User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Thread: asperger thread

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Not too sure about that Carebear... I think my Aspie daughter could well be ENTP. It's not that she doesn't use an extraverted perceiving function, it's more that she's sorta perceptionally dyslexic, if you get my meaning? She uses it as much as the next guy (well, unless the next guy is me or someone with even more dominant Ne lol), but there's a mental block that prevents her from using it correctly. Or she just perceives different things to me, because she has different values and priorities. Just like I have a hell of a time using Se, not because I can't look outside of myself, but because I've spent most of my life just uninterested in the things Se has to offer; in a similar way, I think my daughter is just not interested in the sorts of things I use my Ne to see, and so uses hers to see other stuff.

That, and the social dyslexia thing. I mean I have known dyslexic people (worked with a help group once) who were Se or Ne dominant, and used it brilliantly in all things except literacy; could be that extraverted perceiving Aspies are similar, in that they use their perceiving function just fine, in all areas except social.
    Good point. Maybe it's the same as with being a saint/douchebag. MBTI doesn't explain why people are either of those, but it will be able to explain the ways in which it manifests. Dunno, need to think more.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    The definition of hyperfocus:
    "...[A]n intense form of mental concentration or visualization that focuses consciousness on a narrow subject, or beyond objective reality and onto subjective mental planes, daydreams, concepts, fiction, the imagination, and other objects of the mind."

Not the first as much, but certainly the second and third.
    Thank you Merk.

What function is responsible for hyperfocusing? And god help anyone who tells me to read through the last few pages of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    i should've made the claim that ADD isn't necessarily Ne. instead, it's a lack of Te. yeah, that's a better claim.
    you win!
    Hmm. I'm not so sure about that. I think that there are several anti-Te traits present in ADD, but I think it actually has more to do with absent Si.

Here is how I view psychological conditions in Jungian functional format:

1. Anxiety disorders: (especially OCD): Introverted Perception (IxxJ)
    2. Autism: Si and/or Ti + Sensing--ISxJ, ISTP
    3. Asperger's Syndrome: Ni and/or Ti + intuition--INxJ, INTP
    4. ADD: Extroverted Perception (ENxP)
    5. ADHD: Extroverted Sensing (ESxP)
    6. Bi-Polar Disorder/Manic Depression: Introverted Feeling (IxFP)
    7. Paranoid Schizophrenia: Dominant Intuition (ENxP, INxJ)
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Thank you Merk.

What function is responsible for hyperfocusing? And god help anyone who tells me to read through the last few pages of this thread.
    Since Introverted Judging functions are responsible for internal focus, it would be quite clear that Fi and Ti types (IxxP) would be best at hyperfocus. Accordingly, Ti more so than Fi, so ISTP and INTP, but especially the latter.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    xNTP

Since Introverted Judging functions are responsible for internal focus, it would be quite clear that Fi and Ti types (IxxP) would be best at hyperfocus. Accordingly, Ti more so than Fi, so ISTP and INTP, but especially the latter.
    Understood. Thanks again.

MBTI
    INFJ

What about ENXJs?

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    What about ENXJs?

Jae Rae
    Ah. Well, ENFJs can easily fall in the bi-polar group. ENTJs, if anything, would have something along the line of sociopathy, sadistic personality disorder, possibly anger management issues.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Hmm. I'm not so sure about that. I think that there are several anti-Te traits present in ADD, but I think it actually has more to do with absent Si.

well i have a problem with your view of ADD then, since i'm certainly not ENxP. again, i think my heavy heavy focus on Ti (in school, i act much more like an IxTP) leads to hyperfocusing. when i'm hyperfocusing, i'm essentially only using Ti, which means i'm not listening to people or focusing on tasks or caring about what i'm "supposed" to be doing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    well i have a problem with your view of ADD then, since i'm certainly not ENxP. again, i think my heavy heavy focus on Ti (in school, i act much more like an IxTP) leads to hyperfocusing. when i'm hyperfocusing, i'm essentially only using Ti, which means i'm not listening to people or focusing on tasks or caring about what i'm "supposed" to be doing, etc.
    I never said that one with a psychiatric disorder has to be the type(s) I have listed. I am simply saying that such is the strongest correlation.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by gothamcitygirl View Post
    Hi, everyone - I hope you don't mind if I intrude? I've been lurking for a few months, but this thread got me to finally become a member so I could post.

My son is ADD and I almost certainly am, too. I believe he's an INTP (although sometimes he tests INFP) and he's always struggled with inattention to everything but what he's interested in. If he's interested in something (like science) you CANNOT tear him away from it. He has trouble in school because even though he tests as gifted (top 1% in science nationally, top 3% overall) the schools only see that he forgets his homework, loses things, etc. and they seem to take it personally. His grades suffer badly because of it.

Why do they insist on teaching to his weaknesses, like organization, instead of his strengths? Someone once said madness is defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, but the teachers never change their strategies so that they can effectively teach him. (And they say HE needs drugs??)

Anyway, forgive my little rambling rant. I really wanted to say to you, Wildcat, that your description of life as ADD is exactly right. And I'm really sorry that you had such a hard time with school, too. I'm watching my son go through it and I know how awful it can be.
    I am sorry your child had to go through all this.

The teachers seem to be just as bad as they were in my day. It is a sad spectacle.

Welcome to the forum.