for if violated
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire