First 678

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Bart View Post
    This is a great post -- I, too, get sick of the social/anti-social dichotomy. But I've always been uncomfortable with the "get their energy" yardstick because I'm not sure what that means because I can get energized or excited or enthused or whatever word you want to use just as much by things that happen in the outside world as I can by what's going on in my brain. I've always liked the illustration used by Paul & Barbara Tieger (I think they might have got it from Isabel Myers) about the General and the Aide. The General is your primary function and the Aide is your auxilliary function. In introverts, the General plans his battles from inside the tent while the Aide deals with visitors outside the tent. In extroverts, the General is outside the tent working where everyone can see him and the Aide is inside. What this attempts to illustrate is that with extroverts, it's pretty easy to find out what's important to them but with introverts, you may have to get past the Aide and inside the tent to find out what's really going on.
    Yeah, I wonder if interaction with the outer world is draining for Introverts because they primarily use their "weaker" secondary function, rather than their "stronger" dominant function, to deal with the outer world.

I vaguely remember reading something to that extent somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Yeah, I mean, people have the RIGHT to use words however they want.

But in order for people to actually discuss something, they have to speak the same language.

When discussing MBTI, I think it would be helpful to use MBTI terms as you find them in the original MBTI literature, rather than all these obscure personal definitions that no one can seem to agree on.

Agreeing on standard definitions does not limit discussion, it makes discussion possible.
    Actually---I think BallentineChen said it well:

The goal is thoughtful, stimulating conversation without the impediment of having to put up with having to clarify basic concepts.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INFP

E/I just represents which world is viewed at a higher value, the internal or external.

Introverts pass everything through their internal filter and everything that goes is in subject to self perception. Extrovert's, on the other hand, inner world is subject to the objective world. Introverts are more likely to feel that their mind is less dynamic and more reliable than the outer world, and vice versa with extroverts.

I've heard, and tend to agree with, the assessment that introverts are more likely to change their surroundings and extroverts are more likely to change their inner life if the situation so calls for it.

'Needing external stimulus' is correct but overly simplified as pointed out by the ISxxs in this thread. ISxx thrive on the external in so much as it feeds their inner world. It is still very much secondary to their own perspective.