User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 30

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ExTJ
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    If fictional, it's much easier to not worry about it. It does kind of ruin it for me when unnamed bystanders get killed off without a thought.

  2. #12
    Senior Member niffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I think I remember my INFP daughter putting Sims in the swimming pool then deleting the ladder so they would fall asleep in the pool and drown.

    She really liked the little cemeteries, I think.

    I'm not really sure why suffering is funny, to be honest. Maybe we're just relieved it isn't us?
    I do this whenever I play Sims. I also pause the game and build fences around people so that they can't escape, and I let them die. I never let them get killed by fire though...the fire's always freaked me out somehow. Also, I usually always feel kind of sad when my sims die, even if it was me that killed them.

    It's more of an experimentation thing for me. I want to see how realistic the program will be, and I like the power. Controlling stuff is fun. Sims is one of the ways people can express their inner control-freaks in their lives that they otherwise don't have much control over at all.

    I never sit through their deaths, watching intently and shivering with glee at their every moan though. I just fast forward through them to get to the end result. It's interesting, like conducting a science lab kinda.

    My ISTJ friend once told me that she constantly cleans out her computer and deletes all files she hasn't used recently, just because she can "feel the computer suffering". I told her I had 5.6 GB of music files on my computer, and she started shaming me and telling me I was evil and a hypocrite (??!?). I told her that computers don't suffer, they're machines and she insisted that they did.

    edit: What I'm trying to say with my last section is that the images in games and the characters people play out with dolls and stuff aren't humans, even though we might give human attributes to them. Where the line is drawn is ultimately cultural.
    Last edited by niffer; 09-24-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: boob cheese
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    "He he he. It's funny cause I don't know him."
    -Homer Simpson

  4. #14
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    I think the Sims thing is not really the same as finding actual violence and misfortune funny. For some of us it's harder to separate and so we project our own perceptions onto people who can. My daughter's the NF to end all NFs, and even she likes to make the Sims wet their pants and die. But she's not a kid who finds real pants-wetting funny-- she said to me once about a kid who wet his at school "and I just felt so awful for him, he was embarrassed and he even cried and the other boys made fun of him for that too." Stuff like video game violence, to me, is not so much enjoying violence as it is poking a system to find the parameters of the system.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  5. #15
    Senior Member Sahara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    If Roman gladiatorial combat still existed, I would watch it (and it would probably be one of the most watched televised sports). But then...I am a guy, and an INTJ.

    If it was still around, that would mean that the majority of people still enjoyed it, so not only you but many others would watch it with relish, no different to how it was back then.

    I can not compare a computer game, and beating people up etc in a game as enjoying and lauging and suffering, because it is just a game.

    Yet log into youtube and search up the happy slapping craze that is getting much worse in the UK, and you will see that there are thousands who get off on watching real people suffer, it's disgusting. Groups will jump on teenagers, or adults, and beat them senseless, film it and upload it on youtube for the amusement of others, it's sick. Why can't they feel satisfied torturing a simm to death? :steam:

    People are filming stab victims dying, rather than using their mobiles to phone for help.

    I hate people.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

  6. #16
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    People are filming stab victims dying, rather than using their mobiles to phone for help.

    I hate people.
    Not everyone's like that, you know. The people that do that just aren't in touch with their hearts. Don't blame everyone for what a few did. Don't give up on everyone.

  7. #17
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ExTJ
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Not everyone's like that, you know. The people that do that just aren't in touch with their hearts. Don't blame everyone for what a few did. Don't give up on everyone.
    And out of touch with their brains, I have a feeling that they would rather get help in that situation rather than turn into an internet video.

  8. #18
    Senior Member snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Socionics
    SLI
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    ... Stuff like video game violence, to me, is not so much enjoying violence as it is poking a system to find the parameters of the system.
    But do you know that? You are assuming it's not enjoying violence for everyone. But some people might be living through computer violence as if were real. Would you condemn that? Or would you say that too is "just computer violence"?


    Quote Originally Posted by celesul View Post
    And snegledmaca, your avatar is awesome.
    I love it. It's so cute

    Thanks for the compliment.

  9. #19
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca View Post
    But do you know that? You are assuming it's not enjoying violence for everyone. But some people might be living through computer violence as if were real. Would you condemn that? Or would you say that too is "just computer violence"?
    That would be why I said "to me." That was my point, actually-- that not everyone has the same mindset, and it's not fair to superimpose your own mindset over someone else's actions because they may not be approaching things the same way you would.

    I'm sure there are some people who enjoy video game violence because they would (or do) enjoy real violence. That would disturb me but I'm not sure I would "condemn" it exactly. It's still up in the air whether that kind of sublimation prevents or encourages further violence.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #20
    Senior Member snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Socionics
    SLI
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That would be why I said "to me." That was my point, actually-- that not everyone has the same mindset, and it's not fair to superimpose your own mindset over someone else's actions because they may not be approaching things the same way you would.

    I'm sure there are some people who enjoy video game violence because they would (or do) enjoy real violence. That would disturb me but I'm not sure I would "condemn" it exactly. It's still up in the air whether that kind of sublimation prevents or encourages further violence.
    Sorry, didn't see the "to me". I feel that propensity towards violence is inherent. Mostly because I have none and violent video games repel me instead of attract me. I guess I see them as a manifestation rather then a cause. Perhaps even used as indicators (Drawn to violence - higher possibility that the individual enjoys violence).

Similar Threads

  1. Why do we fear what we don't understand?
    By foolish heart in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
  2. Why do we do the things we do?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
  3. Why do we die?
    By JocktheMotie in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 03:14 PM
  4. Why do we seek moral absolutes?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
  5. Why do we not want those we care about to do drugs?
    By KarenParker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO