User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 132

Thread: asperger thread

  1. #81
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Not too sure about that Carebear... I think my Aspie daughter could well be ENTP. It's not that she doesn't use an extraverted perceiving function, it's more that she's sorta perceptionally dyslexic, if you get my meaning? She uses it as much as the next guy (well, unless the next guy is me or someone with even more dominant Ne lol), but there's a mental block that prevents her from using it correctly. Or she just perceives different things to me, because she has different values and priorities. Just like I have a hell of a time using Se, not because I can't look outside of myself, but because I've spent most of my life just uninterested in the things Se has to offer; in a similar way, I think my daughter is just not interested in the sorts of things I use my Ne to see, and so uses hers to see other stuff.

    That, and the social dyslexia thing. I mean I have known dyslexic people (worked with a help group once) who were Se or Ne dominant, and used it brilliantly in all things except literacy; could be that extraverted perceiving Aspies are similar, in that they use their perceiving function just fine, in all areas except social.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    ENxJ
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    If you evaluate a measure the first question should be:
    Who employs the measure?
    The end is the means.

    Statistics has got the logic inside the measure.
    Is the logic of a thing inside the measure?
    I am asking what measure he employed to prove his hypothesis and what population he sampled? I understand what statistics are....I've had three classes.

  3. #83
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    well, yes Sub- sometimes people who can't read as well compensate by developing coping strategies that can put them ahead of others in other areas of life!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  4. #84
    Senior Member MerkW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by armstrongvk12 View Post
    I completely agree! I do have a very dear friend who is an INTJ...and there is a sort of aspberger-ness to him, but I think is due to 1) his absolute honesty, despite hurting other's feelings 2) his anti-social behavior 3) his diminished ability to "read" others in his dealings with people. He is a STRONG INTJ which makes sense given the things that I mentioned.
    What on earth does that have to do with what I said?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

    "Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

    INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    ENxJ
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gothamcitygirl View Post
    Why do they insist on teaching to his weaknesses, like organization, instead of his strengths? Someone once said madness is defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, but the teachers never change their strategies so that they can effectively teach him. (And they say HE needs drugs??)
    The reason why the teachers continue to teach to your son's weakness is because they are teaching to THEIR strength. I am going to assume that your son may still be in elementary school? Most elementary school teachers are women and they happen to be SJs. They are into conformity, rules and control. When your son does not conform to their requests, they take it personally because these are things that are important to SJs. Most teachers are not NTs, are not interested in potential (just performance) and most teachers are not gifted. I always try to explain to children like your son....I am not grading your brain, which may be an "A," I am grading what you turn in to me because I have nothing else to grade. I am an ENTJ gifted teacher and a gifted NT is one of the rarest of birds. I would try to find a magnet school that perhaps focuses on science...or a school where the focus is on gifted children.

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    ENxJ
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    What on earth does that have to do with what I said?
    Oops! I guess I didn't understand what you were saying!

  7. #87
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Your argument appears somewhat logically superfluous.

    From the DSM-IV:


    Name one thing on that list that is distinctly Ti.

    I don't know about distinctly Ti, but i don't think it's distinctly Ne either.

    1. Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.

    eh. lack of Se or Te.

    2. Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.

    lack of Te?

    3. Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.

    Ti hyperfocusing possibly...trying to abstract a system. Lack of Se? i don't know about functions on this one...some sort of focus on an introverted function?

    4. Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).

    Lack of Te or Si?

    5. Often has trouble organizing activities.

    lack of Te.

    6. Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).

    mehhhhh. Ne or Se i guess.

    7. Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).

    lack of Te.

    8. Is often easily distracted.

    Se or Ne

    9. Is often forgetful in daily activities.

    Lack of Te.


    well you're right. i can't really find anything that's distinctly Ti.

    but a heavy focus on Ti may explain the lack of focus on other extroverted functions. i guess that's more what i was trying to get at. so maybe i was approaching my argument the wrong way.

    i should've made the claim that ADD isn't necessarily Ne. instead, it's a lack of Te. yeah, that's a better claim.

    you win!

  8. #88
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    I'd like to interject a question, if I may.

    Briefly, what is hyperfocusing? And would any of the following be examples of hyperfocusing:

    - While watching an interesting movie, not hearing one brother talking to him while said someone's brother is sitting about two feet away.

    - Being so engrossed in trying to solve a problem that one does not realize this his or her boss has been standing behing him or her for a few minutes.

    - The ability to tune out everything except the precise thing one is focusing on at the moment.

  9. #89
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    I'd like to interject a question, if I may.

    Briefly, what is hyperfocusing? And would any of the following be examples of hyperfocusing:

    - While watching an interesting movie, not hearing one brother talking to him while said someone's brother is sitting about two feet away.

    - Being so engrossed in trying to solve a problem that one does not realize this his or her boss has been standing behing him or her for a few minutes.

    - The ability to tune out everything except the precise thing one is focusing on at the moment.
    yes, those are all examples.

    that's more what my ADD is about

  10. #90
    Senior Member MerkW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    I'd like to interject a question, if I may.

    Briefly, what is hyperfocusing?
    The definition of hyperfocus:
    "...[A]n intense form of mental concentration or visualization that focuses consciousness on a narrow subject, or beyond objective reality and onto subjective mental planes, daydreams, concepts, fiction, the imagination, and other objects of the mind."

    And would any of the following be examples of hyperfocusing:

    - While watching an interesting movie, not hearing one brother talking to him while said someone's brother is sitting about two feet away.

    - Being so engrossed in trying to solve a problem that one does not realize this his or her boss has been standing behing him or her for a few minutes.

    - The ability to tune out everything except the precise thing one is focusing on at the moment.
    Not the first as much, but certainly the second and third.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

    "Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

    INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The Asperger's Appreciation Thread!
    By AgentF in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
  2. Introductory threads encouraged!
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
  3. Geoff makes obligatory welcome thread
    By Geoff in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
  4. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO