User Tag List

First 12345 Last

For an SP at least Gary Klein hit it right on the head with his definition of intuition.

What's Your Intuition?

After many more interviews with veteran firefighters, Klein developed a radically different understanding of how intuition might work. Over time, as firefighters accumulate a storehouse of experiences, they subconsciously categorize fires according to how they should react to them. They create one mental catalog for fires that call for a search and rescue and another one for fires that require an interior attack. Then they race through their memories in a hyperdrive search to find a prototypical fire that resembles the fire that they are confronting. As soon as they recognize the right match, they swing into action.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Yep. Intuition means you just do that naturally, subconsciously. Ne means you're constantly looking for patterns. Ni means you're constantly developing patterns.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    My logical side, says it is just a thought. There is no proof or bearing to support intuition except in hindsight. In which most things can be explained.

I don't believe in gut feelings, or things without some sort of reason behind it.

If I do have intuition, I ignore it on the fact that there is nothing to support its validity.

Am I an S?
    Gut feeling has more to do with instincts (S) and FEELING (F). Not trusting it makes you NT. You're asking the wrong questions.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Intuition is associated with right-brain thinking, which deals with the quick and seemingly instant processing of information.

So perhaps "intuition" can be reduced to simply "thinking really fast".

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So perhaps "intuition" can be reduced to simply "thinking really fast".
    so fast that you yourself miss the rationality behind it? cuz 'thinking' is mostly sequential. and for something sequential, you can usually spot a pattern or logic...no such thing for the N...far as i can see

intuition, in the real world, is probably the brainchild of subconscious perception

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    so fast that you yourself miss the rationality behind it? cuz 'thinking' is mostly sequential. and for something sequential, you can usually spot a pattern or logic...no such thing for the N...far as i can see

intuition, in the real world, is probably the brainchild of subconscious perception
    Much of our thinking takes place in the subterranean depths of our mind. It's subconscious reasoning.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think Intuition is the main ingredient of intelligence.
    I think intuition can basically be summed up as the ability to understand things.
    I think intuition is the ability to process concepts, and I think understanding is based on the ability to process concepts.
    I believe that your ability to understand things depends on your ability to handle concepts.
    I read in this article:
    Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality
    that N's are 27 times more likely to have a high IQ than S's.
    That's a really huge difference and it really points to intuition as being the most important aspect of intelligence.

I think that thinking is the 2nd most important ingredient of intelligence.
    I think that thinking ability is the ability to process information logically step by step. This is important for checking the validity of your ideas, but without intuition, I think that you wouldn't have the ability to understand things in the first place.
    For example, a computer can process data logically and without making errors,
    but it can't understand anything whatsoever. A computer has no intuition.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    My logical side, says it is just a thought. There is no proof or bearing to support intuition except in hindsight. In which most things can be explained.

I don't believe in gut feelings, or things without some sort of reason behind it.

If I do have intuition, I ignore it on the fact that there is nothing to support its validity.

Am I an S?
    Not necessarily. I'm an S and I trust my intuition just as much or more than my logic.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by TSDesigner View Post
    I think Intuition is the main ingredient of intelligence.
    I think intuition can basically be summed up as the ability to understand things.
    I think intuition is the ability to process concepts, and I think understanding is based on the ability to process concepts.
    I believe that your ability to understand things depends on your ability to handle concepts.
    I read in this article:
    Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality
    that N's are 27 times more likely to have a high IQ than S's.
    That's a really huge difference and it really points to intuition as being the most important aspect of intelligence.

I think that thinking is the 2nd most important ingredient of intelligence.
    I think that thinking ability is the ability to process information logically step by step. This is important for checking the validity of your ideas, but without intuition, I think that you wouldn't have the ability to understand things in the first place.
    For example, a computer can process data logically and without making errors,
    but it can't understand anything whatsoever. A computer has no intuition.
    interesting. I was listening to this radio show about intuition and it said children these days are about 47% intuitive or something, way above adults.

so if computers are on the thinking level, what can we create to simlulate intuition?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I don't instinctively know... I instinctively see. There's a difference there, between knowing and seeing... Knowing means knowing... and seeing is just seeing. You can Know but not See and you can See but not Know.

I See but don't Know.

Now does that mean I have intuition or no?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca