User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: asperger thread

MBTI
    INTP

Smile asperger thread

Neuroatypicality = the primary function is subconscious?

I am interested to find out the people in the forum who have a confirmed (=settled, sanctioned) diagnosis of the asperger syndrom/autism.

If you do not want to come out in the open forum you are invited to PM.

In addition (not irrelative to the subject) I am interested to find out about the correlation between autism and the MBTI type.

I also appeal to the people who have an autist relative or a friend.

Say.. a function says something is ok.
    Another function intervenes and says it is not ok.
    Or vice versa.

Decision brings about action.
    What is the mechanism order that brings about the decision?

And what has it all to do with the function order?

Does the illuminated object illuminate itself?

MBTI
    ENTP

My daughter has Aspies. She seems to be ENTP though, same as me. I used to think she was INTP, but by the time she was 9 she was more popular at school than her ENFJ sister (who herself, was always very gregarious and easily makes friends). Whenever we have people over, she always wants to be where the people are and loves to talk. She's also nowhere near as unsettled by changes in routine etc than any other Aspie I know.

The shrink can't understand it. He says without a doubt she does have Asperger's, but yet she seems to cope with it so well.

I've a theory that if she is ENTP, then perhaps the dominant Ne sorta compensates in a way for the effect of the autism, making her almost as adaptable and sociable as the next person...

My dad had it too, and he was ISTP. Never particularly popular, he was never totally rejected either, he's coped reasonably well sociably most of his life and managed to get married and have 5 kids, get and hold down jobs. Granted, his wife left him and his kids didn't want much to do with him past adulthood, because of his TOTAL obsession with his religion and INSISTENCE that it was the best thing for everyone, and that everyone just loved to talk about it all the time! Being his kid was never easy either, as he just point blank could never see anyone's point of view and would punish SEVERELY those who couldn't come round to his. But I can't imagine my daughter having these problems anywhere near so much.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

I am not confirmed, but there there was suspicion.

Since I have basically recovered from my depression (which seemed somewhat tied to my Asperger's like symptoms), my counselor said not to worry about that unless things get bad again(to avoid negative rumination, I guess).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I am supposed to have asberger's from some testing done when I was pretty young. It doesn't really mean anything to me, because I already know that I'm not very social and that I tend to get very interested in things. These traits don't really seem strange, though, they just seem like variations on what other people are like. I don't really mention it at all, because I'd rather have stuff I say be taken for what it is, not as stuff that "the asberger guy" does.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

At first, it was believed I had ADD. To the casual observer, ADD and Asperger's can seem very much alike. Mentally, however, they're the exact opposite. Where ADD finds it difficult to concentrate on one thing, Asperger's finds it difficult to concentrate on more than one thing. I was discovered to have Asperger's in the end because my interests were more obsessive.

Asperger's presents a problem in academia in that the person's focused interest is usually unrelated to what is being taught in the classroom. This is what I had. I wasn't particularly scatter-brained, but off in my own little world.

I've worked on correlations with these mental "disorders" with Jungian functions in defense to prove that they are not disorders as much as personality differences.

ADD* (attention deficit disorder) corresponds primarily to Ne.

ADHD* (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) corresponds primarily to Se.

ASD (autistic spectrum disorder) corresponds primarily to Ni.

*It is important to note the differences between ADD and ADHD which are often overlooked. Both disorders are characterized by scattered tendencies, but ADD patients are more mental (i.e. thinking about many things at once), while ADHD patients are more physical (i.e. not being able to sit still in class).

It is also interesting to note that I did not correlate any sort of mental "disorder" with Si. This is because because more than any other function, Si has a keen eye for noticing behavior traits that are out of the ordinary. Coupled with Te, Si will then categorize certain behavioral tendencies.

I almost correlated the Si type with OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder), but I then decided that OCD is more of an IxxJ trait.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My sons are both high functioning autistics.

I have not been able to figure out my older son's type with any certainty. He is louder than the rest of the family and he loves to ham it up in public, but he cannot figure out on his own what appropriate ways of doing that are -- appropriate as in getting people to think "What a funny guy!" instead of "What a weird little freak! I wonder what's wrong with him?" They laugh at him and may even like him, but the laughter is uncomfortable laughter. He has his little obsessions, currently video games and pigs. He knows what the rules are and tries to follow them, but sometimes it is hard for him to control his impulses. He is a very picky eater.

My younger son is most likely an INTP or an ISTP. He is normally pretty quiet. He wanders off mentally and physically if you let him. He hates certain sounds, especially loud ones of certain frequencies like weed eaters, vacuum cleaners, hair and hand dryers. His obsession is vehicles and machines. He loves to learn about how things are made and how they work. He also is very interested in certain animals, especially insects and dinosaurs, for now, at least. Rules concern him because he does not want to be "undew awwested." He does not consider other children his peers and he does not consider adults to be his superiors, though he knows he has to play along.

Both of my sons are of average or better intelligence and both are very good at math. At least at their grade level.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INtP

I've lately been highly suspected of having AS (which I don't personally consider a disorder) and am planning on reserving a time for researches. When I was younger, I was almost an archetype of a child with Asperger's, but it has slowly become less visible, mainly due to social pressure.

But indeed, it's not "set in stone" so I don't know if I can fully contribute (in reality I don't feel like writing much more at the moment).

Has anyone read about the theory about the link between autism and Neanderthals?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My sons are both high functioning autistics.

I have not been able to figure out my older son's type with any certainty. He is louder than the rest of the family and he loves to ham it up in public, but he cannot figure out on his own what appropriate ways of doing that are -- appropriate as in getting people to think "What a funny guy!" instead of "What a weird little freak! I wonder what's wrong with him?" They laugh at him and may even like him, but the laughter is uncomfortable laughter. He has his little obsessions, currently video games and pigs. He knows what the rules are and tries to follow them, but sometimes it is hard for him to control his impulses. He is a very picky eater.

My younger son is most likely an INTP or an ISTP. He is normally pretty quiet. He wanders off mentally and physically if you let him. He hates certain sounds, especially loud ones of certain frequencies like weed eaters, vacuum cleaners, hair and hand dryers. His obsession is vehicles and machines. He loves to learn about how things are made and how they work. He also is very interested in certain animals, especially insects and dinosaurs, for now, at least. Rules concern him because he does not want to be "undew awwested." He does not consider other children his peers and he does not consider adults to be his superiors, though he knows he has to play along.

Both of my sons are of average or better intelligence and both are very good at math. At least at their grade level.
    I'd say your older son is some kind of ENTJ or loud INTJ. Somehow I don't think the xSTJ would as likely be labeled a "freak" by others, because they're better at being normal.

It sounds like your other son is INTP. I don't know, but I'd expect an ISTP to be more in tune with the physical world and less likely to mentally wander off.

The Portable Jung indicates that Ni types are susceptible to hypersensitivity and phobias in the environment because of their underdeveloped Se. Ni tends to suffer from sensory overload. The description does seem very consistent with the hallmark symptoms of HFA.

The Portable Jung also explains that Ni seeks to actively study every detail of whatever interests them. Si, by contrast, tends to be more passive and takes things as they come, sometimes at the risk of becoming a doormat.

MBTI
    INTJ

I would be interested to see if the appearance of type is influenced by Asperger's or if a tendency towards Asperger's is influenced by type.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm trying to create an outlook that the autistic rights activists would have a field day with.