• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

E vs. I - Not About Socializing

Darkéy

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, you're half way there--the I/E stat actually just tells us which of the two primary functions you give more priority to. Since the outer world doesn't really see or interact with one's introverted functions, being dominant in an introverted function causes one to appear more socially withdrawn.

In my opinion this sums it up quite well in that it's equally important the relationship e/i have with the outside world as the world interacting with them. The e/i's perspective on the social interaction for example will generally vary from what others may perceive of it.

Bringing us back to talk of energy and where e/i may find the source of their energy, stimulus, or motivation (for want of a more definitive word for it) as an introvert I do find certain social contexts invigorating and might go so far as to say give me energy, but others conversely I find quite draining and do require 'me-time' to recharge. Thus to some of my friends I may seem quite sociable and others quite the opposite but that's not to say I find either less enjoyable than the other, more that the approach I have to each and what I take/give to the given situations may vary. This I suppose is due to the size of the social group, or whether it's a different environment than I am used to etc.

Also to what jenocide said; yes, I do think that's definitely part of it and I find myself that I get very little done when I'm in a busy environment, though I do enjoy being alone with music to work and find it can motivate me more than working in silence. I guess it's partly dependent on my frame of mind at the time, and to a certain degree my locale. Living in a busy city generally means there isn't much in terms of silence so it's more replacing noise with music to a degree. Such that if I happen to be in the countryside or a quiet part of London (!) I find it much more relaxing (and at the same time productive) to embrace the silence around me.

Hopefully my 2 cents is relevant or at least slightly made sense! :nerd: If not, at least you got 2 cents from it! ;)

X.

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
This is a great post -- I, too, get sick of the social/anti-social dichotomy. But I've always been uncomfortable with the "get their energy" yardstick because I'm not sure what that means because I can get energized or excited or enthused or whatever word you want to use just as much by things that happen in the outside world as I can by what's going on in my brain. I've always liked the illustration used by Paul & Barbara Tieger (I think they might have got it from Isabel Myers) about the General and the Aide. The General is your primary function and the Aide is your auxilliary function. In introverts, the General plans his battles from inside the tent while the Aide deals with visitors outside the tent. In extroverts, the General is outside the tent working where everyone can see him and the Aide is inside. What this attempts to illustrate is that with extroverts, it's pretty easy to find out what's important to them but with introverts, you may have to get past the Aide and inside the tent to find out what's really going on.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
One of the best posts in a while. If only all of the extraverts claiming to be introverted would read this. Including, and especially, the ENxPs :)

But we do get it from internal things. That is why more reliable sources started the labelling of us as that. We go nuts without the introverted side, have days with no interest in conversation. It can be hard to see this when we are out in the world interacting with our surroundings, but I can totally reenergise with just myself and the silence. And you see the results of it on here a lot; we are the only two extroverted types that are common on the board, which could be put down to interest in psychology, but I still think the introverted side plays a part.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's true...i have days where i just don't want to leave my house for anything...won't answer my phone...won't even go out if i need something...and then i have days where i HAVE to get out even if it's just to walk around somewhere.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But we do get it from internal things. That is why more reliable sources started the labelling of us as that. We go nuts without the introverted side, have days with no interest in conversation. It can be hard to see this when we are out in the world interacting with our surroundings, but I can totally reenergise with just myself and the silence. And you see the results of it on here a lot; we are the only two extroverted types that are common on the board, which could be put down to interest in psychology, but I still think the introverted side plays a part.

it's true...i have days where i just don't want to leave my house for anything...won't answer my phone...won't even go out if i need something...and then i have days where i HAVE to get out even if it's just to walk around somewhere.

No convincing you guys then, I guess :D

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Wonka..you're right on. The common misconception of whether somebody is social and talkative or not hardly defines I/E at all. I know plenty of very very social and talkative Introverts.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure I understand these responses.

Notice how they're all sensors?

Sure, the E/I difference is more than just preference for social interaction vs isolation, but just because someone prefers the outside world to the world of ideas doesn't mean they're an extravert either. Most ISTPs would probably rather work on their car than read a book but they still get exhausted more easily at a social gathering and don't tend to socialize outside of their group of friends as much as an ESTP.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No convincing you guys then, I guess :D

why do you wanna convince someone of that? i don't get it it...and i just read my nojari thing...some of you people think i'm loud! i am so not loud.
girl_nea.gif

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
why do you wanna convince someone of that? i don't get it it...and i just read my nojari thing...some of you people think i'm loud! i am so not loud.
girl_nea.gif

I'm not really interested in convincing you, just sayin' :)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
How can you guys disagree with this definition? It is the foundation upon which Introversion and Extroversion were founded. Sure, you may not understand it, but it doesn't mean it's wrong? It means that your observation and idea of the definition is wrong.

It's in all the MBTI books, and over the web. Go look it up if you don't understand it.

Jaguar

Why didn't I think of that.
Sure.

If it's in the MBTI books, then it simply must be true.
Question nothing.
You are not allowed to have independent thought.
You must think only the thoughts of those who have gone before you.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Well, MBTi books might not be reliable, but a word means what it is defined as meaning; there isn't really room for debating that. If we want to say something else, we use a different word.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know plenty of very very social and talkative Introverts.

We can be in bursts, in the right setting, and on topics that we have many thoughts on. :yes:

The difference is, for every 10 minutes I am that way, it seems I need 20 to recover, no matter how enjoyable the exchange is. It's like an orgasm, there's this woozy afterglow period in which I just want to nap :D.
It feels like so much is taken out of me to be that outgoing, but to casual observers who haven't seen my other side, it seems incomprehensible that I am usually reserved. These same people will get offended when I am in my natural introverted state, because they think I'm being stand-offish then.

I've known people who claim to be introverts because they need time alone, like to read, hate the phone, have moments of introspection, etc, but they are soooo not introverts. When they talk about their lives, it's going, going, going. Just hearing about it tires me, but to them their life seems very relaxed. It's hard to explain the profound difference I sense in these people, and I admit I feel some annoyance when they call themselves introverts.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I am more interested in whole type and functions, than definitive I vs. E. statements like that.

Lumping Fi, Ni, Si and Ti doms together into definitive and simplistic statements doesn't make sense to me.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've known people who claim to be introverts because they need time alone, like to read, hate the phone, have moments of introspection, etc, but they are soooo not introverts. When they talk about their lives, it's going, going, going. Just hearing about it tires me, but to them their life seems very relaxed. It's hard to explain the profound difference I sense in these people, and I admit I feel some annoyance when they call themselves introverts.

Extravert - "I'm introverted, I need alone time, I can stay in the house for days, not talk to people, etc."
Introvert - "That's called being a person."

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
finally? I've been saying this till I was blue in the face...

Me too, I must have said this at least a hundred times. Thanks for bringing it up again Wonka! Very well explained IMO.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah yeah i know what ya mean...i'm not saying i am introverted or even that i necessarily seem introverted just saying that some may describe me as quiet or soft spoken...which you don't usually associate with extraverts....just wondered how many other extraverts are that way, ya know?