User Tag List

123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default How would you feel after a day in these jobs? Part III, associate professionals

An 8 hour day.

Measuring, editing and visualizing geographical data as a Surveying Technician

Design, maintain and supervising the installation of telecommunications systems

Estimate the amount of timber in a forest, plan for logging with the foresters and participate in reforestation.

Composing songs for your band, arranging gigs to bars and nightclubs and playing an instrument

Teaching theory in a driving school, giving driving lessons and administrating driving tests for them

Designing statistical data collection, analysis, interpretation and publishing the results

Helping people maintain, restore and develop their movement and functional ability as a physiotherapist

Evaluating and planning for filming locations and timetables, overseeing set construction, and hiring extras

The whole series:

Part I, simple jobs
    Part II, skilled jobs
    Part III, associate professionals
    Part IV, experts
    Part V, managers
    Last edited by UnitOfPopulation; 08-10-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default How would you feel after a day in these jobs? Part III, associate professionals

I'd be thrilled if my results made a difference to a project, but I'd probably think I'd accomplished little. So, I'd feel fine.

Design, maintain and supervise the installation of telecommunications systems
    I'd be quite happy, if a bit burdened by the amount of work alone. I'd rather not work for a huge ISP that has dozens of technicians working on small parts just like me.

Estimate the amount of timber in a forest, plan for logging with the foresters and participate in reforestation.
    Being outside a lot, doing manual work, too.. I'd be afraid of making an accident with the chainsaw, but at least my job had felt real and I'd be satisfied.

Composing songs for your band, arranging gigs to bars and nightclubs and playing an instrument
    The pressure from trying to be appealing to multiple people would be very wearing, but I'd be thrilled from performing well, supposing I could do it.

Teaching theory in a driving school, giving driving lessons and administrating driving tests for them
    I'd rather teach another subject, I'd do this less than half-hearted. I'd be glad from overseeing the whole process of their learning, so I'd be content, if bit meh.

Designing statistical data collection, analysis, interpretation and publishing the results
    If I got to find new statistical phenomena to examine, and I could make my own research plans, I'd be absolutely thrilled. If it's making the same chart over and over again, I'd be depressed.

Helping people maintain, restore and develop their movement and functional ability as a physiotherapist
    I wouldn't be in this kind of work in the first place, and if I were, I'd just bite my teeth to get over the dullness, and having to be "therapeutic, understanding and nice" and all

Evaluating and planning for filming locations and timetables, overseeing set construction, and hiring extras
    This would be frigging awesome! Okay there's a lot of detailed planning involved, but It'd be okay, I'd see it before my eyes how my work influences everything. I'd be excited.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Well geographical data is boring, but collecting data about a rocket test firing would be hot or developing a new engine concept for cars

This special branch of Computer and Electronics never got much of my attention

Would be cool, I'ld feel that I did something good

Would be easy, as my musical style would be prolly Schranz or some other evil german techno consisting of only 3 notes per song

Again as a german guy it would be hell for the people I teach, due to my pedantic nature Fun for me ? Maybe for a week

One has to do that at least once in his life and that's when one does his PhD. Other than that I'ld like a ship, 50 loyal marine soldiers, 10 geeky scientists and 1 chef and an unchartered piece of island

I imagine, given my medical skills, this would end like Mary Shellys Frankenstein

Again, not so thrilling, but worth an experience for maybe 1 or 2 weeks. I'ld rather act myself tho.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I would love it. I love geography and using my visual abilities.

Sounds boring, but tolerable.

I'd really like it, especially the outdoors part.

Bad, I'm not good with instruments, also I don't think I could compose songs that easily.

Bad, I don't like to shout at people, and I wouldn't love the danger.

Sounds fine, as long as I had freedom (i.e. I wasn't forced to be at the office every day). If I had to sit in a cubicle doing it for 8 hours, I'd feel like I'm going to die.

If I could do it, It'd be great. I don't think I have the skills, though.

Sounds weird, I wouldn't love to interact with movie stars, but better than many other jobs. However, I'm sure that it would be extremely stressful.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ

Even skilled jobs can be learned if one has the ability and believes he/she would enjoy the job. Everybody has to start from scratch at some time. So it's less of a matter of initial skill I'm asking, but more of the job's suitability for different personalities after the job has been learned.

It's interesting to know how easy / hard it would be for any of you to learn some skill, given the expectation of working with it, and how much those work settings described would motivate you towards learning.

It's the expectation of how one would feel in a job that motivates or discourages people, in addition to ability, practical possibility and other stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I always wanted to become a doctor of Medicine as a child. Read like a million books about it when I was young. Never knew how I ended up with mechanical engineering.

I am convinced, had I done it the other way around, namely to read alot of books about engineering when I was young, I would have become a doctor
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP

Like I wanted to kill myself

Pretty pumped to see what I designed in action, and to see how the stuff actually works. I also like big-picture planning and supervising.

Drained...doesn't sound very interesting.

Embarrassed at how horribly I did =(

Driving theory? what? At any rate sounds pretty lame...I wouldn't mind it for a day though, since there'd be tons of people to talk to.

Designing the data collection and analyzing it sounds pretty fun. Actually making the tables and publishing it would suck. I'd be down though.

Awkward, bored, and tired.

Since it's only a 1 day thing, it'd be pretty cool to see how that stuff works. I wouldn't like it much though.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    One has to do that at least once in his life and that's when one does his PhD. Other than that I'ld like a ship, 50 loyal marine soldiers, 10 geeky scientists and 1 chef and an unchartered piece of island
    Omg, finding new areas in the world would be most extreme, awesome situation ever possible to imagine in my life. Finding mental and intellectual areas come only second noticing that all the areas in the world have been found, more or less..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

Ohhh, there is more. Bring it on.

That could be interesting.

I would only do the supervising part of the job.

Cool.

No, not really

They would never pass their test (speed limits are only a guide )

Boring.

Not rewarding enough.

I could do this.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Ohhh, there is more. Bring it on.
    There will be two more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]