Thread: asperger thread

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Everyone on the Internet forums has Asperger's, FM.

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I didn't know about Asperger's until I joined this forum. After reading up on it, a lot of the symptoms actually seem to fit me. Can anyone outline what would differentiate Asperger's from love-shyness or social anxiety disorder? I'm not one of those people that sees a disease in the news and automatically thinks that they have it. I just think that if I could put a name to what is different about me then I'd feel a little less like a freak. Thanks!
    There are MANY differences between social anxiety and Asperger Syndrome. Asperger Syndrome is much more complex.

For one, people who are socially anxious are simply overwhelmed with anxiety in social situations. People with AS may similarly be anxious, but there is also another factor. People with AS have problems reading facial expressions and tone variations. They may similarly have an odd monotonous or sing-song voice, and may often have an expressionless face. People with AS may interpret speech literally. They may have trouble distinguishing what is considered socially appropriate or not. They may have trouble expressing empathy in conventional ways. People with AS also usually have intense interests that may even seem obsessive. People with AS may also express rigid OCD-like rituals. People with AS might also have various sensory disturbances, not to mention occasional problems with motor coordination.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    There are MANY differences between social anxiety and Asperger Syndrome. Asperger Syndrome is much more complex.

For one, people who are socially anxious are simply overwhelmed with anxiety in social situations. People with AS may similarly be anxious, but there is also another factor. People with AS have problems reading facial expressions and tone variations. They may similarly have an odd monotonous or sing-song voice, and may often have an expressionless face. People with AS may interpret speech literally. They may have trouble distinguishing what is considered socially appropriate or not. They may have trouble expressing empathy in conventional ways. People with AS also usually have intense interests that may even seem obsessive. People with AS may also express rigid OCD-like rituals. People with AS might also have various sensory disturbances, not to mention occasional problems with motor coordination.
    Thank you, Merkw. These are ones that definitely apply to me. I had obsessive interests as a child, but that has mellowed with age. I don't really have OCD tendencies at all, with the exception of having to keep things on my desk flush with the corners. I'd say maybe it's possible I have a mild case (if there even is such a thing), but probably more likely that I just have severe social anxiety and that my incompetence at social ritual is more a result of lack of practice.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes, Merkw is absolutely right.

An example of my Asperger trait is my tendency to keep on joking while everyone has moved on. Or I tend to talk about the same issue after the conversation has moved onto something else.

I used to be unaware of what is socially appropriate and I still tend to be. Sometimes I'll make jokes in public that are very inside, and no one understands me. However, other times I am aware of socially appropriate behavior but I just don't care because, to me, social niceties are just a set of pointless rules, most of which exist because society at large fears anything that hints the idea of change.

Sometimes I'll exhibit socially bad habits such as chewing with my mouth open or slurping hot liquid such as soup or coffee. I will be told to stop, but I tend to refuse to, because it doesn't bother me when other people do it. So I guess by doing such acts in public, I'm saying that if I'm not bothered by it, then why is everyone else? I feel that the only reason people say it disgusts them is because that's what they were taught. And I just tend to laugh at those people's foolery.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I once pretended to have Aspergers when my parents made me go to a school function I wanted nothing to do with. It was a good way to make what would have been an atrocious evening into a fun no-trouble-for-me, chaotic* ruined (ridiculous and annoying) waste of school's money.

*exaggeration

I know it's kind of not fair to the people who actually have asp. and try to overcome the inherent social problems; furthering the damage to the reputation and all, but I couldn't resist. Sorry guys.
    we fukin won boys

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I once pretended to have Aspergers when my parents made me go to a school function I wanted nothing to do with. It was a good way to make what would have been an atrocious evening into a fun no-trouble-for-me, chaotic* ruined (ridiculous and annoying) waste of school's money.
    Would you care to elaborate on the whole situation?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on the whole situation?
    Not really. I probably did a horrible impression -- I had only read about it by that point, and most of I had read was that they have trouble knowing what's not acceptable: social customs and such. Really it was more like, aspergers was my excuse. I guess I shouldn't say that I actually impersonated someone with it (now that I am telling the truth about it).
    we fukin won boys

I can identify with any sickness. I have already identified with both ADHD, and AS. I'd say by the descriptions it's much more ADHD. I can't look people into the eyes and stuff though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I do not have a confirmed diagnosis as far as I know, but was recognized as somewhere on the autism spectrum at my schools. The details of how that happened are still not clear, though I do believe based on my obsessive study on the matter that I am mildly neuro-atypical.

People with AS have problems reading facial expressions and tone variations.

I may actually be close to average at doing this now, but only after 20 years of picking up the patterns. It is somewhat easy to guess how someone is feeling if you map the shape of their eyebrows and/or match their face to the appropriate emoticon.

They may similarly have an odd monotonous or sing-song voice, and may often have an expressionless face.

My voice is somewhat sing-song normally, but switches to monotonous when in lecture mode. I am not sure about my face, though I have been told that my facial expressions do not match my emotional state.

People with AS may interpret speech literally.

Yep, has got me in trouble countless times.

They may have trouble distinguishing what is considered socially appropriate or not.

I have also picked some of this up through patterns, though I still do not believe these things are inappropriate.

They may have trouble expressing empathy in conventional ways.

Yes, it is very awkward for me to express empathy, if I try to.

People with AS also usually have intense interests that may even seem obsessive.

Yes, I have had many intense interests over the years. I would consider my current interest in typology to be pretty obsessive

People with AS may also express rigid OCD-like rituals.

I'm not sure about this. I seem to run by some sort of complex ritual system that I can't even really put words to.

People with AS might also have various sensory disturbances, not to mention occasional problems with motor coordination.

I have some mild sensory disturbances, and I am hopelessly uncoordinated.

My type is INTP, and my most recent cognitive function order is: Ti, Ne, Fi, Te, Ni, Si, Se, Fe

Also, on this quiz I tend to score about 170/30 Aspie/Neurotypical

I have tons more I could say about this, but for now I'll just answer any questions that come my way.

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by hommefatal View Post
    I can identify with any sickness. I have already identified with both ADHD, and AS. I'd say by the descriptions it's much more ADHD. I can't look people into the eyes and stuff though.
    You just busted the sterotype that only INTP's hav eit. +1 !