• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and eating disorders

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Eating disorders and mbti

I wonder if some types or function preferences are correlated to eating disorders.

In some other thread I read a suggestion that obsessing would be linked to Judging. I've usually thought of eating disorders as obsessions. So, could it be more of a J thing?

Or an Fe thing-- wanting to please and live up to expectations?

Or a Te thing-- calculating calories, wanting to "earn points" (lose weight)?

Is there some type that is very unlikely to suffer from an eating disorder?

Landy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hi,

Has anyone come across any articles or research on type and the incidence or treatment of eating disorders? I've tried a fair bit of searching on this topic without success. I'm wondering if eating disorders may be more or less prevalent in different types, and if a deeper understanding of type and preferences might be a helpful tool in providing support to those affected.

Many thanks in anticipation of any information.

Landy

ygolo

My termites win
For me thinking and eating have similar feelings associated with them.

If I haven't learned something profound in a long while, I feel "hungry".

If I spend too much time analyzing logic that is not sound, or based on ridiculous assumptions, I get the same feeling I get when I eat too much sugary stuff.

If I am absorbed in something, I ignore my hunger, and can go without eating for the whole day.

I also, often have to pace to think more clearly. I suppose my thinking has a strong kinesthetic component.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd love to see some relationship, too. We INTJs tend to be fairly thin as a rule, but sometimes we're slightly overweight, while we never really allow ourselves to get too disgusting.

I always want to help people that insist they wish to lose weight, too, but I don't even know where to start in supporting their efforts without looking totally heartless.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Roughly speaking, across all disorders, it will trend towards Fs... lightly. The main sources are from depression, however, and neuroticism is one of the main key factors in depression, anxiety and body image problems.

In short, no, there won't be a strong connection between type and eating disorders; there may be a connection between type and diet.

Usehername

On a mission
my only friend that was hospitalized for an eating disorder was an INTJ. i have never had to experience that personally, but i have characteristics that i could theoretically see it happening to myself if i was emotionally not in the best place etc.
i'm nowhere near close to an eating disorder, but let's be honest, i'm 117 lbs and 5'7" right now; i am pretty skinny and have a healthy mindset to go along with it so there's zero pressure to lose weight. (oh yes, and i'm an INTJ too)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I figured that depressed INxJs would be the most at risk for eating disorders. Under stress, they'll engage in their inferior Se, where they will either indulge excessively or become anorexic due to concern for their appearance.

Usehername

On a mission
I figured that depressed INxJs would be the most at risk for eating disorders. Under stress, they'll engage in their inferior Se, where they will either indulge excessively or become anorexic due to concern for their appearance.

yes. this is totally what i was poorly attempting to communicate with "but i have characteristics that i could theoretically see it happening to myself if i was emotionally not in the best place etc."

she was depressed for a few months before she started to diet excessively.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I started a thread about this on another forum. I've been wondering about this as well.

I've had an eating disorder for a couple years, though I'm fully recovered now.

Bump.

DonCoryon

MBTI Type
INTP
Perhaps eating disorders do not have be coupled with the same function(s) or function combinations. Perhaps some types favor one eating disorder over another.

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
I don't know about a disorder, but I do tend to skip meals if I'm too lazy to make effort in attempt to eating. (Too lazy to make something, too lazy to go out and get something already made). .....My laziness outweighs my stomach sometimes.:huh:

iris.moon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
I don't know about a disorder, but I do tend to skip meals if I'm too lazy to make effort in attempt to eating. (Too lazy to make something, too lazy to go out and get something already made). .....My laziness outweighs my stomach sometimes.:huh:

Me too. I also forget about eating when I'm doing something interesting. But then I'm hungry, so I end up eating the first food I see.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
mmm... no, I think that it could happen to anyone- thoughts while in this mode might be different for each type but it seems like there are just too many other factors that would come into play- type could influence but be overall insignificant in the grand scheme.

DonCoryon

MBTI Type
INTP
Me too. I also forget about eating when I'm doing something interesting. But then I'm hungry, so I end up eating the first food I see.

I also eat less when I am working on a project. However, I wouldn't call it an eating disorder. I prefer to think of it as balancing, since I can afford to miss a few meals every now and then.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My favorite eating disorders are binging & fasting-- anorexia is bullshit, bulimia sucks, detox diets make me wan to slap people, & obese people are less than people. I don't eat by a schedule, sometimes I have loads of hamburgers, other times I don't have anything, because I don't feel like it. & I can't afford it.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2

Me, yesterday. Went all day just eating enough to get by. Hung out w some people that were busy otherwise and couldn't eat. I did get around to eating JitB. I know, not the healthiest choice but I had to walk home and didn't want to be starving and miserable.