• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lets handle our blind spots

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I feel this is an important topic, so I'm introducing a format for handling this.

We all have blind spots, and we're sometimes agitated, frustrated or just depressed for having them incapacitate us. We have a clue there are such things. We have a guess of what it might be. We guess how they might affect us, but we don't know for sure.

In this thread, I'll have everyone wishing outsider help to expose what they think of their blind spots, with a specific format: I wish that each person is discussed for a maximum of 10 posts, by any person. A particular type of blind spot may be discussed for more time, but I'd ask everyone to give attention to different people and their circumstances, and try to give a quicker decision to each person's situation (hoping for a satisfying answer, even if it's just a partial answer). This applies to both the person with the blind spot, and the advisor(s).

I'm hoping this will help as many people as possible without concentrating too much on any one person. This kind of format can't change anyone's life long patterns in a moment, but it can point to a new direction.

Questions?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think it's a cool thread idea too...and i'm pretty sure i'm aware of my blind spots now...although i don't always remember to check it when i should...but i'll share any perceptions i might have sure.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is interesting. I am informing you that I will be watching this.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Will I have to be the one starting with my own blind spots?

My threads seem to die out fastest when I start with discussion about myself.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Will I have to be the one starting with my own blind spots?

My threads seem to die out fastest when I start with discussion about myself.

Only crazy people talk to themselves. *looks around suspiciously*

So, we are talking about ourselves, other people, what? What is your definition of blind spot?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
we don't need to discuss mine...i think i'm aware of them...but we can if ya want....just thought it might be better to do someone who wasn't sure. :D

i'll listen to yours though if ya feel like talkin about them :D

Jaguar

I don't have any blind spots, but since I am a Jaguar I have plenty of visible spots.
Does that count?

:happy:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Blind spot is a phenomenom from our ability to notice and evaluate things. Not all measurement tools are very specific to all kinds of occurences.

We try to notice the most important things. Hence, we quickly dismiss the unimportant.

Dismissing the unimportant too long adjusts our perception, our thought and our decisions. We enforce the notion of the unimportant being unimportant, because we don't develop our skill to notice it. This becomes our blind spot.

A blind spot might develop from something that hurts us, too.
"I'm not listening to any advice that says I have problem X."
"I think I have the attribute X. People who say X is bad are so different from me, I just know I should'nt listen to them."

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
You have 155 threads and roughly 1,600 posts. That's about 10 posts per thread. Afraid you might be blindsided?:)

ok. hit me with your median shot. not your best

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Introducing blind spot, Case Santtu.

Ok. I'll tell where I'm seeking a blind spot of mine. I'll write my case with many words, but I'll write much more concise to discuss it.

I'm quite motivated by reward. Still, I was very lazy in my childhood, but I managed to concentrate for the necessary time for mostly anything I needed to concentrate for. So I managed my life without being too organized. I managed most my life being essentially P.

I had troubles, and I had to organize. I noticed I had talent for it - but, I had talent for being spontaneous, I had talent for being organized. My organization was more directed to my understanding of some system, not as much to administrating it. I have been an utterly terrible adminstrator of anything for most of my life, until now.

Given all this information, I present this problem: I've long ago decided to go for a rewarding job, which I'm well capable of, talent-wise. Ok. 2 years ago. I've drawn countless plans, pictures and such showing that I'd better start working. I do work, I'm trusted upon, I can work. I do work. Sometimes I'm suspected as a workaholic. Some think I'm a hedonist.

I don't think I find satisfaction with the amount of progress and the amount free time I have available for me.

At the end of the day, I satisfy for less that I'd be capable of having. I don't do the work I intended to, not even the work I was looking forward to do.

I'm striving to be an engineer, it consultant (been that), system administrator (been that), top salesman (been that), but somehow I often act as if it didn't mean a damn, although when I dream of it, it sometimes feels good.

What's my blind spot?

And hell, I don't know what it is. I just guess there's a blind spot involved. What do you want to ask of me?

Edit: Btw. I had some satisfaction in those jobs, but I didn't work hard enough to keep them. I hate if my company forces me to work too hard. I've looked for greener grass on the other side.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Your blindspot could be trying to live up to expectations that you put on yourself which were above and beyond the expectations of your occupations. Yet, they didn't fulfill what was expected in your occupations. You could very well be a p-ster.

Ever thought about hangin sheetrock? i'll bet some consultants, administrators and top salesmen couldn't last in something like that. Not because they don't try to liveup to expectations they have for themselves, but because they my not live up to expectations of the sheetrock hanging occupation.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Do you mean that I expect more of myself than I expect of my occupations, and the problem isn't my choice of occupation at all?

What about sheetrock? Do you mean I would underperform in an occupation I didn't really value, even if I had thought it would be good for me?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmmm...your blind spot could be not clearly knowing your goals...or what would bring you satisfaction...you go after something you think fits but once in it relaize there are certain parts of it that you can't get motivated enough to do as well as you know you could if wanted to...

or is that completely obvious...maybe i'll reread it...maybe i'm just reiterating what you wrote.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think my blind spot is related to my inability to accept the hard work I have to do in a given field, and that ability and general talent isn't enough.

Whatever I'd plan to do for a long time would really have to touch my desires, because that makes the most long term effect.

I think I'm more an adventurer at heat, more bourgeoise than I've accepted, more boheme than I've accepted, having grown up with strong engineer influences in my family. I'm tearing myself to every direction.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right...i'm the same way...i can do hard work all day and give it my all IF it's something i'm passionate about...but it's hard to find a career that you can feel passionate about every aspect....is that what you're saying?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I seek too much significance, when there is none.

But, I'm being too linear.

I'll close my case in a few moments. I'm not sure what to think of now.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Goodstain, did you mean that I'm placing myself below the ideals of my dream jobs, which is why I feel "failing" at them? I had trouble understanding you, perhaps because you talked about something that might be my blind spot. Can't tell.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
no. You were possibly placing yourself too far above your dream jobs. IMO. Ask yourself, were all those occupations that you've delved in, really dream jobs? If not, and only if not, what are a couple of dream jobs you would consider at this moment, having experienced those others?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Couple of dream jobs? Without going to specifics..

Something with lot of free time and sudden alerts to do some thing.
Something where I can be alone for quite some time, arrange my time relatively freely, and people come to me to ask solutions for their problems - but they come humbly, not arrogantly. I'll help them nicely with my skills and know-how. I'll dive in and put all my skills, all my person to giving them solution.
Something where I don't press extremely hard. No ISTJ style for me. I'll rather have time for life, friends and hobbies. I don't need that much money.

Problem solved. I was being led astray by vanity and desire to show off.

I *DO* enjoy the intellectual component in difficult jobs. I should never approach them from the point of view of money, though, because it's not my top motivator. It's more like lack of money is a learned shame for me. Good jobs are good for me, even some jobs where I work hard.

But, lesson learned: I've thought too much what I seem like to others, even though I thought I was immune to such considerations. Problem solved.

That was my blind spot.

THat's the 10th post about me too, the maximum allowed. Rest of the thinking I have to do alone. Thanks for this help. (Even if I were wrong about this finding).