• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The flow: when?

Mole

Permabanned
When are you in the state where you feel the flow or are in the flow?

I am in the flow when I lose track of time.

And I am in the flow when I am doing something for its own sake - that is, I am doing something for an intrinsic purpose rather than an extrinsic purpose.

But most of all the flow gives me complete satisfaction. Not 90% satisfaction, not 99% satisfaction, but 100% satisfaction.

In essence the flow is a trance where the critical mind is temporarily asleep and the creative mind wakes up.

But the first step of entering the lflow is interesting. And it is the preparation to enter the flow.

For with your critical mind in abeyance, whatever you are will come out in the flow.

So the first step towards the flow is to become a good person - to become good to yourself and good to those around you.

And then you will be ready to enter the flow.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Thanks Victor!

People aren't interested of the flow. :(

I get the flow when dancing, when doing problem solving at work with innovative people, when reading a good book, when playing online roleplaying, when drawing, when gardening

Mole

Permabanned
Thanks Victor!

People aren't interested of the flow. :(

I get the flow when dancing, when doing problem solving at work with innovative people, when reading a good book, when playing online roleplaying, when drawing, when gardening

Well, Alcea, I am very interested in the flow. I read Mihaly's book when it first came out.

And if I understand it, flow is what happens when you are working creatively.

From my point of view, I am interested in the interface between flow and the everyday.

For when I am in my everyday mind I find it hard to imagine being in flow.

And when I am in flow, I have no idea of it stopping.

And yet in some way, without me quite knowing how, I alternate between the two - between flow and the everyday.

And I suspect it is the alternance that is the most important part.

However I do like to share flow with others. A very nice way to do it is by dancing together. Or by working with innovative people.

I am keen to share flow on the internet. I don't know if you are the person to do it with. But who knows?

But whatever happens, I like to think of you flowing.

Victor.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I was talking about this with someone the other day.

I'm in the flow when driving sans Ti (a recent development for me). There's the effortless acceleration, merging with traffic, knowing where cars are and what they're going to do and it feels very natural.