• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hey old people! Get in here a sec.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have a few questions for those significantly older than, say, 21.

I'm interested in knowing what I have to look forward to, with the whole aging process thing you guys have been through. It's gonna be pretty vague, I'm afraid.

Questions:-

Note: I'm more concerned with the non-environmental factors of aging (aging itself, as opposed to getting older), but I imagine they are hard/logically impossible to isolate.
Mental

Are you as sharp as you used to be?
Do you think as much?
Are you as creative, theoretically?
Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to?
Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area?

Physical

It's all pretty famous in this dimension.
Anything not obvious you'd think I or anyone else would like to know about?

Emotional

The be all end all for me:-

If you had powerful, deep, profound, mystical, whatever emotions/feelings before, do they still occur the same? How's their strength/importance to you changed?

If you never had such feelings before, anything changed?

How's the stability of your emotions going?
How's the strength of your emotions changed?
Do you find you have more control over them now?
Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed?

Anything else outside these dimensions you think has changed due to aging?

That's all the questions I can think of at the moment. Any relevant responses appreciated!

Last edited:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd be interested in this too. :)

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have a few questions for those significantly older than, say, 21.

I'm interested in knowing what I have to look forward to, with the whole aging process thing you guys have been through. It's gonna be pretty vague, I'm afraid.

Note: I'm more concerned with the non-environmental factors of aging (aging itself, as opposed to getting older), but I imagine they are hard/logically impossible to isolate.
Mental

Do you think as much?

Physical

Emotional

If you had powerful, deep, profound, mystical, whatever emotions/feelings before, do they still occur the same? How's their strength/importance to you changed?

That's all the questions I can think of at the moment. Any relevant responses appreciated!

I'm female, 57. Just as sharp. I've always been in my head but I would say I'm a deeper thinker now because I have life's experiences to use. If you are inquisitive by nature, it will always be that way for you and I have always wanted to know why, why, why (and a little frustrated when I can't find the answer.) For me, emotions have become so much more manageable hence that saying 'mellow with age'. It's because of my interest in what makes humans tick. If you take the time to try and understand why people think and act the way they do, you will be better able to not to take things to heart. I'm much more patient with people, less judgemental. Just remember that we can't control how other's act but we do have control over our own feelings, this is so much easier if you have some understanding why people act the way they do. I'm much more in tuned to spirituality, nature, the planet, physics. I've had many times of odd synchronicity all my life, on several occasions I've had more profound experiences. I haven't found that they've increased as I've gotten older but I am much more interested in them when they happen, and it feels more natural to me now. In the last 10 years I've felt more related to nature, the planet, the universe. It's very spiritual. When you have a sense that you are, and all is, part of something enormous and profound, the disappointments and day to day stuff become more trivial. I suppose that is one reason I've become more laid back with my emotions. I had to deal with a particularly nasty lady at work today, it jangled my nerves and I was tempted to tell her off, but I chose to let it go, the thought occurred to me that she might have some sort of disorder she's dealing with. You can be upset and sorry for someone at the same time. But like I was talking about before, in the grand scheme of things, this was nothing but a moment. I can choose to stay upset or I can choose to let it be.

Do you have any more questions? I'll be glad to answer if I can.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ

If you are in your late teens/early 20's you are most likely experiencing some turmoil just trying to get your adult life started. Most people at your age are bogged down with college, jobs, meeting new people, losing touch with old friends. You want to get out in the real world and live your life but circumstances have you still at home answering to parents, or dealing with the dynamics of sharing a place with other people, some of them may have been friends but now that you're living with them you're finding their habits are getting on your last nerve. Everything seems to be coming at you too fast but at the same time you feel like it's not going fast enough. Things are unsettling. You're making choices every day that you never had to deal with before and you're feeling a bit burdened, pressured, and unsure of yourself.

I could very well be off the mark here, but am I close? How are you doing emotionally?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm 39, and to be honest I haven't experienced much of anything. I still largely feel like I did in my mid twenties, and I don't even have a particularly healthy lifestyle.

I've mostly noticed only three things:

1. Missing sleep catches up with me more later in the week than it used to.

2. My weight kind of yo-yos, and it's harder to yo down than it used to be.

3. It's stupid, but I appreciate eating on real dishes instead of paper plates or takeout containers. I always thought that was one "adult" thing that would never affect me. It's not really what you asked for, but I thought it was amusing :)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp

Mental

Are you as sharp as you used to be? = I think I'm sharper in many things

Do you think as much? = Much more, I was more action then thought before, now it's more thought then action.

Are you as creative, theoretically? = Sadly no, I was always creating things, these days real life doesn't give me the time, and I don't feel the burn as much as I used to.

Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to? = More now than I did before.

Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area? = My memory is crapper than it used to be.

Physical

Anything not obvious you'd think I or anyone else would like to know about? = Nope except maybe that you become more comfortable in your body, inspite of the fact that it changes.

Emotional

If you had powerful, deep, profound, mystical, whatever emotions/feelings before, do they still occur the same? How's their strength/importance to you changed? = I'm more wary of them, less trusting of what they are trying to tell me.

How's the stability of your emotions going? = I think they are less stable in some areas, but stronger in others.

How's the strength of your emotions changed? = I'm better at holding the beast inside these days, I was much more expressive regardless of the emotion I was expressing back when I was younger.

Do you find you have more control over them now? = Yes.

Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed? = Less optimistic, more angry at myself for my idealism and how I am still battling inside to accept reality over how I wish things were.

Anything else outside these dimensions you think has changed due to aging? Nothing I can think of just yet, but if I do (which I will spend today mulling over thanks to these questions lol) I will post again.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Mental

- About my interests, yes. Very much more so.

Do you think as much?
- Much more. Much more effectively too!

- Less creative. Or well, more focused, rather. Was much more random when younger. Depends I suppose on your definition of creative.

- Much more so. I had other priorities when I was younger.

- My entire mindset and priorities.

- I became more horny, but less explosive.

- Well, there's been certain experiences that have changed my view on life in general.

- Extremely stable. Much much more so than when I was younger.

- Getting stronger every new experience, far past the point I ever thought possible.

- I find that I have absolute control over them now.

- I became much more optimistic and interested in others.

- The older you get, the more I am confronted with the finity of life, the more I grow to appreciate it.

I don't think I'm old by the way, but I am older than 21 as you asked in the OP post. :p

P

Phantonym

Hey old people! Get in here a sec.

:yim_rolling_on_the_ I think that's the only answer I can think of at the moment. Feeling insulted...:whistling:
Maybe later. A sec has passed, kthxbye.

Edit: Ok. I'm ready to provide some answers now.

Mental

- Sharper. Or at least my scope has widened considerably.
Do you think as much? - More. How can you not think? :rolli:
Are you as creative, theoretically? - If you define creativity as having the power to create, then yes, of course. No decline in that department. If you define it as a result of originality of thought and expression, then I think there is improvement, of course. Well, for example, as my grasp of language has definitely become better, I can certainly be more creative in my writing.
Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to? - The thirst never ends :laugh:
Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area? - Self-confidence in my abilities. Actually, it's all about the "The more you find out about things, the less you know". But it's not something that overwhelms. It's more like I'm confident that it doesn't matter if I don't know things or can't do things, I can always find out and learn them. I think when I was younger (especially mid-teens), I often had this strong "Oh no, I can't understand this, what do I do?" feeling that has become slightly less stronger :laugh:

Physical

Anything not obvious you'd think I or anyone else would like to know about? - I have no idea what is not obvious to other people. So, obviously I'm still live and kicking as much as I used to be :laugh:

Emotional

- Yes, they do. The "Aha!" moments never cease, there's always something new. I think the strength is still the same but I'm more able to focus on them now. Maybe they're not that overwhelming now and I more willing to explore them.

How's the stability of your emotions going? - I'm pretty stable in being unstable :laugh: Emotional highs and lows are an everyday thing for me but I've discovered that I'm more able to see the signs and even if I don't always act quickly to avoid the flow of emotions and deal with them, I know that everything passes and I'm OK with it. I embrace my fluctuating emotions. That's something I didn't feel at ease with when I was younger.

How's the strength of your emotions changed? - Emotions are still very strong just as they used to be.

Do you find you have more control over them now? - Yes, definitely. Well, at least I think I have. I get overwhelmed by my emotions all the time but I'm able to deal much better with them. I still get the feeling of running away from my emotions but I'm much more willing to stay and "fight" now. There's much more analyzing going on now than there was when I was younger. I think it was more black and white when I was younger but now there's a variety of shades that I refused to see before. And I'm OK to juggle with them :laugh:

Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed? - I've certainly calmed down more. Not that anxious anymore about the things that go on around me and people around me. I used to suppress my emotions/feelings considerably when I was younger, but now I let them run more freely :laugh: It can be a struggle, though.

:laugh: I'll let you know when I think of something I cannot wait to share with the rest of the world. Everything changes, embrace it.
Actually, I've always felt about 4-5 years younger than my actual age. I like it :laugh:

Oh, and yeah. I use much more smileys now in my old age;)

Last edited:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ

Mental

Are you as sharp as you used to be? Still the same i suppose
Do you think as much? Pretty much the same
Are you as creative, theoretically?I am creative when it comes to my kids school projects
Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to?I ask more questions now
Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area?No

Physical

Did a crazy 3 hours dance workout the other day, 2 days later and the muscles in my neck and shoulders still hurt. Have to remember sometimes just how old i am and not the age i am in my head

Emotional

How's the stability of your emotions going?Better now than in the past
How's the strength of your emotions changed?Try to put more emphesis on thinking as opposed to feeling
Do you find you have more control over them now?Hell yes
Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed?Slightly jaded that people suck when they claim to love you

I can't complain, i still look great for my age. My laughter lines around my eyes are becoming more prodominant, got to sort out the little flabby bits on my upper arms but i think i am in a better place emotionally and physically than i was 10 years ago. You stop sweating the small stuff as you get older and all of lifes little ot huge knockbacks just make you as stronger person.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't feel like answering all your questions, but I'll give you a couple of things I've noticed. They might be specific for me, but I don't think so.

1. You know that feeling you get every now and then, where you're absolutely buzzing for no particular reason but especially when you're eg out on the town with friends? That feeling where you want to run around and yell and scream and do stupid things? An irresistible physical high, almost? Well that disappears.

2. Okay I was going to give you a few more but I think they'd mostly be bitterness. You'll probably learn a lot about bitterness as you get older. It's a different beast from the younger equivalent, feeding as it does on far more regrets.

3. Alright I'll give you one more. Making close friends? Way harder. Way, way harder. So make sure you get yourself a good set before you're 25 because chances are they'll have to last a long time. I'm not quite sure why this is. I have theories but they're pretty fuzzy.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Mental

Are you as sharp as you used to be? Oh I think so.
Do you think as much? More. Way more.
Are you as creative, theoretically? Probably more.
Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to? Even more. Stopping learning is something I could never do, regardless of my age. This is why I am considering another degree even.
Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area? Not significantly. I've always wanted to learn and know everything. I think now I am more apt to look at methods and ways that I may not have considered when I was younger.

Physical

Anything not obvious you'd think I or anyone else would like to know about? I think I am better shape now than before I had kids (early-mid 20's). It is a little harder to keep weight off than it was then, although I eat much, much better now than I did then and regularly exercise. Lack of sleep will catch up to me faster and I'm much more inclined to not ignore my health as I use to be.

Emotional

If you had powerful, deep, profound, mystical, whatever emotions/feelings before, do they still occur the same? How's their strength/importance to you changed? I think I'm capable of more profound feelings. When you hit 40 I think you "feel" your mortality and you want things to be felt deeply. I had never been in love until I was like 34 for example. The shock that I had not previously felt that was overwhelming when it did happen. I did feel a little I guess behind the curve at the time. But I'm so glad it happened when it did. So. Glad.

If you never had such feelings before, anything changed? I'm more able to show what I'm feeling than I have ever been. That some of what I saw as weakness wasn't anything close to that.

