• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do I need a gun to my head? Is that it?

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've been thinking about this for a while now. I want to change, I want to take hold of my life and fully experience it before I'm six feet under. But something stops me--I'm afraid of change, I'm afraid of the unknown. What is it that I'm waiting for? What do I need to do in order to convince myself to stomach these fears and charge ahead? I've done all the research, I've talked to all the right people. I've pondered and journaled and cried. I've debated with myself and always came with the same conclusion--all I need to do is to take action, to commit, even if it hurts, even if it's scary. But I haven't taken action. I'm afraid I never well, yet for some reason I hold on to this possibility that things will change--eventually.

Does anyone else ever suffer the same quandary? What do you do in order to overcome your hesitations and fears? What are you waiting for?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I go through these same stages of panic leading up to the changes I inevitably enact. :D

Good sign!

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disabled all my thread subscriptions, so you send a bogus friend request to lure me back here.

Again, I see you are practically begging me to come back here and start a flight. Why? I've have not seen much skill lately but I have seen some in the past. Who trains to learn these skills? Who get paid to do it?

My only reasoning is that you have been chained to your desks at Langley for too long. Go out and get some fresh air bozos!

What in the world are you yammering about?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If you're anything like me (and it sounds like you are), you probably do. I know I actually work better with a gun to my head, although ironically I find myself trying to minimize the number of guns pointed at my head to reduce my stress levels.

Well, you don't need one, I guess... if you work up the motivation and can force yourself to act, you can manage the change. But it can take a while. Don't be discouraged if it takes you months, or even years, to start on a process that should only take a week or day for most people to prepare for.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I know it, I know it thats an easy one: You need a goal !!

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I've been thinking about this for a while now. I want to change, I want to take hold of my life and fully experience it before I'm six feet under. But something stops me--I'm afraid of change, I'm afraid of the unknown. What is it that I'm waiting for? What do I need to do in order to convince myself to stomach these fears and charge ahead? I've done all the research, I've talked to all the right people. I've pondered and journaled and cried. I've debated with myself and always came with the same conclusion--all I need to do is to take action, to commit, even if it hurts, even if it's scary. But I haven't taken action. I'm afraid I never well, yet for some reason I hold on to this possibility that things will change--eventually.

Does anyone else ever suffer the same quandary? What do you do in order to overcome your hesitations and fears? What are you waiting for?

Just do anything. Who cares? Just do it.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Just do anything. Who cares? Just do it.
The simplicity of that statement is actually really helpful. I think I'm going to start saying things like that in my mind instead of the long, dramatic monologues like above--thanks. :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
So you totally ignored the simplicity of my statement ?

You must be a total genius !

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So you totally ignored the simplicity of my statement ?

You must be a total genius !
Sarcasm :(
I read and take into account every post in my threads; I'm just too lazy to respond to all of them.
But yeah, setting a goal that will force me to look forward instead of behind is a good idea--now that I think about it, my goal is mostly "to get better", and that's pretty vague, lol.
Paired with LucrativeSid's suggestion, I think I'll try and set small goals every weak so that things don't seem so overwhelming.
Thank ya thank ya :)