123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Don't Abuse the JUNG!

"It is not the purpose of a psychological typology to classify human beings into categories - this in itself would be pretty pointless." ---Carl Jung

Believe it or not, there are actually some who interpret this quote to mean that Carl Jung was AGAINST using typology to classify people.

Of course, its simply ridiculous that one of the most famous contributors in the history of typology would be against the use of typology, but there seems to be a strange movement, even among some TypeC members, to actually discredit typology, while lacking even the most basic understanding of the theory (and basic reading comprehension, for that matter). :steam:

Look.......

The problem here is twofold:

1. There is a very important phrase within the quote, which is somehow being overlooked.

and

2. The quote has been taken entirely out of its proper context.

POINT 1.

Jung said: "It is not the purpose of a psychological typology to classify human beings into categories - this in itself would be pretty pointless."

In other words, He's saying that classifying people according to type is not an end in itself, implying that it is a means to an end.

This becomes even clearer when you look at the quote in its entire context.

POINT 2.

Here is the quote within its proper context:

"It is not the purpose of a psychological typology to classify human beings into categories - this in itself would be pretty pointless. Its purpose is rather to provide a critical psychology which will make a methodical investigation and presentation of the empirical material possible.
    First and foremost, it is a critical tool for the research worker, who needs definite points of view and guidelines if he is to reduce the chaotic profusion of individual experiences to any kind of order.
    Secondly, a typology is a great help in understanding the wide variations that occur among individuals, and it also furnishes a clue to the fundamental differences in the psychological theories now current.
    Last but not least, it is an essential means for determining the "personal equation" of the practising psychologist, who, armed with an exact knowledge of his differentiated and inferior functions, can avoid many serious blunders in dealing with his patients."

Jung mentions some of the many benefits of typology here, and is CLEARLY promoting it, rather than denouncing it.

In conclusion, I find it amazing how people who bristle at the idea of classifying people by type can spend so much time on a forum called "Typology Central"---but, then again--- "it takes all kinds", I guess.

Just STOP ABUSING the JUNG!

PLEASE!

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

I don't think anyone is "bristling" at the thought of classifying people based on their mbti type I think that some people (myself included) find it ridiculous that so many people base so much on a person's type. People come on forums like these to find out more about themselves not to be pushed into a little box. That's just how I view this forum maybe there are people who like being put into little boxes...to each his/her own? =)
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Hey---if you're not one of those people, then it's not directed at you.

They know who they are.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Umm... there is one thing I'm curious about. Why do you have to phrase and format your posts that way? It doesn't make any sense to me to say things that way. It's kind of distracting and "off" somehow.

It would have sufficed to do this:

The quote "It is not the purpose of a psychological typology to classify human beings into categories - this in itself would be pretty pointless." has been used to imply that Jung didn't approve of the use of personality typology to classify individuals.

I maintain that it is incorrect to infer that, because he believed this was pointless in itself, that he believed it pointless altogether. I believe my position is supported by the larger context from which the quote was culled, which I'll provide here:
    "It is not the purpose of a psychological typology to classify human beings into categories - this in itself would be pretty pointless. Its purpose is rather to provide a critical psychology which will make a methodical investigation and presentation of the empirical material possible.
    First and foremost, it is a critical tool for the research worker, who needs definite points of view and guidelines if he is to reduce the chaotic profusion of individual experiences to any kind of order.
    Secondly, a typology is a great help in understanding the wide variations that occur among individuals, and it also furnishes a clue to the fundamental differences in the psychological theories now current.
    Last but not least, it is an essential means for determining the "personal equation" of the practising psychologist, who, armed with an exact knowledge of his differentiated and inferior functions, can avoid many serious blunders in dealing with his patients."
    Given the additional information in the above paragraph, I claim that the assertion that Jung did not support typology is a result of a misunderstanding of this quote and it's surrounding context at best, and evidence of an individual's desire to twist Jung's words to serve their own anti-typology agenda at worst.

I mean, doesn't that look better to you?

Oh, and by the way... I agree with you.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Umm... there is one thing I'm curious about. Why do you have to phrase and format your posts that way? It doesn't make any sense to me to say things that way.

It would have sufficed to do this:

The quote "It is not the purpose of a psychological typology to classify human beings into categories - this in itself would be pretty pointless." has been used to imply that Jung didn't approve of the use of personality typology to classify individuals.

I maintain that it is incorrect to infer that, because he believed this was pointless in itself, that he believed it pointless altogether. I believe my position is supported by the larger context from which the quote was culled, which I'll provide here:

Given the additional information in the above paragraph, I claim that the belief that Jung did not support typology is a result of a misunderstanding of this quote and it's surrounding context at best, and evidence of an individual's desire to twist Jung's words to serve their own anti-typology agenda at worst.

I mean, doesn't that look better to you?

Oh, and by the way... I agree with you.

Well, I suppose your way is more concise---but it isn't my way.

So, no---I don't think yours looks better.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Well, I suppose your way is more concise---but it isn't my way.
    Okay, fair enough. The odd formating and exaggerated, extended reaction are a form of self-expression. Got it.
    So, no---I don't think yours looks better.
    Really? Why not? I'm curious.

Oh, and... LOL @ "Abuse the Jung." "Jung" sounds like "Young."

Your title was great.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Okay, fair enough. The odd formating and exaggerated, extended reaction are a form of self-expression. Got it.
    Yes. Exactly. I'm an ENFP. I like to personalize it.

Really? Why not? I'm curious.
    Because.....um.......I prefer my style over yours.

Surely, you don't think your way is objectively superior to mine, do you?

Oh, and... LOL @ "Abuse the Jung." "Jung" sounds like "Young."

Your title was great.
    Thanks.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Because.....um.......I prefer my style over yours.

Surely, you don't think your way is objectively superior to mine, do you?
    Nope, I suppose not. I was just wondering if you found anything lacking in my style. But apparently you just meant that your style is better for you personally. Which I agree with.

Thanks.
    You're welcome.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Nope, I suppose not. I was just wondering if you found anything lacking in my style. But apparently you just meant that your style is better for you personally. Which I agree with.
    I admire the fact that you communicate very efficiently.

In fact, I'll be taking a Journalism class pretty soon, and making an attempt to learn that very skill.

It looks like its gonna be harder than I thought, but all I can do is try.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

Last but not least, it is an essential means for determining the "personal equation" of the practising psychologist, who, armed with an exact knowledge of his differentiated and inferior functions, can avoid many serious blunders in dealing with his patients.
    This has been the most beneficial thing I've found from typology. We all have blind spots. The cool thing is if you know your blind spot you check it.

p.s. ENFP presentation is awesome. When are you staring journalism? I wanted to know a bit about what it is like for ENFPs. I'm thinking of starting that or writing/communications next year.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.