How's the stability of your emotions going? I don't think that will ever vary much.
How's the strength of your emotions changed? I feel strong emotions strongly, I also let stuff that doesn't matter go.
Do you find you have more control over them now? Yes

Anything else outside these dimensions you think has changed due to aging? I know I enjoy and stop to enjoy life much more than I did before. When my kids were small and I worked like crazy and barely slept, I missed a lot. Now I don't miss what is important. My family and home life are not something I want to be away from for long. Sometimes I find a grey hair or I look at the wrinkles around my eyes and go FUCK! but that's just my vanity talking. I look pretty good for my age. Mentally I am much better. There isn't much to complain about but man...I like luxury in places I never even thought I'd care about in the past. My vehicle, furniture, sheets on my bed, even food. I notice the better things way more now. Nothing gets taken for granted.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thanks for all the responses so far!:D

Liking the answers. Maybe it won't be so bad afterall!

I'm expecially pleased about the emotional answers. More control, as much power. I look forward to it.

Mentally as sharp and basically as creative. Good good.

Do you have any more questions? I'll be glad to answer if I can.

Thanks for breaking the ice! I knew someone would see past the rudeness of my OP:D

Very interesting stuff though. I'll be sure to ask any more Q's that come to mind. (anyone else want to throw some in?)

If you are in your late teens/early 20's you are most likely experiencing some turmoil just trying to get your adult life started. Most people at your age are bogged down with college, jobs, meeting new people, losing touch with old friends. You want to get out in the real world and live your life but circumstances have you still at home answering to parents, or dealing with the dynamics of sharing a place with other people, some of them may have been friends but now that you're living with them you're finding their habits are getting on your last nerve. Everything seems to be coming at you too fast but at the same time you feel like it's not going fast enough. Things are unsettling. You're making choices every day that you never had to deal with before and you're feeling a bit burdened, pressured, and unsure of yourself.

I could very well be off the mark here, but am I close? How are you doing emotionally?

Yeah you're pretty much there. Except for the living with other people part. The people I live with, including myself, are so laid back we don't conflict at all really. Only been a year so far though, and new people are moving in. During the holidays I do still answer to my parents aswell.

I feel like I should be getting so much done. Learning lots of skills (languages, instruments, programming, cooking), lots of knowledge (physics, philosophy, maths, history, religion), training my body, writing stuff, making stuff, creating new theories, helping people, meditation, emotional development etc. It gets quite overwhelming, and frustrating when I inevitably fail.

I'm not unsure of myself, I'm completely bewildered of myself! I have no idea what I'm doing in the grand scheme of things. I'm just winging it at the moment, doing what I think will help the most in future. My body, mind and emotions are very unpredictable from my POV.

Emotionally, I think I'm doing quite well really. I'm difficult to upset and easy to excite. Annoyance is probably my main negative emotion, along with too much pride, if that's an emotion (I can't always take advice very well). I get nice powerful, deep, overwhelming feelings I can dwell on a lot. Generally I'm happy, if quite frustrated.

over 21 and old? Old? OLD?
:laugh:

Sorry!

I meant Antediluvian.

1. You know that feeling you get every now and then, where you're absolutely buzzing for no particular reason but especially when you're eg out on the town with friends? That feeling where you want to run around and yell and scream and do stupid things? An irresistible physical high, almost? Well that disappears.

Awww:(

2. Okay I was going to give you a few more but I think they'd mostly be bitterness. You'll probably learn a lot about bitterness as you get older. It's a different beast from the younger equivalent, feeding as it does on far more regrets.

Ha, an obvious one! Everyone knows old people are bitter souls.

3. Alright I'll give you one more. Making close friends? Way harder. Way, way harder. So make sure you get yourself a good set before you're 25 because chances are they'll have to last a long time. I'm not quite sure why this is. I have theories but they're pretty fuzzy.

Noted.

I don't think I'm old by the way, but I am older than 21 as you asked in the OP post. :p

Significantly!

Thanks though. I just thought 21+ was when the downward spiral aging process kicked in.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Thanks though. I just thought 21+ was when the downward spiral aging process kicked in.

