User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 132

Thread: asperger thread

  1. #101
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    My cousin is a high functioning autistic- he appears to be an INTJ from all of my years of knowing him, but I couldn't swear on it. Unfortunatly, his parents don't work much with him and because of that he has quite a bit of trouble with some social functions- he's the only other member of my family who DOESN'T immediatly go in for a hug when meeting someone new!

    The whole Se/ADHD thing might have some point I suppose- my ESTP cousin and I have both been diagnosed with ADHD, but never medicated. Both of us are dyslexic as well. The doctors were afraid to give me medicine- apparently they thought it would swing me from my normal state, which they described as mildly hypomanic, to a depressed state

    I'm happy with that- I can't sleep anyways
    My ex landlord had the bipolar thing but he was in a hypomanic state. While he was there he was active in the stock market. He lost all his money within a month and then he lost the money of his wife and the money of his partner.
    One day a strange man I had never seen was in my house when I came in. He was sitting in the middle of the living room as if it had been his own home. Well it was, and he told me that quickly! I could see he was the partner.
    Then the landlord came in. Well, now he was the ex lord. The partner informed him he is not the President of the company any more.

    The ex lord went to see his doctor, who prescribed him some pills. Because of the pills he became a chronic depressive. He was very sad. We went to the sauna. He said his life is over. It was Christmas, and he and his wife invited me over to have the Christmas meal. It was like in a funeral.

    Why did the doctor prescribe those depressants? The patient had already lost all his money. He had no money to lose any more!

    Who needs to sleep. We can all sleep in the grave when this nonsense is over.

  2. #102
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by armstrongvk12 View Post
    I am asking what measure he employed to prove his hypothesis and what population he sampled? I understand what statistics are....I've had three classes.
    I had only one and I got fail.

  3. #103
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    INFJ --> Ni Fe Ti Se

    IMO, it's kinda up in the air what your last 6 functions are. for me it goes Ni, Fe, Ti, blah, blah, blah, blah, Se.

    and i also think that my ADD has much to do with the strength and frequency of use of my Ti. once my Ti is satisfied with a subject, why pay any more attention? if i'm engaged, i'm quite engaged (hyperfocusing), but if not, i can't really focus at all.

    before i came to Cal (and here too to a lesser extent), i was always in the top few students in all my classes...not in terms of grades, but in terms of comprehension and speed. so it was extremely difficult for me to do tasks (busywork) that seemed easy for everyone else. (they were easy for me too, i just had to push myself insanely hard to complete them, since they were pointless.)

    so yes, i agree that there's a correlation between ADD and Ne. but i also think there's a correlation between ADD and Ti.
    So you have taken the function order test or no?
    Fe and Ti are the end points of the continuum Fe/Ti.
    If your auxiliary function is Fe.. Ti naturally assumes the postion of the 7th function.

    If you are ESTJ or INFP or ENTJ or ISFP you can have Fe followed by Ti or vice versa. They are the types whose Fe and Ti functions fall in the middle of the continuum. Why? Because their Te and Fi functions assume the reverse position.
    Think of the old fashioned weight with two cups.
    When are the two cups side by side?

  4. #104
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Actually, his religion was Jehovah's Witnesses, far from the norm. He got into it mainly as a crutch after my mom left him years ago. Those guys turned up on his doorstep when he was the most vulnerable (as they tend to do) and hooked him in with all the things he wanted to hear: no it's not your fault your wife left you, it's because Satan is ruling this world. Come with us, follow our rules, and everything will be better. He was isolated and alone and down and they gave him a 'family' when my mom took his away.

    He didn't insist that everyone follow it, just us kids. His thinking was that as our father, it's his job to do what's best for us, and since he totally believed that following that religion would lead to us all being together on a paradise earth one day, it was really important to him that we followed it. He couldn't understand our points of view, and his peers in the congregation of course only reinforced the view that it was important to 'bring us round' and that we'd thank him for it in the end. Of course they had no idea how extreme the means were that he was using on us, as I'm sure even they would've condemned that.

    I'm very sure he was ISTP though. I - he spent looooong periods completely alone and took a job as a truck driver, saying the thing he liked most about it was being able to be alone on the road for long periods. He was also the stereotypical handyman, obsessed with engines and vehicles of various kinds, and a highly skilled crafstman. He was, in most matters other than his religion (which was only in the last 20 years of his life), pretty laid back and laissez-faire.

    But I've known some other ISTP's to be surprisingly rigid about some of their opinions, and quite judgemental of people who don't share them. My step-dad for example is also ISTP and he's as laid back as they come, but if you start him off on the Arabs or his football team, he can easily rival any SJ for rigidity.
    He sounds like an ISTP all right. They tend to be superior cratsmen and mechanics and lorry and bus drivers.
    Apart from that religious thing he quite resembles my ISTP brother.

    But even that is understandable after you explained it.

  5. #105
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    So you have taken the function order test or no?
    Fe and Ti are the end points of the continuum Fe/Ti.
    If your auxiliary function is Fe.. Ti naturally assumes the postion of the 7th function.

