ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    By that measure I am an extravert.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Yeah, I'm an extrovert if that's the definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    According to that definition, I am definitely E and not I.
    But I am still me.
    Yep, me too. But then, by that definition I think like 98 percent of people would be E. Almost everybody needs external stimulation of some kind.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I am definitely an introvert, but that definition & most any definition. Of course I seek and enjoy external interaction, but it is a drain on me. I must retreat into thought to restore my energy. I use things like music and books to expand that thought though. Those are technically outside sources, but I think it's still an introverted process I am engaging in. Even posting online can be more of a thinking process for me than an interaction.

I think it should be noted that an extrovert is still probably more inclined to seek out social interaction because it would be energizing for him/her, and an introvert would be inclined to prefer more alone time for the same reason.

And of course, extroversion & introversion are on a "scale" anyway.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

You can find that same piece of information on wikipedia, and it doesn't really seem to help much when typing people, you still need more info than that. It's a good point to consider though, and like OrangeAppled said above, maybe the key is in linking this to where you get your energy from.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quinlan:
    By that measure I am an extravert.

TheChosenOne:
    Yeah, I'm an extrovert if that's the definition.
    Walking Tourist:
    According to that definition, I am definitely E and not I.
    But I am still me.
    Jeffster:
    Yep, me too. But then, by that definition I think like 98 percent of people would be E. Almost everybody needs external stimulation of some kind.

I'm not sure I understand these responses.

I started this thread because there seems to be a lot of confusion about Introversion/Extraversion, and I intentionally quoted a very standard definition in order to clarify the issue.

It is not something new or different from anything you would find in the usual Meyers-Briggs literature, and like someone else mentioned, you can find this on Wikipedia, so I don't understand how it changes anything.

If you could please explain how this definition changes your type, I would greatly appreciate it.

(P.S.---I wonder if it was a simple misunderstanding . Maybe the original title of the O.P. was misleading. )

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quite accurate. Thank you.
    I N V I C T U S

I am familiar with this concept(since it did occure to me). Bur to be honest this doesn't make too much sense. At least if you want to keep introverted sensor group in the mix. Since by this definition only expressed introverted intuitives have the chance to be introverts.

As it was already said that would mean that pretty much everyone will be E. Which means that it is pointless to place this "dimension of personality" into classification if you define it this way.

I am introvert even if this is true/correct.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Quinlan:

TheChosenOne:

Walking Tourist:

Jeffster:

I started this thread because there seems to be a lot of confusion about Introversion/Extraversion, and I intentionally quoted a very standard definition in order to clarify the issue.

It is not something new or different from anything you would find in the usual Meyers-Briggs literature, and like someone else mentioned, you can find this on Wikipedia, so I don't understand how it changes anything.

If you could please explain how this definition changes your type, I would greatly appreciate it.
    oh...... so that's how it is...... I'm just someone else to you.....

Anyway, I find this quality to hold true more often:
    Introverts- Think, Do, Think. The 'do' could be just about anything, speaking for example.
    Extroverts- Do, Think, Do. They need to have something to think about. Which is connected to the definition you've come across, as an extrovert needs to do something in the outside world to act upon primarily.

That suggests that introverts can also quite easily be focused on the outer world.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Anyway, I find this quality to hold true more often:
    Introverts- Think, Do, Think. The 'do' could be just about anything, speaking for example.
    Extroverts- Do, Think, Do. They need to have something to think about. Which is connected to the definition you've come across, as an extrovert needs to do something in the outside world to act upon primarily.

That suggests that introverts can also quite easily be focused on the outer world.
    Yeah, that's a great way of putting it.

In retrospect, I think that the original title of the O.P. was misleading.

It was not my intention to provide a way to determine E or I.

My intention, as I stated in the conclusion of the O.P., was to dispel the myth (or rather the habit of thinking) that how much one socializes or doesn't socialize indicates E or I.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post

Well first of all "getting my energy" makes little sense to me, I get my energy from what I eat and drink. I do get easily drained by interacting with people, especially strangers but at the same time I also get very much energised/excited by things, activities and even people in the external environment, I can't see how anyone with Se in their top two could be any different.

I think I am ISFP because I relate really well to pretty much all of the ISFP type descriptions, I don't relate to ESFP descriptions in the same way. I'm very reserved, an observer, a responder, I think before I do, I reflect on things a lot, yet at the same time I feel energised by the external environment, I don't see why this doesn't make sense for ISFP anyway.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INTP

E or I? So What? You can call me Betty for all I care. But even though I may exhibit some extroverted behavior the fact is my behavior is much more consistent with the profile of the INTP than the ENTP. For one thing, I don't think I would be happy ending up with an INFJ (ideal for ENTP). I have had a thing for ENFJ women long before I knew anything of MBTI.