• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Confused About Your Type?

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Are you confused about your MBTI type?

Well, if you're relatively new to MBTI, then that's pretty reasonable.

But if you've been into MBTI for a long time and are still confused, it may be a simple matter of considering your sources.

From my observations, people struggle with their MBTI type because they rely on unreliable sources for information on MBTI.

To me, if it isn't written by Isabel Briggs Meyers, or if it significantly contradicts Meyers then it is highly suspect information.

I'm not saying that Meyers is a holy figure or that her writings are infallible---but she invented the MBTI, so if it doesn't agree with her, it may be valid, but it simply isn't MBTI---it's something else.

If you don't rely on stereotypes, and don't put much stock in what people say about MBTI---you will not be so confused.

Read the literature for yourself, and you will have a clearer understanding of your type.

In my opinion, the best sources are "Gifts Differing" by Isabel Briggs Meyers, "Personality Type: An Owner's Manual" by Lenore Thompson, and the very simple and accessible "What Type Am I?" by Renee Baron.

I also find Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type to be very helpful when you are torn between types.

I sincerely hope this helps. :)

And anyone who disagrees with me on this is more than welcome to say so, but don't expect a response.

I will only respond to points I consider worthwhile.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I haven't been comfortable with the INTP description. But it was the one that I got the most on tests that I took so I kept it. After reading the best fit type description of the INFP, I feel like that fits me to a "T". Everything is spot on.

Now I just wonder why I didn't notice it before.:doh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What to do, if you are confused about your type but think at the same time that mbti is bullshit ? Have another glass of Scotch ?

Snow Turtle

You have discussed this before with others on Ventrillo but something doesn't feel right. I'm not really fond of MBTI's idea that function ordering is fixed and I still hold my doubts about tertiary function and the likes, considering that on this website there appears to be individuals here who are extremely proficient in it's use in comparison to others who haven't adopted it at all. Besides aren't there like multiple theories on the whole ordering?

I'm uncertain but it appears that Jung didn't really bother with the I/E, N/S and T/F. I know he definitely didn't come up with the J/P. But really it's so much easier to look towards his ideas that referring to her, considering he is the root of her theory. But perhaps we already agree on this issue. I don't know though about other people being an unreliable source of information though, isn't the whole best fit website based on individuals writing about how they perceive themselves to be? Rather than having someone else write it for them based on theoretical ideas that aren't neccessary decent reflections because they don't have all the information.

Where does all the websites descriptions come from? I would have assumed it is extracted from MBTI-esque sources.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
I'm happy I keep thinking about my type. It's pointing ever more strongly to INTP. But what's the matter about being 'confused' about it? Btw, did you read in Lenore Thomson how extraverts want to know if the types are accurate? Maybe it's your motive to want to have accurate descriptions. To me it is worthwhile if thoughts keep evolving. There's so much more to your type than the four letters. E.g. now I am discovering a shadow INTJ type in my personality, in experience and in theory. It is also remarkable that as an E you are pressing for security and a confined point of reference, while Kai as a J leaves more room open for different perspectives. Btw, I agree Thomson's book is a very good reference (it has good test questions e.g.).

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Btw, did you read in Lenore Thomson how extraverts want to know if the types are accurate?

Yes. I do want to know if the types are accurate.

Maybe it's your motive to want to have accurate descriptions.

No. I don't necessarily want them to be accurate.

There is a HUGE difference between trying to find out if something is accurate, and insisting on something being accurate.

Like an investigative journalist, I may start with a theory, an opinion or a suspicion, but I'm more interested in what I can find out or uncover, rather than trying to prove that my initial opinion was accurate.

I'm Ne dominant.

I'm interested in possibilities, not dogma.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People tend to over analyze things way too much, and take most of the profiles too literally. I've seen people make ridiculous changes of type on here- ISFJ->ISTP for example, just because ONE line of the ISTP profile, and that was something that was emphasized about their romance style.

ALL that you have to do is look at the function order and apply it to your life... it's pretty simple. When I was looking at it there were definite "no"s about what I used in my daily life, such as Ti and Fe.

Lots of people who are confused about types just basically have no idea about what the functions are or what they do and haven't read any literature I'll bet, and if they have then I don't see the issue.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
^^^ Function order doesn't neatly fit in MBTI, in my opinion.

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
I have to very respectfully disagree! But first let me say that I LOVE Isabel Meyers and I'm much more comfortable with her approach to type than David Keirsey's. Maybe it's a type thing: different types respond better to different forms of typing. Anyway, here's why I disagree: using Meyers-style tests and descriptions, I typed myself as an SJ for years, although I knew it just didn't fit. So I fudged my type as SP (ISTP) because SP's tend to like a lot of freedom and don't like to be tied down. Anybody who knows me and knows type could spot me a mile away as a J, so typing myself as an SP was insane, but based on the descriptions of S's and N's, there was no way I could be an N -- dreamers, head in the clouds, romantic, not practical. I'm the most practical, down-to-earth person I know (at least that's what I think -- other people might disagree!) It wasn't until I read Keirsey's definition of an Intuitive -- someone who prefers abstract language to concrete, that it all began to make sense. From there it was easy to narrow it down based on his descriptions, which are absolutely spot on. I would say Keirsey's weakest point is T-F, and although I love the NF/NT divide, I also have a lot of trouble with it, as I think do many others as well. It's the sort of romantic/classic, arts/sciences, girl/boy sort of thing that seems to make sense on the surface but never survives a deeper examination. I guess I'd have to say that Keirsey ultimately works for me because he explained all the things I'd always hated about myself and always tried to "correct" but he explains them in a way that makes them seem like assets. And his description of NF's as always in the process of becoming is hilarious -- true, but his NT qualities and his befuddlement over the whole thing are just wonderful! Anyway, if you have trouble with type, give Keirsey's descriptions a try and see if it helps.