User Tag List

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default Problem Gambling

There was lately a new trend shipped to Europe over the Ocean, namely Poker and a lot of people started playing it. Not late after that several new TV shows arose, showing Poker competitions and all people went crazy about it.

I played too, occasionally. Liked the game, though it hasnt got the strategical depth like Skat or Doppelkopf the games we normally play over her.

At first I played with some friends and the stakes were like $5 for everyone, so no big deal. I, as I said only played occasionally and therefore I didnt participate regulary.

They developed, over stakes from $10, to $20 they play around stakes of (and thats the buy-in) 50 - 100 Euro, which is around $70 - $140.

Thats pretty much given the relation that most of them do study and only earn around $500 / month.

They talk about nothing else than Poker nowadays. Yesterday I gave a birthday party, together with another guy and the poker players even went on a birthday Party to sit together and gamble.

I am no expert on Problem Gambling and I wanted to ask, if anyone got first hand experience with that and can tell if intense gambling always has to become a problem or if the guys just may loose intrest over time in the game, as I did.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

You can never tell what is going to turn someone into an addict. I am surrounded by addiction all around me and I know how easy it is for something to turn from fun into a serious problem. For gambling, watch out for someone who really believes that "just one more time" and they will get their money back. People who are borrowing money to gamble, or to pay bills since they lost money gambling...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Some people lose intrest on it, for some it will become a problem and some can keep it in healthy limits.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

ok. I think the same, I am just not fond with a maybe more expert view on the topic and if there are some indicators I overlooked.

We got one guy who justifies by telling "that he always gets out what he gives in", I think he has gone the most far of them.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTj

It's only a problem if you're losing.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP

I would never play online poker. It's too easy for them to cheat especially since there is no regulation.

It's not unlike the spot forex market. They are unregulated and free to bend the rules in their favor. People who don't know that will get spanked repeatedly. It's even in the mandatory disclosure. "If the market goes against you and XYZ FCM chooses not to cover their risk, they could stand to make more money from your losing trade." (paraphrased)

But at least if you have a good sense for how and when they bend the rules you can avoid those situations.