User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENTP

age 32

Mental

Are you as sharp as you used to be?
    Not sure what you mean by sharp, exactly. I still think very quickly and am probably even better at being decisive and taking action than I used to be. But I'm getting less good at expressing my perceptions and thoughts, as the ideas dawns on me more and more strongly as time goes by that it doesn't really matter, and that I can't be bothered to battle through the inevitable misunderstandings like I used to.

Do you think as much?

Yes, but more about the world around me and other people and less about myself. Used to be the other way round, specially in my teens.

Are you as creative, theoretically?

What's the "theoretically" part? And do you mean just in the sense of The Arts, or all the other manifestations of creativity that have nothing to do with painting, singing, writing, etc?
    I don't write anywhere near as much as I used to, because I got a bit more real about myself and realized that there really isn't a remarkable talent here, so figured I'd rather not waste my time.

Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to?
    Very much more so. But different kinds of knowledge, largely those not found in books.

Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area?

Thirst for adventure and travel has increased tenfold, and only gets stronger the more it's fed! And I've stopped caring whether other people think I'm intelligent or not.

Physical

I was never particularly physical, but what lip service I did to deliberate exercise was always mainly social. For instance, I skateboarded because it was what we all did together as friends, and though I enjoyed it, it wasn't purely for itself. As I've got older and the social activities are less park/sport related, I've got lazier! Some of my buds go to the gym, but I can't do that for money and other reasons, so yeah... if your primary motivation for exercising when you do it is having someone to do it with, as opposed to being one of those people who loves sports for their own sake, then it gets harder to not get fat as you get older.

Emotional

If you had powerful, deep, profound, mystical, whatever emotions/feelings before, do they still occur the same? How's their strength/importance to you changed?
    I didn't

If you never had such feelings before, anything changed?
    Uh... I think I was very nearly at a point the other day when someone said "follow your heart" and for once, I NEARLY didn't make with the "wtf is that meant to mean?" hand gestures.

How's the stability of your emotions going? Not much different.
    How's the strength of your emotions changed? They've got weaker, but despite that, I notice them more.
    Do you find you have more control over them now? well, there are lots of different kinds of emotions and some I have better control over than others.
    Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed? become more sensitive and clued-in to other people's feelings than I used to be.

Anything else outside these dimensions you think has changed due to aging?

Gets harder to take younger people seriously, the older I get and the more I learn, the bigger I realize the vacuum of experience and knowledge is inside their heads. Also I seem to get scarier to younger people as I get older. I mean like, when I was in my 20's, I could walk past a bunch of teenagers in the street and they'd give me a bunch of mouth, or otherwise try to show off to each other at my expense. Nowadays though, I'm told by one teenager I know that the reason this doesn't happen any more is because I give them a look of thinly veiled contempt and dismissal that makes them sorta shrivel up a bit. Like I just haven't got time for their crap. I'm not sure what I think of that, though, or to what extent it's just that kid's opinion.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I have a few questions for those significantly older than, say, 21.

I'm interested in knowing what I have to look forward to, with the whole aging process thing you guys have been through. It's gonna be pretty vague, I'm afraid.

Questions:-

Note: I'm more concerned with the non-environmental factors of aging (aging itself, as opposed to getting older), but I imagine they are hard/logically impossible to isolate.
    Mental

Are you as sharp as you used to be?
    Do you think as much?
    Are you as creative, theoretically?
    Do you still thirst for knowledge as much as you used to?
    Anything else you feel has changed significantly in this area?

Physical

It's all pretty famous in this dimension.
    Anything not obvious you'd think I or anyone else would like to know about?

Emotional

The be all end all for me:-

If you had powerful, deep, profound, mystical, whatever emotions/feelings before, do they still occur the same? How's their strength/importance to you changed?

If you never had such feelings before, anything changed?

How's the stability of your emotions going?
    How's the strength of your emotions changed?
    Do you find you have more control over them now?
    Anything else emotionally/feelingly changed?

Anything else outside these dimensions you think has changed due to aging?

That's all the questions I can think of at the moment. Any relevant responses appreciated!
    Well, since plenty of other younger than 40's people are answering, I'll jump in the mix.

Umm, I'm about as sharp as I used to be. Any reduction is due to being around other people who "see the forest but not the trees" or something like that. I still regularly catch when people misspeak and the like, so I feel like I'm still very sharp.

Do I think as much? Ummm, yeah probably. I felt more balanced on the thinking/doing continuum earlier in my life. I work with a lot of cerebral not very social people, and have been in that type of culture for like 8 or 9 years. I don't recommend it, balance is important.

Creative? I'm not sure I was ever creative... My Ne is still quite active though if thats what you mean.

Thirst for knowledge? Dude, I spent 10.5 years in college [and no I don't have a PhD, but I did come kinda close], but that somehow didn't manage to kill my interest in learning. This INFP is very resilient!

Physical: I've heard that people bodies often start slowing down at or before age 30. Other than that I can't abuse my body as much, I've not noticed anything yet. But I do stretching and breathing everyday [~15 yrs martial arts, ~10 yrs yoga]. There are tai chi people in their 80's with the vitality of teenagers. Take care of your body and you'll be fine

Emotionally: I've always had deep feelings, INFP here, and they still are. Being around INTJ's reduces their intensity and gives me more of a cerebral vibe. I'm working on putting up MUCH stronger walls....I've found that there are less people interested in having deep emotional experiences with you as you get older though, or maybe they are interested but just don't have much time...

I've always had control over my emotions, or at least I could direct the aquaducts down which my emotional waters flow. I will say work is not an emotionally positive fun place to be. But I'm an engineer with advanced physics training whose been drowned in INTJ cultures, so ymmv.

I remember when I was a physics TA and had students in there 30's and 40's I would ask them how they change from when they were my/our age. Generally I heard that they were more jaded due to life experiences. I can totally see that, but personally try to keep jadedness to a minimum. That definitely takes effort though...

Fwiw, other than having been through some VERY negative experiences and trying to just survive in "hostile [cultural] territory", I feel like I'm basically the same person I was at 25 and 21 and 16 and 10. I read somewhere that unlike others, INFP's often feel like they are still the same person regardless of their age. We tend to know ourselves very well, the outer particular details tend to matter less to us.

One piece of advice, do what you want to do. Wherever you go or whatever you do you'll always meet new people. Don't somehow hold yourself back in the notion of "doing something for others." Others probably wont know or care, and those who are worth helping will respect you for you anyways and probably not care what you choose to do. For example, I would have loved to live in China but felt a "responsibility" to people/circumstances not to because I "should" stay here and finish some programs I started. Arguably I got very f_cked over by some of those circumstances, arguably they don't do much for me now, and I have no trips to China to show for it. Systems generally aren't loyal to individuals, be careful of giving yourself away to some system that doesn't personally care about you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

A better phrasing just came to me "Don't not live your life." If you want to move, give it a try. If you wanna change careers, give it a try. People generally aren't going to reward you for staying in some circumstance that you don't want to be in. Or at best, if they do reward you for being in some circumstance you don't want to be in, their reward probably won't hold much meaning/value to you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    That's why I didn't answer; although, you change so much in your 20s, I already feel quite different from how I was at 21.
    OA, if I may ask, how do you feel different than form when you were say 21?

I'm asking because, as noted in my response above, apparently INFP's often feel like the same person throughout their lives, as opposed to feeling like "a totally different person" between say 25 and 30 for example.

More confident, more assertive, less trusting, more jaded? I think we can learn a lot from our partners, though I can't speak form experience there. More well-rounded? More like your "owning" your Fi or Ne? More developed in your other functions?