    If you are ESTJ or INFP or ENTJ or ISFP you can have Fe followed by Ti or vice versa. They are the types whose Fe and Ti functions fall in the middle of the continuum. Why? Because their Te and Fi functions assume the reverse position.
    Think of the old fashioned weight with two cups.
    When are the two cups side by side?
    i dunno, wildcat, i just disagree. i certainly use Ni first, then Fe, making me INFJ. and i honestly Ti almost as much as Ni or Fe. i don't think the "rules" are set in stone when you're talking about functions. in fact, i've found (through observation) that most people's tertiary functions are pretty well developed.

    my INTJ friend has strong Fi.
    my ENFP aunt has strong Te.
    my ENTJ friend has strong Se.
    etc.

    but it doesn't hold in all cases -- my ISFJ mom has terrible Ti.

    so i've concluded that the function order (beyond the first two) is just some sort of guideline.

    extraverted Sensing (Se) (13)
    introverted Sensing (Si) (6)
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (35.5)
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) (47.5)
    extraverted Thinking (Te) (19)
    introverted Thinking (Ti) (44.3)
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) (47.5)
    introverted Feeling (Fi) (27.2)

    now, i don't think these results necessarily accurately represent the strength of my preferences, but they come close. (i don't think my Ne should really be so high, i just think the questions are somewhat vague between Ne and Ni)

    you're trying to say that a IFJ would have Fe, Te/Fi, then Ti. but my functions just blatantly don't follow that claim.


    anyways, i maintain that the function theory reason for my ADD is an overly engaged Ti. when it's going, it's going, and there's no stopping it.

  6. #106
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    My cousin is a high functioning autistic- he appears to be an INTJ from all of my years of knowing him, but I couldn't swear on it. Unfortunatly, his parents don't work much with him and because of that he has quite a bit of trouble with some social functions- he's the only other member of my family who DOESN'T immediately go in for a hug when meeting someone new!
    The bolded part struck me as funny, whatever, because my nine year old son (high functioning autistic) went through a phase in the fall where he was hugging people indiscriminately. The incident that sticks out in my mind was when we had just pulled up and parked at home when he saw two ladies (neither of whom I would recognize if I saw them again) pushing their babies in strollers down the sidewalk. He popped out of the van and ran up to one of the ladies and gave her a hug. She was pretty surprised. The speech therapist worked with him on who was appropriate to hug and he seems to have about the right balance now, but it was a little scary when he was doing that. It would have been so easy for someone to take off with him.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  7. #107
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    yeah- the last time I saw him his mother had talked to him about how hugging people is a good thing so he went to hug everyone at least once I ran like a dog from a vaccuum cleaner....

    I wish that he would go back to NOT hugging (and I'd forgotten that until you posted that Cafe!)

    ( I don't like to be hugged)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #108
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    yeah- the last time I saw him his mother had talked to him about how hugging people is a good thing so he went to hug everyone at least once I ran like a dog from a vaccuum cleaner....

    I wish that he would go back to NOT hugging (and I'd forgotten that until you posted that Cafe!)

    ( I don't like to be hugged)
    Do dogs really hate vacuum cleaners? If so I might have a problem as I am definitely getting a dog one of these day but I'm a clean-freak.

  9. #109
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    My dogs hate them, but worse, that same son does, too. I warn him before I turn it on so he can run outside until I finish.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  10. #110
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    i dunno, wildcat, i just disagree. i certainly use Ni first, then Fe, making me INFJ. and i honestly Ti almost as much as Ni or Fe. i don't think the "rules" are set in stone when you're talking about functions. in fact, i've found (through observation) that most people's tertiary functions are pretty well developed.

    my INTJ friend has strong Fi.
    my ENFP aunt has strong Te.
    my ENTJ friend has strong Se.
    etc.

    but it doesn't hold in all cases -- my ISFJ mom has terrible Ti.

    so i've concluded that the function order (beyond the first two) is just some sort of guideline.

    extraverted Sensing (Se) (13)
    introverted Sensing (Si) (6)
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (35.5)
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) (47.5)
    extraverted Thinking (Te) (19)
    introverted Thinking (Ti) (44.3)
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) (47.5)
    introverted Feeling (Fi) (27.2)

    now, i don't think these results necessarily accurately represent the strength of my preferences, but they come close. (i don't think my Ne should really be so high, i just think the questions are somewhat vague between Ne and Ni)

    you're trying to say that a IFJ would have Fe, Te/Fi, then Ti. but my functions just blatantly don't follow that claim.


    anyways, i maintain that the function theory reason for my ADD is an overly engaged Ti. when it's going, it's going, and there's no stopping it.
    Your function order is Ni Fe Ti Ne Fi Te Se Si.. actually it could read:
    Fe Ni Ti Ne Fi Te Se Si

    and the ENFJ model:
    Fe Ni Ne Fi Te Si Se Ti

    the INFJ model
    Ni Fe Fi Ne Si Te Ti Se

    NFJ is Te > Ti; Si > Se
    NFP is Ti > Te; Se > Si

    On the other hand you are Fe > Fi; Ni > Ne, a J charasteristics.

    At first sight it looks close to an ENFJ pattern, yet is not.
    The E/I ambivalence is linked to the P/J ambivalence.

    It seems the ADD throws you off the rocker, as you say.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The Asperger's Appreciation Thread!
    By AgentF in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
  2. Introductory threads encouraged!
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
  3. Geoff makes obligatory welcome thread
    By Geoff in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
  4. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO