• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you feel after a day in these jobs? Part III, associate professionals

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
An 8 hour day.

Measuring, editing and visualizing geographical data as a Surveying Technician

Design, maintain and supervising the installation of telecommunications systems

Estimate the amount of timber in a forest, plan for logging with the foresters and participate in reforestation.

Composing songs for your band, arranging gigs to bars and nightclubs and playing an instrument

Teaching theory in a driving school, giving driving lessons and administrating driving tests for them

Designing statistical data collection, analysis, interpretation and publishing the results

Helping people maintain, restore and develop their movement and functional ability as a physiotherapist

Evaluating and planning for filming locations and timetables, overseeing set construction, and hiring extras

The whole series:

Part I, simple jobs
Part II, skilled jobs
Part III, associate professionals
Part IV, experts
Part V, managers

Last edited:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'd be thrilled if my results made a difference to a project, but I'd probably think I'd accomplished little. So, I'd feel fine.

Design, maintain and supervise the installation of telecommunications systems
I'd be quite happy, if a bit burdened by the amount of work alone. I'd rather not work for a huge ISP that has dozens of technicians working on small parts just like me.

Estimate the amount of timber in a forest, plan for logging with the foresters and participate in reforestation.
Being outside a lot, doing manual work, too.. I'd be afraid of making an accident with the chainsaw, but at least my job had felt real and I'd be satisfied.

Composing songs for your band, arranging gigs to bars and nightclubs and playing an instrument
The pressure from trying to be appealing to multiple people would be very wearing, but I'd be thrilled from performing well, supposing I could do it.

Teaching theory in a driving school, giving driving lessons and administrating driving tests for them
I'd rather teach another subject, I'd do this less than half-hearted. I'd be glad from overseeing the whole process of their learning, so I'd be content, if bit meh.

Designing statistical data collection, analysis, interpretation and publishing the results
If I got to find new statistical phenomena to examine, and I could make my own research plans, I'd be absolutely thrilled. If it's making the same chart over and over again, I'd be depressed.

Helping people maintain, restore and develop their movement and functional ability as a physiotherapist
I wouldn't be in this kind of work in the first place, and if I were, I'd just bite my teeth to get over the dullness, and having to be "therapeutic, understanding and nice" and all

Evaluating and planning for filming locations and timetables, overseeing set construction, and hiring extras
This would be frigging awesome! Okay there's a lot of detailed planning involved, but It'd be okay, I'd see it before my eyes how my work influences everything. I'd be excited.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well geographical data is boring, but collecting data about a rocket test firing would be hot or developing a new engine concept for cars

This special branch of Computer and Electronics never got much of my attention

Would be cool, I'ld feel that I did something good

Would be easy, as my musical style would be prolly Schranz or some other evil german techno consisting of only 3 notes per song :D

Again as a german guy it would be hell for the people I teach, due to my pedantic nature :D Fun for me ? Maybe for a week

One has to do that at least once in his life and that's when one does his PhD. Other than that I'ld like a ship, 50 loyal marine soldiers, 10 geeky scientists and 1 chef and an unchartered piece of island

I imagine, given my medical skills, this would end like Mary Shellys Frankenstein

Again, not so thrilling, but worth an experience for maybe 1 or 2 weeks. I'ld rather act myself tho.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

I would love it. I love geography and using my visual abilities.

Sounds boring, but tolerable.

I'd really like it, especially the outdoors part.

Bad, I'm not good with instruments, also I don't think I could compose songs that easily.

Bad, I don't like to shout at people, and I wouldn't love the danger.

Sounds fine, as long as I had freedom (i.e. I wasn't forced to be at the office every day). If I had to sit in a cubicle doing it for 8 hours, I'd feel like I'm going to die.

If I could do it, It'd be great. I don't think I have the skills, though.

Sounds weird, I wouldn't love to interact with movie stars, but better than many other jobs. However, I'm sure that it would be extremely stressful.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Even skilled jobs can be learned if one has the ability and believes he/she would enjoy the job. Everybody has to start from scratch at some time. So it's less of a matter of initial skill I'm asking, but more of the job's suitability for different personalities after the job has been learned.

It's interesting to know how easy / hard it would be for any of you to learn some skill, given the expectation of working with it, and how much those work settings described would motivate you towards learning.

It's the expectation of how one would feel in a job that motivates or discourages people, in addition to ability, practical possibility and other stuff.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I always wanted to become a doctor of Medicine as a child. Read like a million books about it when I was young. Never knew how I ended up with mechanical engineering.

I am convinced, had I done it the other way around, namely to read alot of books about engineering when I was young, I would have become a doctor :D

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Like I wanted to kill myself

Pretty pumped to see what I designed in action, and to see how the stuff actually works. I also like big-picture planning and supervising.

Drained...doesn't sound very interesting.

Embarrassed at how horribly I did =(

Driving theory? what? At any rate sounds pretty lame...I wouldn't mind it for a day though, since there'd be tons of people to talk to.

Designing the data collection and analyzing it sounds pretty fun. Actually making the tables and publishing it would suck. I'd be down though.

Awkward, bored, and tired.

Since it's only a 1 day thing, it'd be pretty cool to see how that stuff works. I wouldn't like it much though.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
One has to do that at least once in his life and that's when one does his PhD. Other than that I'ld like a ship, 50 loyal marine soldiers, 10 geeky scientists and 1 chef and an unchartered piece of island
Omg, finding new areas in the world would be most extreme, awesome situation ever possible to imagine in my life. Finding mental and intellectual areas come only second noticing that all the areas in the world have been found, more or less..

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Ohhh, there is more. Bring it on. :)

That could be interesting.

I would only do the supervising part of the job.

Cool.

No, not really

They would never pass their test (speed limits are only a guide ;))

Boring.

Not rewarding enough.

I could do this.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Would enjoy it.

Would enjoy it.

Would enjoy the challenges in the work. But couldn't do it ethically.

First part is my ultimate job. Arranging gigs is one of those things you'd have to do, planning the craziness of them would be fun though. Playing an instrument would be awesome, if only I could :).

Would be fun, except all the crying failures and the people who crash the car with you in it.

Wouldn't mind this at all. Could be fun. Maybe too methodical and no brainer.

Have no drive to do it. But would like it I think.

Let me do all the other stuff. This would be like getting a job in the playboy mansion as a eunuch.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Let me do all the other stuff. This would be like getting a job in the playboy mansion as a eunuch.
Haha nice way to put it. I get you.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
An 8 hour day.

I... can't imagine most of these jobs. I don't have the mental capacity to understand the descriptions of half of them, and the ones I do sound like things I'd never be able to do. Like things I'd ask others to do for me as part of a larger project, or else things my supervisor would be telling me to perform a smaller/simpler part of. Sounds so broad and yet focused. :shock:

That answer goes for ALL of them. Dead serious.

Does that make sense? I have a strong feeling that I could only work as subordinate to such people, or have them as my subordinates... not BE on this level.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

Pretty bored.

Incompetent and bored.

Bored.

I'd feel great. If I could play an instrument, probably one of my ideal jobs.

Yuck. No way.

If it were about something interesting and I could collaborate with smart and creative people, I'd love it.

If not, I'd hate it.

It would be satisfying on a certain level, but I'm not into it.

I'd be in heaven. Probably in my top 3 dream jobs.

THANKS FOR THESE QUESTIONNAIRES, BY THE WAY---They are really helping me narrow down my career goals. :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sad and upset.
Design, maintain and supervising the installation of telecommunications systemsAlright, a little stressed.
Estimate the amount of timber in a forest, plan for logging with the foresters and participate in reforestation.Sad and bored.
Composing songs for your band, arranging gigs to bars and nightclubs and playing an instrumentExcited... (sneaks in a few more hours than 8.)

Teaching theory in a driving school, giving driving lessons and administrating driving tests for themAlright. A job is a job. A little blah. A little stressed about that one brat.

Designing statistical data collection, analysis, interpretation and publishing the results Alright.
Helping people maintain, restore and develop their movement and functional ability as a physiotherapist Pretty good though a little frustrated.
Happy, energized.

These are fun. Now that *some* of the jobs are actually tolerable.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I would probably enjoy doing something like this, though I might feel anxious about my performance. I don't know if I'd be good at it.

I'd feel fine doing this, but I'd probably feel frustrated and exhausted at the "supervising" bit.

This would probably be okay, since being outdoors makes it seem less like work. I probably wouldn't feel satisfied at the end of the day because the work seems pointless and shallow, but I wouldn't be too worn out either.

