User Tag List

First 23456 Last

heart on fire

^ There's a lot of people who keep the TV on who do it because when it is not on, they feel disconnected with the outside world and they become anxious.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    That's being a bit Judgmental, Heart. We can't assume that he is a tv addict, we can't assume he will act this way, and we can't even assume that so-called tv addicts do this in general. Maybe some?
    I was talking about my own experience with TV addicts. I don't know what his friend is, but if he is a TV addict, talking or reasoning with him won't help.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

You have more control over this than you think. They shouldn't victimize you. You shouldn't feel like a victim, because you have control. It's simple and right that you should confromt them. But I understand how it isn't as easy as one might put it out to be.
    Control? That's the problem. I don't have control. If I went up to my roommates room and banged on a tin pan, he would request me to stop. I could run away with the tin pan, I could knock him out with it, etc. Ultimately, it's a request because its not certain that the banging will stop. They may see tv as nothing, and I see it as banging a tin pan. So a command would not work. Although, you're right. I have a right to silence whether I can communicate it or not. But there's also that point of no return -- If I'm too aggressive, I think they will get pissed and then they really won't listen. Maybe. I don't know.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I was talking about my own experience with TV addicts. I don't know what his friend is, but if he is a TV addict, talking or reasoning with him won't help.
    In my opinion, somebody who is a tv addict doesn't always have that approach about them.

And it doesn't matter if he is a tv addict, just ask him to turn the volume down. Be honest with him and tell him that it bothers you. Let him watch the tv all he wants, that's his deal, as long as he doesn't blaire it.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    Control? That's the problem. I don't have control. If I went up to my roommates room and banged on a tin pan, he would request me to stop. I could run away with the tin pan, I could knock him out with it, etc. Ultimately, it's a request because its not certain that the banging will stop. They probably may it as nothing, and I see it as banging a tin pan. So a command would not work. Although, you're right. I have a right to silence whether I can communicate it or not. But there's also that point of no return -- If I'm too aggressive, I think they will get pissed and then they really won't listen. Maybe. I don't know.

I know what you mean. I am being completelt ideal here. I probably would be doing the same thing as you, as I wouldn't have the guts to actually do what I'm saying unless I was extremely serious about it, it's just the right thing to do in my opinion.

But what do you have to lose if you aren't aggressive? Give it a go, be gentle. You won't know until you try it out.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

heart on fire

But there's also that point of no return -- If I'm too aggressive, I think they will get pissed and then they really won't listen. Maybe. I don't know.
    Well, don't be aggressive, but do be assertive.

Just make all your comments directed towards yourself, "I can't concentrate with the TV at this volume" etc.

Make it about you're sensitivity and not about their inconsideration and maybe they won't get defensive. If they are reasonable people, this will work. If they are incapable of reason in this area it just won't matter how you approach them.

Assert it as often as it takes, don't be shy to reassert. If it doesn't work at all, you can come here and vent about it.

In my opinion, somebody who is a tv addict doesn't always have that approach about them.

And it doesn't matter if he is a tv addict, just ask him to turn the volume down. Be honest with him and tell him that it bothers you. Let him watch the tv all he wants, that's his deal, as long as he doesn't blaire it.

You keep missing my point. In my experience with TV addicts, the volume in the room seems to be part of the appeal of the TV. They do seem to get very defensive when asked to turn the volume down, there seems to be something comforting to them about having the volume loud and general resistance to wearing earphones. There's like something about the TV being almost human, like a person who is constantly jabbering in the background and if they wore headphones this would take away from that illusion. jmo.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I have extremely sensitive hearing (I once tracked a very low scratching noise through the house to a grocery bag in the kitchen where a beetle had fallen in and was scraping a foreleg against the paper) and am acutely attuned to motion and smell.
    WOW! Me too! Seriously, but I never thought of these things as HSP. Probably because I didn't know what it was. I cannot bear to concentrate when on-going senseless noises are about, such as, radio frequency interference (RFI) (sounds like ghost radio, with whining, usually from cheap electronic devices).

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    ...loud/repetitive noises or other strong stimuli can jack the pain right through the roof.
    I am this way when I have either a sinus or migraine headache. I have been getting sinus headaches alot since the thunderstorm season here in Florida has kicked in.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post

I am this way when I have either a sinus or migraine headache. I have been getting sinus headaches alot since the thunderstorm season here in Florida has kicked in.
    The source of much pain.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    WOW! Me too! Seriously, but I never thought of these things as HSP.
    Well I don't think acute sensing (such as hearing) and HSP are the same.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    Well I don't think acute sensing (such as hearing) and HSP are the same.
    If my acute senses bug the shit out of me and make me want to destroy things in my immediate vicinity with chronic regularity, does that change things?

Not that I need ANOTHER diagnosis...