User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Hey old people! Get in here a sec.

I have a few questions for those significantly older than, say, 21.

I'm interested in knowing what I have to look forward to, with the whole aging process thing you guys have been through. It's gonna be pretty vague, I'm afraid.

Questions:-

Note: I'm more concerned with the non-environmental factors of aging (aging itself, as opposed to getting older), but I imagine they are hard/logically impossible to isolate.
    Mental

Are you as sharp as you used to be?
    Do you think as much?
    Are you as creative, theoretically?
    Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to?
    Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area?

Physical

It's all pretty famous in this dimension.
    Anything not obvious you'd think I or anyone else would like to know about?

Emotional

The be all end all for me:-

If you had powerful, deep, profound, mystical, whatever emotions/feelings before, do they still occur the same? How's their strength/importance to you changed?

If you never had such feelings before, anything changed?

How's the stability of your emotions going?
    How's the strength of your emotions changed?
    Do you find you have more control over them now?
    Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed?

Anything else outside these dimensions you think has changed due to aging?

That's all the questions I can think of at the moment. Any relevant responses appreciated!
    Last edited by erm; 07-15-2009 at 08:00 AM.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'd be interested in this too.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I have a few questions for those significantly older than, say, 21.

I'm interested in knowing what I have to look forward to, with the whole aging process thing you guys have been through. It's gonna be pretty vague, I'm afraid.

Questions:-

Note: I'm more concerned with the non-environmental factors of aging (aging itself, as opposed to getting older), but I imagine they are hard/logically impossible to isolate.
    Mental

Do you think as much?

Physical

Anything not obvious you'd think I or anyone else would like to know about?

Emotional

If you had powerful, deep, profound, mystical, whatever emotions/feelings before, do they still occur the same? How's their strength/importance to you changed?

That's all the questions I can think of at the moment. Any relevant responses appreciated!
    I'm female, 57. Just as sharp. I've always been in my head but I would say I'm a deeper thinker now because I have life's experiences to use. If you are inquisitive by nature, it will always be that way for you and I have always wanted to know why, why, why (and a little frustrated when I can't find the answer.) For me, emotions have become so much more manageable hence that saying 'mellow with age'. It's because of my interest in what makes humans tick. If you take the time to try and understand why people think and act the way they do, you will be better able to not to take things to heart. I'm much more patient with people, less judgemental. Just remember that we can't control how other's act but we do have control over our own feelings, this is so much easier if you have some understanding why people act the way they do. I'm much more in tuned to spirituality, nature, the planet, physics. I've had many times of odd synchronicity all my life, on several occasions I've had more profound experiences. I haven't found that they've increased as I've gotten older but I am much more interested in them when they happen, and it feels more natural to me now. In the last 10 years I've felt more related to nature, the planet, the universe. It's very spiritual. When you have a sense that you are, and all is, part of something enormous and profound, the disappointments and day to day stuff become more trivial. I suppose that is one reason I've become more laid back with my emotions. I had to deal with a particularly nasty lady at work today, it jangled my nerves and I was tempted to tell her off, but I chose to let it go, the thought occurred to me that she might have some sort of disorder she's dealing with. You can be upset and sorry for someone at the same time. But like I was talking about before, in the grand scheme of things, this was nothing but a moment. I can choose to stay upset or I can choose to let it be.

Do you have any more questions? I'll be glad to answer if I can.

MBTI
    INFJ

If you are in your late teens/early 20's you are most likely experiencing some turmoil just trying to get your adult life started. Most people at your age are bogged down with college, jobs, meeting new people, losing touch with old friends. You want to get out in the real world and live your life but circumstances have you still at home answering to parents, or dealing with the dynamics of sharing a place with other people, some of them may have been friends but now that you're living with them you're finding their habits are getting on your last nerve. Everything seems to be coming at you too fast but at the same time you feel like it's not going fast enough. Things are unsettling. You're making choices every day that you never had to deal with before and you're feeling a bit burdened, pressured, and unsure of yourself.

I could very well be off the mark here, but am I close? How are you doing emotionally?

I'm 39, and to be honest I haven't experienced much of anything. I still largely feel like I did in my mid twenties, and I don't even have a particularly healthy lifestyle.

I've mostly noticed only three things:

1. Missing sleep catches up with me more later in the week than it used to.

2. My weight kind of yo-yos, and it's harder to yo down than it used to be.

3. It's stupid, but I appreciate eating on real dishes instead of paper plates or takeout containers. I always thought that was one "adult" thing that would never affect me. It's not really what you asked for, but I thought it was amusing
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    infp

Mental

Are you as sharp as you used to be? = I think I'm sharper in many things

Do you think as much? = Much more, I was more action then thought before, now it's more thought then action.

Are you as creative, theoretically? = Sadly no, I was always creating things, these days real life doesn't give me the time, and I don't feel the burn as much as I used to.

Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to? = More now than I did before.

Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area? = My memory is crapper than it used to be.

Physical

Anything not obvious you'd think I or anyone else would like to know about? = Nope except maybe that you become more comfortable in your body, inspite of the fact that it changes.

