User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Mind maps

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Mind maps

This is a second time I'm using them on a consistent basis. I think they are speeding up the discovery of my life's important topics tremendously. I can't force it too much though - I can't spend my all time writing mind maps and expect to advance my life just as much. It's more of a tool to arrange life, thoughts, and speed up the important points, ideas, moods about it.

In short, I must live life to make a new mind map.

But, it's an invaluable tool. Whaddya think of it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    This is a second time I'm using them on a consistent basis. I think they are speeding up the discovery of my life's important topics tremendously. I can't force it too much though - I can't spend my all time writing mind maps and expect to advance my life just as much. It's more of a tool to arrange life, thoughts, and speed up the important points, ideas, moods about it.

In short, I must live life to make a new mind map.

But, it's an invaluable tool. Whaddya think of it?
    I had to look this up to find out just what in the hell is a mind map, but when I found it and read up on it, I realized that it seems as if it could be a fantastic brainstorming/inspiration tool.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    I had to look this up to find out just what in the hell is a mind map, but when I found it and read up on it, I realized that it seems as if it could be a fantastic brainstorming/inspiration tool.
    Mind map

Thank you guys for explaining what this is. I have never heard of one before.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Right up my alley, Santtu.
    Great for creative thinking.

Thanks for reminding me about them.

MBTI
    INTj

I read a couple of books on the subject many years ago. I don't know what to say other than it helped me out a lot with my studies, tests, etc.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ENTJ

So in short, mind map starts with a certain idea you're thinking about. You write in in the center. You want to solve it, you want to organize it, gain insight about it, or just be inspirated about it. Goals are free.

So you go by your own processes, and add what you think are relevant points to it. Some things you associate with it. There can be many things you associate with a given subject. One thought leads to another, etc.

In the end, the whole construction is like a tree that branches in every direction from the centre.

The method incidentally emulates the way our neurons arrange information. The strongest associations are connected and close to each other. Other strong associations are close to each other, but perhaps not connected. Writing a mind map reveals oneself facts about values, associations and priorities. Or, so I feel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

Did you apply it to arrange something external only, like study subjects, or did you even write a mind map of your personal thoughts and strategies as well?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i gradually learned to do something like this. i just majorly revised my 80 page thesis. i had these for each topic heading. i also made one of these yesterday when i was reading a 32 page thread. it helps me see connections in a concrete way, so that i can zoom in and out with a more overarching topology. i also remember experimentin with these when i was studying complex systems theory and topological models for social organization/formations.

i need to check this out and improve my ability to recognize my own cognitive process and improve it.

yesterday i decided i wanted to buy a scanner to improve my ability to store these visual representations of my understandings within various topics.

MBTI
    INTP

Can anyone recommend a good non-gimmicky book on this subject?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Isn't this basically the same idea behind doing an outline, only in a different format?

It seems like the circle in the center is like the heading or title of the outline, and the branches would be the subtopics and sub-subtopics.

Or does it just seem like this to me because I'm an NJ rather than an NP?