• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IQ and GQ and the Genius of the Rice Plant

Mole

Permabanned
An IQ is a measure of intelligence and GQ is a measure of genes.

For instance, you have 120,000 genes but a simple rice plant has 150,000 genes.

So a rice plant has a GQ about one and a half times higher than yours.

If we translate this roughly into IQ, the rice plant has an IQ of 150 while you have an IQ of 100. So a simple rice plant is considerably more genetically intelligent than you.

And this not only applies to rice plants, it applies to all plants. In fact plants are biochemical geniuses.

And plants have to be biochemical geniuses because they can't move, quite unlike ourselves who can move all over the place. So plants have to do everything by biochemisty and they do. And they make us look like dummkofps.

How amazing that we can now read our genome back to the dawn of time, and we can now read the genome of any living creature.

And we can recognize the pure genius of even a rice plant.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Isnt GQ a magazine for adult men ?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
So, we're more stupid than rice.
And still, we eat the rice, the rice doesn't eat us.:D
The wiseness of the rice doens't prevent us from eating it. Poor rice. :cheese:
So, my end conclusion is that you dont' have to be the wisest to survive.
How logical is that? :laugh:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
But the rice wants us to eat it, doesn't it? So we will spread its seed or continue to cultivate it? So really we're just doing its bidding. We're all hapless rice minions.

Mole

Permabanned
So, we're more stupid than rice.
And still, we eat the rice, the rice doesn't eat us.:D
The wiseness of the rice doens't prevent us from eating it. Poor rice. :cheese:
So, my end conclusion is that you dont' have to be the wisest to survive.
How logical is that? :laugh:

Au contraire, just as a flower uses a bee to reproduce, rice uses us to reproduce. Just look how successful they have been. They use us to plant themselves all over the globe in the most favourable conditions. Why even in the Australian Bush we grow rice with irrigation. We think we grow rice to eat but rice feeds us in order to create more rice plants. We are the servants of rice and merely eat the crumbs of rice from the table.

Ivy knows we are rice minions.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I recently read about genetically modified rice that has human immunity genes spliced in. That is some seriously Frankensteiny stuff. I think I'll stick to old fashioned.

I would like to also assign to rice a Deliciousness Quotient which would be roughly 1000 times that of a human. I assume.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Victor...

ERROR, does not compute.

Intelligence is not in number of genes. After all, you have "smart" genes and you have "dumb" genes. Clobbering more pieces of junk genes does not make it better.

Imagine a computer... a very very old computer, perhaps a commodore 64. Does it compare to one of our modern netbook? Or even a handheld computer? No. What if we stick 10 commodores together into a system. How does that compare? Still no comparison. Well what about 100? how about 1000? Does that compare?

No, it does not. The processing speed of individual units is much much slower than that of a netbook. Also the larger the network is, the more problems it has with utilizing every single unit effectively.

Therefore having 100X the components does not make a smarter computer. So more genes in a rice plant does not make them smarter than us.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
An IQ is a measure of intelligence and GQ is a measure of genes.

For instance, you have 120,000 genes but a simple rice plant has 150,000 genes.

So a rice plant has a GQ about one and a half times higher than yours.

uh?:shock:
No, if the 120 000 is the base 100 then the rice plant has 125 GQ

Lots of genes are non codant , btw. It's a natural effect of evolution.

Mole

Permabanned
Victor...

ERROR, does not compute.

Intelligence is not in number of genes. After all, you have "smart" genes and you have "dumb" genes. Clobbering more pieces of junk genes does not make it better.

Imagine a computer... a very very old computer, perhaps a commodore 64. Does it compare to one of our modern netbook? Or even a handheld computer? No. What if we stick 10 commodores together into a system. How does that compare? Still no comparison. Well what about 100? how about 1000? Does that compare?

No, it does not. The processing speed of individual units is much much slower than that of a netbook. Also the larger the network is, the more problems it has with utilizing every single unit effectively.

Therefore having 100X the components does not make a smarter computer. So more genes in a rice plant does not make them smarter than us.

I was talking to a rice plant the other day and she told me she has gone right off the literal minded.

Mole

Permabanned
WTF? Seriously... :dry:

And another rice plant told me that just as all the children in Lake Wobegon are above average, all the Litvyaks of Hungary are also above average.

Who would have guessed?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was talking to a rice plant the other day and she told me she has gone right off the literal minded.

*does not compute*

When you invent phrases like this that do not convey any meaning in the way language is used today, you should really provide a key for us or something like that ;)

MBTI Type
INxJ
I recently read about genetically modified rice that has human immunity genes spliced in. That is some seriously Frankensteiny stuff. I think I'll stick to old fashioned.

Yes. All GMOs require a bacteria/virus to break down it's walls in order to allow the scientist to alter it's genes.