• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Schizophrenic customer making me nervous...

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Is there a certain way you should act toward paranoid schizophrenics (unmedicated, I assume) to help keep them calm, or is it useless to try?

One of my jobs is Barista Extraordinaire at a little independent coffee shop, and since employees work solo shifts, people come in to hang out and talk with us a lot. "Betsy" is a middle aged woman who comes in and rants to me a lot, and she kind of thinks we're best buddies. She was the cause of all sorts of drama last week while I was away. Apparently there were two different episodes where Betsy verbally attacked and harassed a customer, and after another episode where she screamed and chased the same woman a few doors down the street, Betsy was arrested. Based on what she was yelling and a quick chat with the police, we've learned that Betsy is mentally ill and has a history of similar problems.

I don't have any qualms about hanging out with mentally ill people, but I am a little concerned about the next time she visits the coffee shop. Betsy mentions things like wanting to break a chair over other customers' heads, so I'm a little nervous about how to act around her if she gets going on one of her rants. Should I continue to act the way I normally do? I already know reasoning with her is useless, but is there any tactic I might try to help her stay calm and happy, or do I need to up my weightlifting and keep the police on speed dial? :D

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think you can do anything but minimize actions that might be perceived as aggressive, but even then she might misinterpret or exaggerate your behavior. It sounds like it is only a matter of time before she is sent to a mental health facility. Can you ban her from the coffee shop?

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Can you ban someone completely from a public place without going to court and all that jazz?

Mole

Permabanned
I already know reasoning with her is useless, but is there any tactic I might try to help her stay calm and happy

If she is schizophrenic then reasoning with her is useless because her thoughts are out of touch with reality.

However her emotions are in touch with reality, so relating to her on an emotional level will make sense to you and to her.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Schizophrenics are scary, no doubt about it. We had one visit us a couple of times last year, and he freakishly annoyed the hell out of all my family members. He was diagnosed with the condition in prison where he got done for repeated petty thefts.

... It's insane. God knows whether they even know what they're doing, or saying. :confused:

My best advise is report "Betsy" to the police, and seek to ban her from the coffee shop. You might want to get witnesses involved with that decision, too.

Mole

Permabanned
The thoughts of schizophrenics are out of touch with reality, while their emotions are in touch with reality.

On the other hand, the emotions of the Clinically Depressed are out of touch with reality, while their thoughts are in touch with reality.

So you can relate to a schizophrenic emotionally, and someone Clinically Depressed by thought and reason.

And how we treat a person with a mental illness is a test of our humanity.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't have any qualms about hanging out with mentally ill people, but I am a little concerned about the next time she visits the coffee shop. Betsy mentions things like wanting to break a chair over other customers' heads, so I'm a little nervous about how to act around her if she gets going on one of her rants. Should I continue to act the way I normally do? I already know reasoning with her is useless, but is there any tactic I might try to help her stay calm and happy, or do I need to up my weightlifting and keep the police on speed dial? :D

Put a little note in the bottom of her coffee that says, "They are watching your every move. Meet me at the bus station tonight at 11pm. <Signed>A Friend."

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
My best advise is report "Betsy" to the police, and seek to ban her from the coffee shop. You might want to get witnesses involved with that decision, too.

Maybe I'll talk to the owner about this.

So you can relate to a schizophrenic emotionally...

... And how we treat a person with a mental illness is a test of our humanity.

Emotional I can definitely do. :D Also, I enjoy and learn from all types of people. I'm only worried about unpredictable violence in this situation.

I assumed the coffee shop was privately owned.

:doh: Yeah. I guess I just didn't know you could ban someone from a place where the general public goes, like a store or restaurant.

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I understand how working with people with a mental illness can be difficult; working as a legal advocate has had its times of anxiety and fear for me when clients have been actively psychotic. However, the vast majority of the time I have not had problems. You have to remember that her symptoms could be fluctuating depending on her internal stimuli so her behavior could vary from day to day. I would agree that you not try to "reason" with her, that just creates more anxiety and cognitive dissonance for her. Try to keep the interaction brief, calm and just explain that you need to get back to work if she wants to engage you. I know it sounds "weird" but it is a good idea to have a mental escape route should things get out of hand. I am just speaking from my own experience, so I don't want to alarm you too much. Better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately, if her behavior does become aggressive you may have to call the police. The general standard for any type of mental health hold (varies from state to state) is if the person presents a danger to self and/or others. You could go the route of trying to ban her but legally a person cannot be discriminated against in a public accommodation (public sevices) due to their disability.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Put a little note in the bottom of her coffee that says, "They are watching your every move. Meet me at the bus station tonight at 11pm. <Signed>A Friend."

You're a bit evil, and still, I laugh... :)

I know it sounds "weird" but it is a good idea to have a mental escape route should things get out of hand.

By "mental escape route," you mean plan ahead of time what I'm going to do if there's a problem? That's why I'm a little nervous, since I'm the only employee in here. I guess the best thing I can think of is to keep any emergency numbers readily accessible.

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
By "mental escape route," you mean plan ahead of time what I'm going to do if there's a problem? That's why I'm a little nervous, since I'm the only employee in here. I guess the best thing I can think of is to keep any emergency numbers readily accessible.

I hope I'm not increasing your anxiety but this is just something I intuitively do now, but that is because of my work in institutional settings, more confined. I guess the best way to describe a mental escape route is be aware of where she is in relation to you, don't get so close in her space that you can't step back, don't "box yourself in" so that you can't extract yourself safely. I feel kind of bad, not knowing the circumstances, if my suggestions make you more nervous. I just found for myself that I had to train myself to think this way with certain clients for my own safety, but still work with them. It actually helped deal with my anxiety because I felt I could take some steps to minimize any harm.

And if necessary, if you feel physically threatened, you absolutely have that right to call the police. It's ok to look out for yourself.:yes:

And like I said, symptoms can vary from day to day, and she could be having a "good day" the next time you see her. Hope these suggestions help address some of your concerns.:)

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Doesn't increase my nervousness at all. I find your suggestions very helpful, actually. I think I already do some of these things, and didn't even realize it. Thanks.:)

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Schizophrenia has such a wide range of conditions... If this girl chases people down the street it is safe to say she has one of the more extreme conditions. From what I've read they sort of have manic phases where they are at their worst, and the periods inbetween where symptoms are not so severe. My brother at his worst would hear voices through radio and TV static (straight out of a movie) but after he was medicated and on therapy I can see no real symptons save extreme social anxiety which sadly seems to be getting worse.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
If she keeps coming to the shop she'll scare away customers, as I do with my 5 o clock shadow and unkempt INTP hair.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She should be banned from the coffee shop. For your safety, the other patrons safety, and her own safety --clearly, it's an environment that prompts her to have "a bad spell."