I was going to answer, but now after this cheeky comment, I shall have to ponder whether you are ready or even worthy, young padawan.

Your title was eye-catching and forgivable, but this? You have much to learn, you do.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I was going to answer, but now after this cheeky comment, I shall have to ponder whether you are ready or even worthy, young padawan.

Your title was eye-catching and forgivable, but this? You have much to learn, you do.

I apologise for my immaturity. But please don't hold back because of me!

Think of the other people who are denied of your wisdom, because of my errors!

Think of BlackCat! He will punish me for denying him knowledge:(

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Mental

Do you think as much?
^^ all of those more than ever. I was always curious but now I'm insatiable.

I'm a lot more focused with my mental energy.

Physical

Dude, you gotta keep on top of your workouts and make sure you get enough sleep. And I also can't drink all night and then roll into work straight from the party anymore. I could survive the day but I will be paying for it sometime later that week.

Emotional

I don't know if that changes much. Your life is filled with profound feelings from day one. But I guess I learned the power of acceptance, which was definitely profound. I don't lose my patience as easily.

^^my emotional state is the same, but I am more aware and compassionate. I am not as reckless with people's feelings as I used to be.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ

I agree with this one. Fun doesn't mean 'fun' anymore. I might say I had fun, but it was actually a really good time. I might say I had a blast, but it was better than a good time. I seldom experience the raw fun I had as a kid and I miss it.

I agree with this to a point. Everyone is busy and it's hard to get together long enough to develop a connection. Anyone who still has good friends from their 20's, good for you, but most people I know loose touch over the years. It's that life getting in the way thing again.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ

Why bitter? No bitterness here.

Bay

isnt 'old' enough of a description of how bad its goning to be

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm 40

Mental

Are you as sharp as you used to be? = Mentally, I felt like I started taking hits in the "quickness" department in my mid-30's. I also started to consistently forget names, even of people I knew well ... it would just not come to the surface, and I'd draw a complete blank.

However, I also was undergoing major depression through much of my 30's and have slept poorly for a number of years, so I think that might be more the root than aging per se.

Any computational speed I have lost, I've gained in depth-of-insight, I think, though. So I'm still content.

Do you think as much? = I was completely passive and thought tediously about everything. Now I have a much richer, more varied tapestry of experience, and I actively engage the world. I don't think that means I "think less" but simply that I have stopped being so lopsided or thinking in isolation... I'm more apt to enjoy the moments.

Are you as creative, theoretically? = No, I think I had more ambition + more flashes of unexpected insight in my 20's.

Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to? = I do, but whereas before it was all theoretical knowledge, now I'm far more apt to acquire it via immersion learning or relating to others. Life is learning, there's a lot to explore.

Physical

= I move more comfortably in my body and have accepted myself, good and bad. I get tired easier, I need more rest, I have to eat better, it takes me longer to recuperate, I get worn out faster. I do have aches and pains that I never experienced before but I'm realizing it's just 'age' stuff, not that it means something is wrong.

Emotional

If you had powerful, deep, profound, mystical, whatever emotions/feelings before, do they still occur the same? How's their strength/importance to you changed? = I trust my feelings more than I used to -- they're an indicator of inner state, or of perceived violation of my identity, or expressing my desires -- another whole source of data I ignored when young in favor of the entirely rational. I get a lot more "N-style" flashes and metaphors, pattern recognition, than I did before.

How's the stability of your emotions going? I am no longer constantly anxious and depressed. There is more a natural ebb/flow to my emotions, rather than pervasive negative intensity. When I cry now, it feels natural and even good.

How's the strength of your emotions changed? I dunno. Now my emotions are more tempered, and I know how to deal with them, when to go with them and when to put a rein on it.

Do you find you have more control over them now? = Yes.

Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed? = I am more accepting of others, I realize who I like and dislike (before, I felt like I had to like everyone!) and sometimes those feelings are STRONG, I view emotions as positive, I love life, I give myself over to emotions more than I did in the past (while still keeping tabs so I don't make a misstep).