Emotional

If you had powerful, deep, profound, mystical, whatever emotions/feelings before, do they still occur the same? How's their strength/importance to you changed? = I'm more wary of them, less trusting of what they are trying to tell me.

How's the stability of your emotions going? = I think they are less stable in some areas, but stronger in others.

How's the strength of your emotions changed? = I'm better at holding the beast inside these days, I was much more expressive regardless of the emotion I was expressing back when I was younger.

Do you find you have more control over them now? = Yes.

Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed? = Less optimistic, more angry at myself for my idealism and how I am still battling inside to accept reality over how I wish things were.

Anything else outside these dimensions you think has changed due to aging? Nothing I can think of just yet, but if I do (which I will spend today mulling over thanks to these questions lol) I will post again.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Mental

- About my interests, yes. Very much more so.

Do you think as much?
    - Much more. Much more effectively too!

- Less creative. Or well, more focused, rather. Was much more random when younger. Depends I suppose on your definition of creative.

- Much more so. I had other priorities when I was younger.

- My entire mindset and priorities.

- I became more horny, but less explosive.

- Well, there's been certain experiences that have changed my view on life in general.

- Extremely stable. Much much more so than when I was younger.

- Getting stronger every new experience, far past the point I ever thought possible.

- I find that I have absolute control over them now.

- I became much more optimistic and interested in others.

- The older you get, the more I am confronted with the finity of life, the more I grow to appreciate it.

I don't think I'm old by the way, but I am older than 21 as you asked in the OP post. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Phantonym

Hey old people! Get in here a sec.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_ I think that's the only answer I can think of at the moment. Feeling insulted...
    Maybe later. A sec has passed, kthxbye.

Edit: Ok. I'm ready to provide some answers now.

Mental

- Sharper. Or at least my scope has widened considerably.
    Do you think as much? - More. How can you not think? :rolli:
    Are you as creative, theoretically? - If you define creativity as having the power to create, then yes, of course. No decline in that department. If you define it as a result of originality of thought and expression, then I think there is improvement, of course. Well, for example, as my grasp of language has definitely become better, I can certainly be more creative in my writing.
    Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to? - The thirst never ends
    Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area? - Self-confidence in my abilities. Actually, it's all about the "The more you find out about things, the less you know". But it's not something that overwhelms. It's more like I'm confident that it doesn't matter if I don't know things or can't do things, I can always find out and learn them. I think when I was younger (especially mid-teens), I often had this strong "Oh no, I can't understand this, what do I do?" feeling that has become slightly less stronger

Physical

Anything not obvious you'd think I or anyone else would like to know about? - I have no idea what is not obvious to other people. So, obviously I'm still live and kicking as much as I used to be

Emotional

- Yes, they do. The "Aha!" moments never cease, there's always something new. I think the strength is still the same but I'm more able to focus on them now. Maybe they're not that overwhelming now and I more willing to explore them.

How's the stability of your emotions going? - I'm pretty stable in being unstable Emotional highs and lows are an everyday thing for me but I've discovered that I'm more able to see the signs and even if I don't always act quickly to avoid the flow of emotions and deal with them, I know that everything passes and I'm OK with it. I embrace my fluctuating emotions. That's something I didn't feel at ease with when I was younger.

How's the strength of your emotions changed? - Emotions are still very strong just as they used to be.

Do you find you have more control over them now? - Yes, definitely. Well, at least I think I have. I get overwhelmed by my emotions all the time but I'm able to deal much better with them. I still get the feeling of running away from my emotions but I'm much more willing to stay and "fight" now. There's much more analyzing going on now than there was when I was younger. I think it was more black and white when I was younger but now there's a variety of shades that I refused to see before. And I'm OK to juggle with them

Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed? - I've certainly calmed down more. Not that anxious anymore about the things that go on around me and people around me. I used to suppress my emotions/feelings considerably when I was younger, but now I let them run more freely It can be a struggle, though.

I'll let you know when I think of something I cannot wait to share with the rest of the world. Everything changes, embrace it.
    Actually, I've always felt about 4-5 years younger than my actual age. I like it

Oh, and yeah. I use much more smileys now in my old age
    Last edited by Phantonym; 07-15-2009 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Answers

MBTI
    ESFJ

Mental

Are you as sharp as you used to be? Still the same i suppose
    Do you think as much? Pretty much the same
    Are you as creative, theoretically?I am creative when it comes to my kids school projects
    Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to?I ask more questions now
    Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area?No

Physical

Did a crazy 3 hours dance workout the other day, 2 days later and the muscles in my neck and shoulders still hurt. Have to remember sometimes just how old i am and not the age i am in my head

Emotional

How's the stability of your emotions going?Better now than in the past
    How's the strength of your emotions changed?Try to put more emphesis on thinking as opposed to feeling
    Do you find you have more control over them now?Hell yes
    Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed?Slightly jaded that people suck when they claim to love you

I can't complain, i still look great for my age. My laughter lines around my eyes are becoming more prodominant, got to sort out the little flabby bits on my upper arms but i think i am in a better place emotionally and physically than i was 10 years ago. You stop sweating the small stuff as you get older and all of lifes little ot huge knockbacks just make you as stronger person.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

over 21 and old? Old? OLD?