User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    intp

In either case, it's a creative definition.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Being fucked + extenuating circumstances CAN = "victim of society" My meaning of that term means that this chemical imbalance plus lack of universal health care can and does lead these people to become homeless. Thus being ignored by society.
    Yeah "victim" probably isn't the best word. When there's a victim, there is usually an aggressor and the victim is taken advantage of. If society collectively threw rocks at and stole from schizophrenics whenever they saw them, then they'd be victims. They are victims of circumstance if anything, not society.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

^ It's a term. I'm not going to nit pick it. I used the words of the previous poster for expediency (and I clarified the term and explained what I meant by that term) If I were to redefine every term that's thrown about then we'd be here all day. I'd rather everyone focus on the general idea behind my posts rather than one word in it. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah "victim" probably isn't the best word. When there's a victim, there is usually an aggressor and the victim is taken advantage of. If society collectively threw rocks at and stole from schizophrenics whenever they saw them, then they'd be victims. The are victims of circumstance, not society.
    Yes. I'm all for getting affordable mental health medication to those who need it, but the use of the "victim" label for all and sundry sorts of unfortunate situations is out of control.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Now I know why we don't have a great health care system. A bunch of INTP's are still talking about what the new system should be named.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    intp

Some even wonder if it's a great idea in the first place. They're looking into meanings and costs and benefits as you wait, victimized by their deliberation.
    hoarding time and space

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post

Now I know why we don't have a great health care system. A bunch of INTP's are still talking about what the new system should be named.
    A lot of health reform is going to be passed in the next couple years, the plans to cut costs and increase efficiency have broad support, right now people are mostly debating on whether to include a public option or not.

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    Being fucked = you're a victim of society? Certainly it is unfortunate and calls for a solution but how does this create victims of society (rather than of bad biochemistry) out of the mentally unstable.
    Why is your post assuming them to be mutually exclusive? Can one not be, to a degree, a victim of society AND a 'victim' of bad biochemistry?

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Why is your post assuming them to be mutually exclusive? Can one not be, to a degree, a victim of society AND a 'victim' of bad biochemistry?
    It's not mutually exclusive if society actually drove the insane to mental illness (e.g. terrorizing a person into PTSD). But that's not the sense indicated there.
    hoarding time and space

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    It's not mutually exclusive if society actually drove the insane to mental illness (e.g. terrorizing a person into PTSD). But that's not the sense indicated there.
    There's more than one role a society can play. You only assume as a cause. What about maintenance? Or exacerbating? By your line of thought, it's a debate of nature VERSUS nurture....do you have any reasoning for why you are negating nurture - of a more global scale, say, society?