I'd probably feel pretty good doing something like this because it doesn't feel so much like hard work.

I would hate this job and be very exhausted. I get extremely anxious in the car if it's not me driving, so I'd be mentally worn down by the end of the day.

I'd probably feel pretty good about it. This seems like something I'd like.

I would be exhausted because working with and (especially) touching strange people all day would be very taxing. Plus I find that type of work boring.

Being involved in film making sounds like it'd be fun, but this description is too managerial to be of my liking. I'd more than likely be exhausted after a day of this type of work.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Getting out into the field and doing measurements could be fun, and making conclusions for construction projects, etc. would appeal to me. I'd probably like at least a good portion of this.

Design, yes. Maintain and supervise, no.

I'd like this. Getting out in the forests, analyzing forestry data and helping with the maintainability and productivity sounds like fun, and pretty rewarding to boot. Of all the jobs in your parts 1-3, I'd like this the best.

Assuming I had even the tiniest shred of musical skill (I don't), I'd like composing and playing an instrument. I'd despise the "arranging gigs" part - enough so that if the three came as a discrete set, I'd not do any.

Hmm... I'm just totally "meh" on this one. Nothing enjoyable in it (I like teaching, but teaching driving? *Yawn*).

Probably too much quantitative detail for me. I could probably do it (or learn to do it well), but it wouldn't be enjoyable. I'd be more likely to be interested in the studies, and totally uninterested in the statistics and publishing parts.

Sort of like the personal trainer part, I would (probably surprisingly) potentially enjoy this. I'd probably get a little discouraged when people quit, but teaching and helping people in a truly goal-oriented (for them) task would be enjoyable and rewarding for me.

No thanks. Evaluating locations in an artistic sense? Sure... but this sounds like the business part of the deal - which I'd hate. Especially the timetables and hiring extras part.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I gave them ratings (along with descriptions) too. 10 being the best, 1 being the worst.

- The measuring ane editing part is alright, visualization would take a bit more work, but overall wouldn't seem too strenuous. Not the most interesting job, but I would like it.
Rating: 7.5

- Would probably be more interesting, however it will also be more taxing. Although not as boring, I wouldn't like it as much as the first choice, but still would like it.
Rating: 7

- Good to work in the outdoors (which I assume will be a big part of this job), doesn't seem too mentally taxing but more physically taxing with bringing in the logs. Wouldn't like it as much as the former two.
Rating: 6

- Wouldn't like it that much. Although I like to deal with music a lot and am good at it, I wouldn't want to constantly perform at different bars and nightclubs. Not my job.
Rating: 4

- Wouldn't like it either. Seems a little risky, what with the brand new drivers handling cars and such. I also don't like teaching things in general, takes a lot out of me lol. Not a big talker. Plus dealing with the different students. Wouldn't like this job.
Rating: 3

- This is more of my kind of job. I'm very talented in things involving statistics and data. However the design and analysis (and interpretation) can potentially be a little difficult. Still, I'm sure if I can learn it, I will do a good job. Though it's not the most interesting job in the world, I'd like this one.
Rating: 8

- Not my kind of job. It would require a tremendous amount of patience, which I don't really have. I wouldn't be able to be as active as I want with this job, although I would mean well.
Rating: 6

- Nah, too much management for me. Don't like bossing people around anyway, and I wouldn't want this much responsibility. Don't like responsibility.
Rating: 4

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Sounds kinda tedious.

This might be fun. It depends on how structured the job is. (structure = bad)

Same as #2

Oh hells to the yeah! :cool:

This would be fun at first, but I'd get bored at the repitition eventually.

Same as #2

Sounds boring.

This one sounds pretty fun. Although again it depends on how structured it is.

P

Phantonym

Sounds OK. I could do that. Might get a bit boring after a while, though.

I'd take the designing and supervising the installation part but leave the maintenance to somebody else.

I'm not really that psyched about this but I guess I could do it for a while but not for years on end.

:holy: :holy:

:shock: Giving driving lessons is like the most horrible job in the world. I thought that when going through driving school and I haven't changed my mind since. I guess I'd be OK with teaching theory and administrating driving tests.

:sleeping: Ok, I wouldn't mind doing the analysis and interpretation part.

I'd like to do that. Helping people, motivating them. Sounds great.

:holy: :holy: :holy: