User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Well Albert Einstein was the main contributor to the atomic bomb but he was against using it!

But I agree I don't think that Jung was against using typology esp since in lots of his writings he used type explicility to explain behaviour etc all be it he did it in the form of archetypes! I did get a sense however, that he believed that people could evolve between types; any thoughts on this! Does type change during our lifetimes?
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I agree whole-heartily.

And Athenian, who cares how he phrased it? That's such a little pin prick of a complaint that it is almost funny that you would first result to telling him that it 'looks wrong'. LOL, Super J.

But back to reality, I think we take Typology too far. We think it divides us like the languages we speak. All of the same type must think the same, must be interested in the same things, and when we aren't identical to everybody of our own type, we question our type.

There's more space than that! It's not a 16 box structure, I don't even think you can picture such an abstraction. And Typology doesn't delve as deep into our psyches as we give it credit to. It's all preference. Some people can see it, but some people are look at Typology as some sort of wall built around our personalities.

Good Thread, Wonka!
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Yes, but did he intend it to be used in the amateur way it is around here? It is hard enough for people to type themselves accurately, let alone the poeple that think they know everyone's type off of first impression.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    It's all preference. Some people can see it, but some people are look at Typology as some sort of wall built around our personalities.
    Interesting because I have noticed that when you type people you like to put limits on type "____ type couldn't possibly do that" or "only ___ type could do that", that is building walls to me.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Everybody who isn't knowledgable enough is abusing it, and 99% of forums doesn't have enough knowledge on subyect.. so it can't be avoided. It's the nature of this forum - bunch of laics trying to get mbti.
    But I generaly agree with OP.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I think Jung would have disagreed with the stereotypes that are used in judgements of other based on perception of type. I agree with him that it can be a useful tool for a psychologist. However, I know of no one here who uses it in that capacity. More often it is used in support of ego-centric pursuits disguised as knowledge.

There is a fundamental difference in using type as a means to further one's understanding of the mind or psychology of another, and using it in the way it is here.

One can use a wrench as a hammer, with acceptable results, but it's still better utilized as the tool is was intended to be.

ThatGirl

Oh Jung again......

Always playing the victim.

I always got the impression that Jung viewed it as a good starting point, a way to begin and organize all of the data. The "beginning" of a theory, if you will. He never seemed to have an absolute certainty of its accuracy, as a zealot would.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I always got the impression that Jung viewed it as a good starting point, a way to begin and organize all of the data. The "beginning" of a theory, if you will. He never seemed to have an absolute certainty of its accuracy, as a zealot would.
    Bingo.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Burn the non-believers!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Yeah, but if you read the quote, its obvious that Jung was completely convinced of its usefulness.

He didn't take the stance that many take in TypeC, which is basically "Yeah, typology is interesting, but in the end it really doesn't mean a whole lot."

People are so afraid of being seen as a zealot, that they feel they have to play down their enthusiasm for typology.

Then, as a result of so many people doing that, anyone who is openly enthusiastic about it seems like a zealot by comparison.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!