User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default How do you think?

I've always wondered this. I literally think in complete sentences; if there's a time when I don't, then I guess I've never noticed. And this is really weird, but if I don't think in a grammatically correct way, I'll be like, editing my thoughts. In my head. The grammatical thing is probably abnormal, but is thinking in sentences a common thing, you think? Do you normally pay attention to your thoughts? In what types of situations/environments are you more aware of your thoughts?

Also, my counselor talked about our "pathological critic" (who probably resembles this ). It's the voice in your head that only wants to bring you down. When you begin to pay attention, you might catch yourself thinking negative things about yourself (wow you look ugly, you can never do that, you're a mean person, etc.). That's the work of this guy. --->

Now, when I hear those negative things, I tell myself, "Shut the fuck up." In my mind. And it works.

So, can you relate to that? Do you have a pathological critic, and if so, what do you do to combat those negative thoughts?
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by rainoneventide
    Do you have a pathological critic, and if so, what do you do to combat those negative thoughts?
    Oh yes, I have a very active pathological critic. When I'm not indulging him, I tell myself that I don't have to see things the way he does, and that works to a certain extent. It's very easy to slip back into the negative way of looking at everything, though, and that's where I find myself most of the time.

As far as my thoughts in general, there was a topic awhile back where people described their inner worlds, and my posts were a pretty accurate description. The only thing I can really add to what I said there is that my thoughts are usually a mix of images that flash through my head and conversations between myself and myself. Those thoughts are most lucid when I'm alone; among people, my thoughts sort of blank out and I go on autopilot. It's probably a coping mechanism for what would otherwise be crippling self-consciousness (my pathological critic).
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by rainoneventide View Post
    The grammatical thing is probably abnormal, but is thinking in sentences a common thing, you think? Do you normally pay attention to your thoughts? In what types of situations/environments are you more aware of your thoughts?
    I actually don't always think in sentences. Sometimes I'll think in pictures/symbols or in theories/concepts. When I do think in sentences, I don't usually edit them for grammar. Usually it's just talking to myself but not out loud...and when I speak it's pretty jumbled anyway so I don't care. Or sometimes I think too much about a topic and forget what I was thinking about in the first place. Yes, I'm insane.

So, can you relate to that? Do you have a pathological critic, and if so, what do you do to combat those negative thoughts?
    Yes, I have a pathological critic. I picture this critic as an actual person because I know if there were a person that critical who followed me around in real life, I'd probably defend myself or tell him to get lost. I ask myself, "Would I criticize/judge one of my friends this harshly?" and the answer is usually "Definitely NOT!". And shouldn't I treat myself as kindly as I treat my friends? Also, I heard a really good story once from a teacher of mine. (This is my paraphrasing.) She said there was once a little boy who went to an elder for advice. He said, "I have a problem. I try to think positive thoughts but the negative thoughts just seem to creep up on me. Sometimes it feels like there are two dogs fighting in my head." The elder asked, "Well son, which dog are you feeding?"
    "Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you're really looking for are the 64-color boxes...I fancy myself to be a 64-color box...I can only meet the 8-color boxes...I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation...so when I meet someone who's an 8-color type... I'm like, "Hey girl, magenta!" and she's like, "Oh, you mean purple!" and she goes off on her purple thing, and I'm like, "No - I want magenta!" -John Mayer

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I've always wondered this. I literally think in complete sentences; if there's a time when I don't, then I guess I've never noticed. And this is really weird, but if I don't think in a grammatically correct way, I'll be like, editing my thoughts. In my head. The grammatical thing is probably abnormal, but is thinking in sentences a common thing, you think? Do you normally pay attention to your thoughts? In what types of situations/environments are you more aware of your thoughts?

Also, my counselor talked about our "pathological critic" (who probably resembles this ). It's the voice in your head that only wants to bring you down. When you begin to pay attention, you might catch yourself thinking negative things about yourself (wow you look ugly, you can never do that, you're a mean person, etc.). That's the work of this guy. --->

Now, when I hear those negative things, I tell myself, "Shut the fuck up." In my mind. And it works.

I mostly think in movies and images.. but when i'm stressed mostly fragmented sentences that sounds like a jury all fighting together and nobody listening.. I guess that's what I would call the critic.. I actually think " shut up" too. Never works. Then I do a mind clearing thing- sleep, go for a jog, drink a bunch, deep breathe.

MBTI
    INTP

My pathological critic tell me I'm so awesome it hurts.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    My pathological critic tell me I'm so awesome it hurts.
    Can I rent it?
    "Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you're really looking for are the 64-color boxes...I fancy myself to be a 64-color box...I can only meet the 8-color boxes...I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation...so when I meet someone who's an 8-color type... I'm like, "Hey girl, magenta!" and she's like, "Oh, you mean purple!" and she goes off on her purple thing, and I'm like, "No - I want magenta!" -John Mayer