User Tag List

123 Last

Default Why do you 'laugh'?

I often use "haha" or "lol" if I'm insecure about what I'm saying.
    Maybe you have heard of this wisdom:
    People 'laugh' about themselves because then the other one can only say something better.

A: Let's do [...]! Oh, I'm so stupid for proposing this, haha.
    B: No, you're so intelligent.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

they say monkeys smile when they are scared/hostile. I see your point cause people do laugh for the same reasons too.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

hm, i was wondering last night why people scream. then it hit me, survival no doubt. i figure the same goes for laughing.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by hommefatal View Post
    I often use "haha" or "lol" if I'm insecure about what I'm saying.
    Maybe you have heard of this wisdom:
    People 'laugh' about themselves because then the other one can only say something better.
    I don't say anything I don't mean, both in the Internet and in real life. But I usually leave some things unsaid. I "laugh" fairly often and it is usually about the things that I do find amusing and I want to emphasize that.

The insecurity part sounds about right. I do that too, sometimes. But I don't think it's actually about fishing for compliments. I believe it's more about self-preservation. Leaving yourself a back door out of the situation if the person you're talking with doesn't come along with your ideas. That way you feel less awkward and can quickly move on.

Dali

I laugh when amused, shocked by something and, (something I picked up when living in SE Asia) I give a bit of a chuckle when embarrassed about a particular situation.

MBTI
    I

Because something is funny. If I type in lol or haha, it doesn't mean I'm laughing in real life. It's usually different, I'm either just filling in the blanks, being sarcastic, or just amused.

MBTI
    entp

it takes a certain amount of guts to talk about something you are insecure about or something you are really private about...something that is sure to alter people's opinion of you...so you put it out there and 'lol' to put them and yourself at ease. prolly more for yourself more than others

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    they say monkeys smile when they are scared/hostile. I see your point cause people do laugh for the same reasons too.
    Bullshit... i smile when i am entertained or when i sense that i have the upper hand in a clash.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    ESFJ

When i lol or lmao .. it is because i am laughing out loud or chuckling to myself to the amusement of my children who think i am crazy.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Sniffles

I often laugh when I'm in need to relax and/or uplift myself when times are down. This especially happened last night when I was trying to recover from a panic attack I had.