User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    My logical side, says it is just a thought. There is no proof or bearing to support intuition except in hindsight. In which most things can be explained.

I don't believe in gut feelings, or things without some sort of reason behind it.

If I do have intuition, I ignore it on the fact that there is nothing to support its validity.

Am I an S?
    Intuition is just a label we use for a process that we don't fully understand the neuroscience of yet.

It's not some magical thing or whatever, it's just a very very complex inductive process.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I don't believe in any human being able to know without being exposed to something. Many precognitive dreams are from the subconscious (which picks up a lot more than the conscious), so technically they are exposed to something without being aware of it.

Intuition as a Jung function I very much believe in.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Due to a few very strange predictive dreams I've had, i'm going to have to say yes..

I think that its just your brain subconsciously taking everything its seen and putting it together in reasonable sequence and organization and drawing conclusions-(USUALLY accurate ones.. although not ALWAYS.) whether you realize it or not.

(oops just copied skyward by accident!!

note to self: read threads before responding to them.. )

Now why would anyone expect a person like me who claims to prefer intuition,
    to believe in intuition?

As John McEnroe would say: "You cannot be serious!"
    I think someone in this thread needs to do some remedial reading about Ni.

MBTI
    ISTJ

When you phrase it like "believe in intuition" that sort of... Comes across uncomfortably. Evidence supports its existence.

If you ever try programming something, you'll see how powerful intuition is. Breaking something down into a perfectly logical system is difficult (revealing quite a bit about intuition). From experience, I can tell you that coding bots to shoot each other is not as simple as just telling the bots to point and shoot. Bots, as we know them today, are stupid because they have no intuition.

Another great example I think is catching a ball. Somehow we manage to ignore the complex physics problem and just catch the ball.

Also, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of the term "flow" before. It's a concept by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. He describes it basically as a state where we lose self-awareness and sort of just do things. Generally, we experience flow whenever an activity demands all of our attention (when the challenge perfectly meets our level of skill). (I think it occurs a lot while playing video games.) Through this experience we are able to better ourselves, raise ourselves to higher levels of skill, and generally just do things better. I'm not sure I fully understand the concept, but I think that may be intuition there seeing as how the decisions are not being made by any kind of conscious rationale.

Anyway, the fact that you get intuitive thoughts and then disregard them suggests to me that you are an N, as I never get any intuitive thoughts myself.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

intuition is real!!!1

I seen it be4!1//
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    to believe in intuition?

+1

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    to believe in intuition?

But how do you know it isn't real? I'm just bringing up a good point.

I think that anything unprovable should always be considered. Keep an open mind, and don't assume that you know more than you actually do.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    But how do you know it isn't real? I'm just bringing up a good point.

I think that anything unprovable should always be considered. Keep an open mind, and don't assume that you know more than you actually do.

You need to read my post again.
    Apparently, sarcasm is something you are completely unable to identify.
    I am an intuitive. Now do you get it?

But my sarcasm went over your head like the rockets' red glare.
    The bombs bursting in air.

Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
    O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Not only is my mind wide open to intuition,
    I can't fathom there are people who actually think it doesn't exist.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Definitions of "intuition" range from conservative to a little wild:

From Merriam Webster: "1: quick and ready insight 2a: immediate apprehension or cognition"

From Dictionary.com: "direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension"

If we are using the second definition, intuition is equated with the 5 physical senses in that it is immediate perception without thought process. I would say there is no such thing. However if we are using a more lenient definition, then it exists and we can see evidence of it in flashes of insight (which obviously have some source in knowledge that is stored away) and even non-representational art (which is based on things that we have experienced before-color, shape, texture). Both of these require some pre-processed information, but produce something new.

Anyway. That's my take.