123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Default being a HSP, living with non-HSPs

I can't take the level of noise that these people think is necessary. I don't know of a diplomatic way to get my roommates to not blare the tv when they watch it, and not watch it all the god damn time. It makes me angry, and I think its justified. But the problem: They have a big screen.

Even it works out, I think I'll still have to leave a lot.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I don't meant to be blunt, but tell them to turn it the fuck down. I live with people like this too. You know what I do? First I tell them to turn it down, and if they don't I go into there room and turn it down for them.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    I can't take the level of noise that these people think is necessary. I don't know of a diplomatic way to get my roommates to not blare the tv when they watch it, and not watch it all the god damn time. It makes me angry, and I think its justified. But the problem: They have a big screen.

I use earplugs.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I understand what you mean, Run. I'm an HSP too, and on top of that, my nervous system is strung out due to a genetic condition. I have extremely sensitive hearing (I once tracked a very low scratching noise through the house to a grocery bag in the kitchen where a beetle had fallen in and was scraping a foreleg against the paper) and am acutely attuned to motion and smell.

When I'm in pain (which I am most every day), loud/repetitive noises or other strong stimuli can jack the pain right through the roof. Earplugs are a great idea, but also, do tell them to keep it down. They aren't the only ones living there, and if they want LOUD that badly, they can headphone it.

heart on fire

Yes, I live with a TV-aoholic. If he's home, the TV is on. I put music headphones on to drown it out. My mother was the same way.

Please come and answer my TV poll.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum.../19980-tv.html

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

My dad is hard of hearing so he turns the TV volume way up. Fortunately, he is not a TV-a-holic. It is very uncomfortable for me. Then he tries talking to me over that racket. Of course, I don't understand him and he gives me the evil eye.
    He also likes to throw things in the sink, which makes a huge noise. When I tell him to cut it out, he says that it doesn't bother my ears (as if he is wearing my ears).
    I have actually been diagnosed with central auditory processing disorder and hyperacusis by an audiologist but many people around me seem to think that these conditions go away as soon as they become inconvenient for them.
    I'm, of course, also an HSP.
    Have any of you noticed that people think that your HSP-hood will vanish magically as soon as it becomes inconvenient for them??
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    hyperacusis by an audiologist but many people around me seem to think that these conditions go away as soon as they become inconvenient for them...
    Yes, I was dx with this too.

A lot of hsp symptoms are like the side symptoms that a person with a vestibular disorder gets.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I *have* noticed that, Tourist. It just makes things worse too. So sorry about your condition!

My INTJ bff was really great about my sensitivities (he's a bit cat-like himself), and would steer us away from things he knew would physically torment me. He "got" it, even when I was having to battle family members about it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Have any of you noticed that people think that your HSP-hood will vanish magically as soon as it becomes inconvenient for them??
    Yeah, its that plus the need to blare the fucking tv. Would you shout your conversation to somebody? Plus, I don't want to hear a commercial for Lysol disinfectant. Do ya mind?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Yeah, its that plus the need to blare the fucking tv. Would you shout your conversation to somebody? Plus, I don't want to hear a commercial for Lysol disinfectant. Do ya mind?
    Sometimes I tape shows so I can fast-forward through all the ads, especially the really revolting/annoying ones.